You all need to recycle your carburetor based chainsaws and get the 500i

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No way to treat a saw, that's just ignorance and lazy. Not brought up to respect tools!
Amen. Here's a quote I wrote following my service to a pair of Stihl saws that a user's father brought in: "Your dad indicated that neither of these saws ran, so I was expecting much worse condition and performance. It appears that saw dust, dirt, grime, and blocked filters accounted for most of the problems you encountered..."
Both saws ran fine after I cleaned them up and did minor tuning. They were literally packed with sawdust inside the carb cover. Imagine filling the carb cover with sawdust and then ramming it back into place. That's what it looked like when I first started to work on them.

Power-to-weight ratio wise the 500 is a stud. However, I wouldn't own one because of the complexity I observed after watching a disassembly video. Just seems over complex and not user friendly to work on.
Agreed, but it's been that way with just about every m-tronic saw that Stihl sells. The worst one I ever worked on is the MS 441cm that I own. Yes, it runs OK now, but I hope I never have to rebuild its top end again. The dealer wanted no part of it and almost did not want to sell me the required parts. Gasp!

Agreed, but it's been that way with just about every m-tronic saw that Stihl sells. The worst one I ever worked on is the MS 441cm that I own. Yes, it runs OK now, but I hope I never have to rebuild its top end again. The dealer wanted no part of it and almost did not want to sell me the required parts. Gasp!
Mtronic adds very little additional complexity.
261, 362, 461, 462 are still relatively simple. The 500, not so much. One of the problem is the design of the 500 is similar in layout to that of a 440 with the carb in the back half, vs that of the 462 with the carb on the front half.
And FWIW I recently bought a NIB 361 from over seas just because I didnt want to deal with this new stuff.

Amen. Here's a quote I wrote following my service to a pair of Stihl saws that a user's father brought in: "Your dad indicated that neither of these saws ran, so I was expecting much worse condition and performance. It appears that saw dust, dirt, grime, and blocked filters accounted for most of the problems you encountered..."
Both saws ran fine after I cleaned them up and did minor tuning. They were literally packed with sawdust inside the carb cover. Imagine filling the carb cover with sawdust and then ramming it back into place. That's what it looked like when I first started to work on them.

Ahem. This is why I stopped trying to help people with problem saws. There are to many people with zero or worse engine knowledge. It is hard or insulting to suggest they check and see if they even have gas in the gas tank. To many people who grow up playing play-station video games expect a reset with the push of a button.

My neighbor had no idea how to clean the air filter, nor how to access it. Now of course all problems are with the air filter cause that is all he knows. IMO, he is scared to take anything apart. He doesn't know how it or any of it works, so best to not touch it, else upset the mystery of it working.

Since you are making a comparison, are we to assume they are pro saws, and perform equal to the 500i? What saws are those, and how did you manage to acquire them at around $300 each? Or are they garage sale wrecks, which would sound right at $300, but who cares?
My MY.
Husky 272 250.00 dollars
Stihl MS460 300.00 dollars
Poulan Pro 475 250.00 dollars
Poulan Pro 505 275.00 Dollars
Jonsered 2083 325.00 Dollars.
Stihl MS 460 275.00 Dollars
Poulan Pro 445.00 250.00 Dollars
Stihl 036 250.00 dollars
Stihl 036 250.00 dollars
Husky 2100CD 250.00 dollars.
All these saws run good and get used. I just rotate them around from year to year. Plus it is a hobby.
I can go on and on. But for a firewood cutter I do not need a 1200 dollar saw to get the job done year after year.
Plus the maintenance and repair is very little because I can repair these and port these myself. I cannot do that to a new Stihl 500i.
So I will take my GARAGE WRECKS any day over your 500i.
To Each Their own and do not worry that 500i will be a garage wreck one day too.

Here is one of your Garage Wrecks right here. Nobody in Cheynne knows how to work on them or has the equipment to work on it. I got it for free because of that very reason.

IMG_1443.JPG

My MY.
Husky 272 250.00 dollars
Poulan Pro 475.00 250.00 dollars
Poulan Pro 505.00 275.00 Dollars
Stihl 036 250.00 dollars
Stihl 036 250.00 dollars
All these saws run good and get used. I just rotate them around from year to year. Plus it is a hobby.
I can go on and on. But for a firewood cutter I do not need a 1200 dollar saw to get the job done year after year.
Plus the maintenance and repair is very little because I can repair these and port these myself. I cannot do that to a new Stihl 500i.
To Each Their own and do not worry that 500i will be a garage wreck one day too.

Here is one of your Garage Wrecks right here. Nobody in Cheynned know how to work on them or has the equipment to work on it. I got it for free because of that very reason.

View attachment 952169
I worked on a TS 700 last summer. What a mess it was. I got it running, but not to my satisfaction. I rebuilt the engine and installed a new carb. I also replaced the water hose. That solved most of the problems, but I decided to go no further. Likely the crank seals were shot also. Parts alone were over $400. I threw in the towel.

I hate admitting defeat, but the dealer had already looked at it before I started and said, "No way, Jose. Buy a new one."

Ahem. This is why I stopped trying to help people with problem saws. There are to many people with zero or worse engine knowledge. It is hard or insulting to suggest they check and see if they even have gas in the gas tank. To many people who grow up playing play-station video games expect a reset with the push of a button.

My neighbor had no idea how to clean the air filter, nor how to access it. Now of course all problems are with the air filter cause that is all he knows. IMO, he is scared to take anything apart. He doesn't know how it or any of it works, so best to not touch it, else upset the mystery of it working.
How do we have the same neighbor?:cheers:

I worked on a TS 700 last summer. What a mess it was. I got it running, but not to my satisfaction. I rebuilt the engine and installed a new carb. I also replaced the water hose. That solved most of the problems, but I decided to go no further. Likely the crank seals were shot also. Parts alone were over $400. I threw in the towel.

I hate admitting defeat, but the dealer had already looked at it before I started and said, "No way, Jose. Buy a new one."
This TS 500i has so much electronics and wires going every where. There is no way to repair a fuel problem with this saw with out the diagnostics from Stihl. I have the Service manual for this saw but it is worthless because all they tell you is to plug it in and run the diagnostics. I do know it is a fuel problem because I can squirt mix down the throttle body throat and it will fire off.

My MY.
Husky 272 250.00 dollars
Stihl 036 250.00 dollars
Stihl 036 250.00 dollars

Here is one of your Garage Wrecks right here. Nobody in Cheynne knows how to work on them or has the equipment to work on it. I got it for free because of that very reason.

View attachment 952169
God Bless Cheyenne, first time I worked on pipeline in that part of the world was a blast! Rode with a group of co-workers on the survey crew over from Kimball NE to go drinking. We went to a large cowboy bar in the southern part of town, outlaws or something like that. We were asked to leave by a very large group of bouncers cause some locals had a problem with some of the Texans in our group(Texans can cause problems wherever they go, even Texas). I remember the head bouncer asking two of us that weren’t causing a ruckus if we wanted any beer to go before we got kicked out. Of course I carried a case out on my way to the cab that they called for us, the others in our group were talking to the police by then. I got a cab ride back to Kimball that night, 100 miles at a $1 a mile, I didn’t go to jail and was at work the next morning so money well spent! 🤣 I went back over to that bar many times even though I don’t care for country music. Always had a good time in Cheyenne!

My MY.
Husky 272 250.00 dollars
Stihl 036 250.00 dollars
Stihl 036 250.00 dollars

View attachment 952169

Very impressive. I don't know about most of those saws, but the ms460 as $300 and another at $275, Wow!

Where in Wyoming is this, so I can begin checking Craigslist and Facebook for such deals? I would do the drive to pick up the same. :ices_rofl:

And, yeah if you don't like or care for the 500i, well that is great for you. And if I was surrounded by locals giving away good running Stihl Pro saws, I might feel the same. :laughing:

Very impressive. I don't know about most of those saws, but the ms460 as $300 and another at $275, Wow!

Where in Wyoming is this, so I can begin checking Craigslist and Facebook for such deals? I would do the drive to pick up the same. :ices_rofl:

And, yeah if you don't like or care for the 500i, well that is great for you. And if I was surrounded by locals giving away good running Stihl Pro saws, I might feel the same. :laughing:
I have 50 running saws and have been collecting for awhile. When I see a deal come along I go for it.
Not all come from Cheyenne.

One of those MS460's came from the classified ads on a different forum. It was already ported.
I even took the cylinder off of it to remove the base gasket and the porting looked pretty good so I left it alone and just did a good muffler mod on it. I think he just wanted a quick sell for what he had in it.

002.JPG

One of those MS460's came from the classified ads on a different forum. It was already ported.
I even took the cylinder off of it to remove the base gasket and the porting looked pretty good so I left it alone and just did a good muffler mod on it. I think he just wanted a quick sell for what he had in it.

View attachment 952209
Just a random hack? If it was already ported why did it need a muffler mod? It’s usually included

Just a random hack? If it was already ported why did it need a muffler mod? It’s usually included
It was already opened up I just wanted to add my own personal touch with the double barrel.
Also it is just a woods ported saw and was not some random hack. There are other very good saw builders around just not on this forum because believe or not some just do not like here.

It was already opened up I just wanted to add my own personal touch with the double barrel.
Also it is just a woods ported saw and was not some random hack. There are other very good saw builders around just not on this forum because believe or not some just do not like here.
Gotcha. The “random hack” comment wasn’t toward you, more to the guy who didn’t rework the muffler. Sorry for the confusion. Just wondering. Seen a few saws lately that were sold as “ported” but had nothing done to the muffler. Very little done inside, actually, but we’re sold as full fledged ported saws.

Totally understand about how many aren’t on here

Gotcha. The “random hack” comment wasn’t toward you, more to the guy who didn’t rework the muffler. Sorry for the confusion. Just wondering. Seen a few saws lately that were sold as “ported” but had nothing done to the muffler. Very little done inside, actually, but we’re sold as full fledged ported saws.

Totally understand about how many aren’t on here
By the way for full disclosure huskihl I am Mag Craft on another forum. You know where.

Latest posts

Back