You all need to recycle your carburetor based chainsaws and get the 500i

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I went to the site mentioned above that gives the weight of different species of wood per cord.
It also will list the millions of BTU's per cord.

So, If I had a 1000 pounds of dry cottonwood it would equal 7,550,000 BTU's
If I had a 1000 pounds of dry red oak, it would equal 6,388,000 BTU's
But since we do not measure firewood by the weight but by the cord then of course you will have a lot more BTU's from the red oak.
But it does look like per pound that cottonwood has more BTU's than red oak. When dry.

So I went to the site mentioned above that gives the weight of different species of wood per cord.
It also will list the millions of BTU's per cord.

So, If I had a 1000 pounds of dry cottonwood it would equal 7,550,000 BTU's
If I had a 1000 pounds of dry red oak, it would equal 6,388,000 BTU's
But since we do not measure firewood by the weight but by the cord then of course you will have a lot more BTU's from the red oak.
But it does look like per pound that cottonwood has more BTU's than red oak. When dry.
Yeah, I missed the "pounds" spec in the post. My calcs show them (oak, cwood) very close in BTU/lb with the winner depending on east/west and species (if relevant). But as you note firewood is marketed by volume, not weight, so "per cord" drew my attention first.

Cottonwood is plentiful, and easy to get too for me. Out at the cabin the outdoor fire pit likes a mix of cottonwood , spruce, pine and fir. An occasional unpainted pallet etc. lol
I realize that this thread has come off the rails. I own a 500i and really like it. I still think it needs a few more tanks through it to bring it to life. I have no bias toward air fuel delivery system on a saw as long as they work. My ms361 has been a great saw in its size range. Before I got the 500, the poor little 361 had to cut above its weight class many times. It never failed. New technology is not a threat to me. Just don’t force me to run something inferior just because somebody thinks it is a greener alternative.
Back to the derail. My wife’s grandpa was a kid during the depression. A few years back, he buys a gooseneck trailer load of glue lam beam cutoffs and cull lengths. Another guy at the auction asks him what he is going to do with all those beams. He replied “for what I paid for them, I might just use them for firewood”. The other guy starts to get agitated and says “You can’t burn those, they have glue in them!” Her grandad, not missing a beat replied “Glue burns!”

Haha, I like your granddad! The people that came through the depression had a different perspective that lasted their whole lives. Also a toughness that allowed these depression era kids the guts to fight and win ww2. I passed on a 500ir to buy another 661r because I have a 462 but I would love to run a 500i.

I realize that this thread has come off the rails. I own a 500i and really like it. I still think it needs a few more tanks through it to bring it to life. I have no bias toward air fuel delivery system on a saw as long as they work. My ms361 has been a great saw in its size range. Before I got the 500, the poor little 361 had to cut above its weight class many times. It never failed. New technology is not a threat to me. Just don’t force me to run something inferior just because somebody thinks it is a greener alternative.
Back to the derail. My wife’s grandpa was a kid during the depression. A few years back, he buys a gooseneck trailer load of glue lam beam cutoffs and cull lengths. Another guy at the auction asks him what he is going to do with all those beams. He replied “for what I paid for them, I might just use them for firewood”. The other guy starts to get agitated and says “You can’t burn those, they have glue in them!” Her grandad, not missing a beat replied “Glue burns!”
I have not thought of new technology as a threat, but I am not convinced they have all the bugs worked out and when they come out with a generic diagnostic then that will pique my interest a little more. Living in an area where there is no one that I know of that can repair these is a big draw back.

Wonderful saw to work with this 500i. The 462 is even better, a bit faster and a bit lighter. Both great saws to work with in stock form because any mods will not do much for them. In stock form, a 661 seems to be the same as those two but do a simple MM to it and be amazed. Cut that baffle off and enlarge that exit hole, it'll rip your chains.

What does your logger buddy do with those cottonwoods?
He supplies them to a local saw mill that specializes in building commercial pallets. He usually buck cuts them to 9' lengths for loading onto a bunk trailer with a skid loader and a picker truck. Even the big ones make it to the mill:
1641604177296.jpeg
I'm surprised that the picker truck could lift that one on board, but it did.

Staying derailed the point I was trying to make is everyone tells your crazy for burning poplar cotton wood etc they say you will freeze to death there is no heat value on and on but even though it takes a larger pile of wood there is plenty of heat value.
Kash
This is very true. Availability of wood species is always a factor in what a person burns. Given the choice, I will always take the higher btu wood first, but if a person has time and space to process the lesser stuff, more power to them. I am envious of the folks that live in hardwood country, but I do live where the western larch and Doug fir are plentiful. My parents live where a lot fewer trees grow and they choose to heat the house with pellets and natural gas. Dad heats the shop with any wood at all that he can scrounge. Often it is old construction lumber or whatever I bring him when I come to visit. He would gladly take a load of cottonwood.

What were we originally debating in here?
Cottonwood or Poplar as it is known here- we call Gopher wood.
Because if you burn Poplar, you fill the wood box, fill the firebox, sit down, get up fill the firebox, sit down get up fill the firebox and before you know it- you have to go fer more wood!

Yeah, while were at it I thought I'd just apologize for my persistent comments early on in this thread.
I'm actually a humble guy but when I've had a few bottles of fermented grape juice I might get mean and stupid.
But youre all big guys so my guess it did not offend anyone, anyway - better safe than sound.
Thanks.

Staying derailed...
Derailed... we've jumped tracks & are headed in a whole different direction!
I find Polpar is good as a mixing/ starting wood with something heavier. I'd rather burn it than leave it to rot. It soaks up water like a sponge so needs to be kept dry.
I've been told if you mill it fairly thick it makes excellent rails for yards (would need to be treated though).
I know a guy that mills wood for pallets & it's his wood of choice

Back