You all need to recycle your carburetor based chainsaws and get the 500i

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recently bought a new 500i w/ 32” Stihl ES Light.050 3/8 skip tooth full chisel chain(I would have liked 28” but it was a deal.). I ran 5 tanks of fuel through it, had to push oiler pin in and open oiler to max to properly oil b/c. I have since been playing w/ it against some of my other saws. Running it against a 288xp OEM rebuild,set up w/ 32” bar and same chain, I found the 500i WILL NOT compete. The 288xp has way more torque; the 500i’s power band is at wide open, but did not cut any faster than the 288. For the same amount of cutting though, the 500i burned less than 1/2 the fuel the 288 did. The weight is night and day difference and the 500i’s AV really surprised me. I feel it’s a great saw, but I won’t ever get rid of the 288 for it. In my opinion, it fits in a faller’s saw catagory and performs like one.

i would like to try one..... for free ..... but wouldn't get rid of a 064 to do it , even if beat up , when did they quit making the 064, 1990's ish or so and it's beat up ?, well i hope so ......ill keep mine , till i cant start it anymore....
i agree with ya. 500i are great but, i couldn't trade 064 either for one. the older saw getting harder and harder to find.

I recently bought a new 500i w/ 32” Stihl ES Light.050 3/8 skip tooth full chisel chain(I would have liked 28” but it was a deal.). I ran 5 tanks of fuel through it, had to push oiler pin in and open oiler to max to properly oil b/c. I have since been playing w/ it against some of my other saws. Running it against a 288xp OEM rebuild,set up w/ 32” bar and same chain, I found the 500i WILL NOT compete. The 288xp has way more torque; the 500i’s power band is at wide open, but did not cut any faster than the 288. For the same amount of cutting though, the 500i burned less than 1/2 the fuel the 288 did. The weight is night and day difference and the 500i’s AV really surprised me. I feel it’s a great saw, but I won’t ever get rid of the 288 for it. In my opinion, it fits in a faller’s saw catagory and performs like one.
that 500i is a gas guzzler, but maybe it seems like that because it has a smaller tank?

There's no doubt they go great (as they should), but it's when they stop going (& there's no doubt they will) that you will likely find yourself questioning if the benefits outweigh the cost & practicality of maintaining them (especially if your local dealer isn't the greatest)

Which can be said of all saws; carbed, m-tronic, auto-tuned, fuel injected, etc. FWIW, there is nothing about the 500i that requires special maintenance.

Just bought an MS 400 cm. For what I do, it will suit me just fine. It's one of Stihls highest hp to weight ratio saws. 14000 rpm with 20" bar should make it a firewood slayer and at $800.00 out the door (I work part time at a John Deere dealership) saved me some money over the 500i.

I hear a lot of good about these saws but don't hear about the major problems like blew a top end or whatever major failures may have occurred, maybe a little feedback on that would be good from being used commercially, 500I that is- can't all be perfect - and yes I have tried one and was quite impressed

I'll agree with the OP.

I have carb saws and will keep several of them around, but they don't leave the shelf like the 261, 462, and now the 500i do. Most guys that feel like the new saws don't perform like the older saws try to use the new saws like the old ones. Dog them in and lean on them hard bringing the RPM's down. Old saws liked that, they made their power down low. New saws do not. They make their power up high in the RPM range where chain speed is high. Let her sing high in the RPMs and have a chain that cuts. It's a lot easier on the body after a full day of cutting. The 500i I can cut all day and feel pretty good. The old 661 I cut all day and I'm wiped. Even though they probably cut the same 'speed'.

Which can be said of all saws; carbed, m-tronic, auto-tuned, fuel injected, etc. FWIW, there is nothing about the 500i that requires special maintenance.
For maintenance I would agree. To be serviced if one won't run it's going to be an expensive day out at the dealership. Now if it came with a USB interface, readily available diagnostic software & free firmware updates that would be a whole different story!
I'd love to know what some of the key components (injector, O² sensor, fuel pressure pump, etc) are worth & what parts can be replaced without having the dealer specific tools... Maybe some of the Stihl guys can chime in

For maintenance I would agree. To be serviced if one won't run it's going to be an expensive day out at the dealership. Now if it came with a USB interface, readily available diagnostic software & free firmware updates that would be a whole different story!
I'd love to know what some of the key components (injector, O² sensor, fuel pressure pump, etc) are worth & what parts can be replaced without having the dealer specific tools... Maybe some of the Stihl guys can chime in

I'm old enough to remember TV with vacuum tubes, or automobiles with points and condensers. Those went the way of the dodo bird despite all the complaints and horror stories of "what if". Guess what happened,,,,? Same will be with the M-Tronic and the new Fuel Injected chainsaws.

Hell don't believe me, after all what do I know. Hang on to the older saws, or better yet, buy all that remain, hoard them, store them, and then you can say "I told you so" at some point down the road.

The 500i has its place and it is definitely better than other mid sized saws, power to weight, throttle response, ease of starting but not at the price difference. But it is not in the same league as a 661. I’m hoping they make every size fuel injected and have the same light weight but it’s not the only saw out there that matters, can’t put a 36 inch bar on one and expect it to pull it like the bigger saws.

Thanks, mine all go on the splitter, I don't care how big they are.

I'm old enough to remember TV with vacuum tubes, or automobiles with points and condensers. Those went the way of the dodo bird despite all the complaints and horror stories of "what if". Guess what happened,,,,? Same will be with the M-Tronic and the new Fuel Injected chainsaws.

Hell don't believe me, after all what do I know. Hang on to the older saws, or better yet, buy all that remain, hoard them, store them, and then you can say "I told you so" at some point down the road.
I still have automobiles with points and condensers, vacuum tubes not so much but a pair of 49sp's are still by backup in the woods. The two 49's, tractor, and the splitter (Wisconsin S8D), all have points and a condenser. I am old school but send me a 500i, love to try one. I DO NOT RETURN TRIAL ITEMS.

Attachments

• DSC05946.JPG
    7.8 MB · Views: 43
I'm happy with my old ones, they run fine do all I asked of them and I have the pleasure of turning them. I am too old to pay out 2k+ on a saw that only a dealer can look at and charge you what they like for. Saws will go down the same road as john deer... only a dealer can work on them. No thanks you can keep your fancy gimmicks, my saws have stood the test of time. Still plenty around and plenty of spares too. Plus I am too old to change.

Probably a great saw. I wonder if the oil hose that goes from the tank to the oil pump takes a chitt every year or 18 months like it does on my MS211? Hell, my 44 year old XL12 leaks far less oil and starts on the third pull or less, hot or cold. No electrics made in some fourth world country to fry with no notice.

It seems the best policy would be to keep all the other stihls, and just get a 500i. You can't take the money with you, but the grand kids will still have the 500I, the 026's, the 036's , the 038's, and the 064 to remember YOU by. Plus you would have all the smiles, instead of the dred of thinning your collection to a fraction of what it used to be.

That's east to say, though. I have every gun I've ever bought, most of the saws I've ever bought, and many of the vehicles.

I will want a free demo for the day, not a dealer store parking lot 2 x 4 cut into blocks. Until than, I am not qualified to have an opinion. Any of you guys, who never used the electric sawdust creator, own Bolivian lithium futures?

Latest posts

Back