You all need to recycle your carburetor based chainsaws and get the 500i

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my buddy out in Cali was working after the fires, cutting, and he ran the same filter all season without cleaning it, seeing when it would blow up. mind you it was a Max air flow filter too. he said it was leaning itself out for sure, but kept on chugging.
Wouldn't a chainsaw with a clogged air filter "CHOKE" itself out, rather than "LEAN" itself out?

Wish I could pull up a reference,it might of come from 1 of the big utube tree guys. They were saying the 500 was having some small issues. I want to say they dropped back to the Stihl 400 series

Cadders have a love affair with it while the real world isnt. Notice comments like, I havent run it yet but its my favorite.
Compared to what other saws you havent run.

Time will tell how it does. The real World isnt going to fall in love over night like we do.

I'll agree with the OP.

I have carb saws and will keep several of them around, but they don't leave the shelf like the 261, 462, and now the 500i do. Most guys that feel like the new saws don't perform like the older saws try to use the new saws like the old ones. Dog them in and lean on them hard bringing the RPM's down. Old saws liked that, they made their power down low. New saws do not. They make their power up high in the RPM range where chain speed is high. Let her sing high in the RPMs and have a chain that cuts. It's a lot easier on the body after a full day of cutting. The 500i I can cut all day and feel pretty good. The old 661 I cut all day and I'm wiped. Even though they probably cut the same 'speed'.
I know what you mean. But, much to my amazement, the 500i not only runs well when it screams at high rpm, it also has a wide torque band. I can lean on it and it keeps cutting with a dull chain at lower rpm. I don't like sharpening so I am tempted to use it that way. But I am getting better at keeping the chain sharp since I got the Pferd 2 in one system. It takes less than 5 minutes for me to get the job done with that.

I'm old enough to remember TV with vacuum tubes, or automobiles with points and condensers. Those went the way of the dodo bird despite all the complaints and horror stories of "what if". Guess what happened,,,,? Same will be with the M-Tronic and the new Fuel Injected chainsaws.

Hell don't believe me, after all what do I know. Hang on to the older saws, or better yet, buy all that remain, hoard them, store them, and then you can say "I told you so" at some point down the road.
China and Russia have been making new vacuum tubes for the hifi and guitar amp crowds.Pretty large market.

I know what you mean. But, much to my amazement, the 500i not only runs well when it screams at high rpm, it also has a wide torque band. I can lean on it and it keeps cutting with a dull chain at lower rpm. I don't like sharpening so I am tempted to use it that way. But I am getting better at keeping the chain sharp since I got the Pferd 2 in one system. It takes less than 5 minutes for me to get the job done with that.

It gets easier with better results all the time. Even the 1-systems don't allow the flexibility to address all the sharpening aspects. You'll ditch the Pferd in due time, and never look back.

My standard 500i pissed all over my muffler gutted 7901, pisses all over my 064 and only has a break when I need to get out the 084. 100% reliable money maker after nearly two years of hard use. Overall my second favourite rear handled saw…after my old Dolmar PS52 beater.

China and Russia have been making new vacuum tubes for the hifi and guitar amp crowds.Pretty large market.
Russian vacuum tubes are still used in some high-end audio equipment. Audio Research is one example. You can spend more than 30,000 for one of their amps. Their output is more linear and less out of phase than transistor amps. Yes, this is thread drift. Sorry about that.

I remember my dad telling me that EFI on cars was a joke. He said the carburetor will never be replaced.
I think EFI is cool stuff and I think with time they will perfect it on saws. But myself I am not ready for the cost and I think they still have some bugs to work out.
I work on my own EFI cars because you can buy a can bus reader for a reasonable price and trouble shoot your own car. Can you do that with a EFI chain saw yet.

Very impressive. I don't know about most of those saws, but the ms460 as $300 and another at $275, Wow!

Where in Wyoming is this, so I can begin checking Craigslist and Facebook for such deals? I would do the drive to pick up the same. :ices_rofl:

And, yeah if you don't like or care for the 500i, well that is great for you. And if I was surrounded by locals giving away good running Stihl Pro saws, I might feel the same. :laughing:
My MS460 cost me $450 right after hurricane sandy in 2012. Saw had been run over and the gas tank was cracked . Guy I bought it from was the shop mechanic. Tree service already bought a new one before he got it fixed so they sold it. Also grabbed a new in the box Husky 350 for $150 . Seems they sent the one of the guys out to buy any saws they could get their hands on.

Yep. If you want clean, eardrum-bursting, high-current power, tube amplifiers -- particularly preamps -- are the only way to fly. There's a reason people still pay big money for -- and Marshall still makes -- those old tube heads.
It's called "headroom."

Gotta love me some Russian 12Ax7s!
Pyndn.gif

Yep, always the best move to buy the first model year of new technology. Good luck with that. The first year Polaris 900 RMK is the most glaring example of why you never, EVER buy the first year of a new model with new technology. What a POS that thing was.

Yep, always the best move to buy the first model year of new technology. Good luck with that. The first year Polaris 900 RMK is the most glaring example of why you never, EVER buy the first year of a new model with new technology. What a POS that thing was.

What year are you talking about? The 500i was released in Europe 2 to 3 years ago.

What year are you talking about? The 500i was released in Europe 2 to 3 years ago.

And they have been on the market long enough over here, that secondhand ex pro logging 500i's are showing up in the used saws for sale.
As I said previously, the 500i is a great saw for its range. If I were still commercial logging and the forests were still ruled by men with saws, not machines and I lived up in out Northern Island where the trees tend to be smaller, I would have a choice of 572, 462 or 500i and if I showed up with any other make, would likely be laughed off the skid site.
The only saw I would look at would be the 500i, it will blitz anything close in the CC range, beat anything in the 80-85cc range and compete with the 90cc saws quite happily. Only place I see it struggle a wee bit is against 95cc saws in big timber with big bars- but it was never designed to do that.
Do I own one- no. Have I used one, yes. I am no longer using a saw for sole income- if I was, I would have one in a heartbeat.

Yep. If you want clean, eardrum-bursting, high-current power, tube amplifiers -- particularly preamps -- are the only way to fly. There's a reason people still pay big money for -- and Marshall still makes -- those old tube heads.
It's called "headroom."

Gotta love me some Russian 12Ax7s!
Pyndn.gif
Yeah, I still got a bunch of telefunken 12ax7's. Still got several of GE 6550's,Mullard el-34's,etc, but probably too valuable to let burn away.Russian military made great cheap tubes for us, good capacitors too. I have more stereo tube amps than chain saws, lol.

Russian vacuum tubes are still used in some high-end audio equipment. Audio Research is one example. You can spend more than 30,000 for one of their amps. Their output is more linear and less out of phase than transistor amps. Yes, this is thread drift. Sorry about that.
I'll defend this post.If you use point to point wiring of your DIY tube amp with a good power supply, My belief is that you cant' surpass the lunatic fringe pricy Audio Research,Conrad Johnson,etc but you probably get 90% of the sound.Or just run the chain saw without hearing protection and it doesn't matter any more.

Latest posts

Back