You Know you are a Hack when...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
your groundsmand has no PPE and is pulling the top 25 feet of the tree right at himself with his back to a busy road( luckaly it gets hung up in another tree and rolls haphazerdly to the side. you then continue to drop another 14 foot limb right on the house which bounces off without damage and you shout down " It dosent get any better then that" they then proceed to pile all the debri in the front yard of the lady and left. I watched this all happen from 100 feet up of a tree next door. She didnt like my Quote.:dizzy:

I throw a little 100 proof vodka on them and set'em on fire ! :cheers:

why waste that man! Bit o' mix.....................nah, cruel.

Just one more hacker tale, "...hey I been cuttin' fer years..." I end up with the saw a week later (bout a year ago now) from the great ladies who run the charity I help with (read MS270 does its duty thread), teeth have more different angles on them than a love letter written in Chinese, bar is burnt like the virgin mary cheese toast, took a wooden spatula to clean most of saw, filter looked like a piece of OSB (due to the fantastic sharpening job), one of the 'helpers' poured mix into the oil tank, poured out the gas to find several ounces of water in the bottom......... GAH! At this point the folks who'd hired him wanted to pack in the wood business, too much bs., I bought the saw (could say near stole but I've paid my dues 10x) cleaned it up, they put me to work on my own time as I can, been running it ever since and gettin' the jobs done and keepin' folks warm. Most recent of many tales of woe, hacks to me are people who just don't give a rat's butt about anything or anyone, take the money and run, carp all over everyone as they run down the road to their next disaster, I can live without 'em.

:cheers:

Serge

Aw man, I digressed and went totally OT, I am a hack when I blow out my muffler's pipes, scrounge my fav mechanic's scrap pile for a piece of pipe, take it home, cut slots in it to crimp ta old pipe-ends, use 4 coat hangers, zap-straps, 3 tin cans, and a 3$ package of 'shrinkfix' so I'm not a gas chamber on wheels. I am a hack when I'm beat and yank out the deathly 'hidden package' of KD and kill it with hotdogs surprize for dinner, or piece together 5 extension cords to run my studio's stereo when I have 100ft of line hangin' in the garage. I am a hack soon as I roll outta bed in da morning and grab yesterday's news paper and use the whole darned thing to get my fire going 'cause its cold out on the porch where the kindling is and I'm too bloody lazy to move more'n 12ft. Um, there's more, but, bein' a hack means I'm too lazy ta pick my own brain, let alone my nose :D

:jester: :jester:

Last edited:
you know your a hack when third world countries are doing your labor!!!

I wrote this in another thread...but it pertains....

Yeah, I thought he was full of crap. We got into that conversation because I went to tune my sister-in-laws polin (just keep pull'in, hehe) wild thing saw and the adj screws were splined. So I asked him if there was a special tool for it. He said, they were just caps and to pry them off....then went into the EPA speal. I went home, looked at the saw again and they were not caps like he said they were splined screws like I thought. I know you're going to think I'm an animal but I gingerly used my wiz/wheel to cut a slot in the heads of those splined screws so I could get a screw stick on em'. Hey, sometimes you got to do what you got to do.... Once I tweeked the carb it ran much better but man is that a poorly engineered/cheaply made saw.

You may be a hack if -
* Shirts are optional ( and half your crew is female relatives )
* If your used motor oil is your new bar oil
* If you collect insurance instead of paying it
* And if your payroll consists of beer you may be a hack :givebeer:

you know your a hack when the boss says we got one prune and all the wood goes:hmm3grin2orange:

something like this perhaps

attachment.php
you know your a hack when the boss says we got one prune and all the wood goes:hmm3grin2orange:

Spotted this a couple weeks ago...

Last edited:
moving bar back and forth

Hi you all, I agree doing that on something routine =hack.

But on nasty wildland bucking jobs where the cuts have to be made RIGHT at the edge of the trail corridor and there is a break at that point due to falling on a rock or stump or whatever...

Some kind of movement of the bar is useful to find out when its about to bind. You cant always predict the place where tension changes to compression. Nice and easy like a log with no breaks on flat ground in someone's yard. But not on narrow Fireroads on steep crossslopes!

This is especailly true on logs over say 2 or 3 feet in diameter an slopes over 30 or 40 degrees. if the downhill end is pinned, all kinds of wierd stresses can be in the log.

Not common though, I agree that usually moving bar like a handsaw is dumb.

So is not using the dogs, or failing to locate the corners of the notch carefully.

But especially, NOT CLEANING THE FACE OR MAKING SURE THE CORNERS ARE GOOD.

Not looking up before and often is a bad one too!!

Dave, "Oh god another 20 down on Azalea Glen Fire Road!@#$$#@@"

Jamul CA.

"sawing" the saw

But on nasty wildland bucking jobs where the cuts have to be made RIGHT at the edge of the trail corridor and there is a break at that point due to falling on a rock or stump or whatever...

Some kind of movement of the bar is useful to find out when its about to bind. You cant always predict the place where tension changes to compression. Nice and easy like a log with no breaks on flat ground in someone's yard. But not on narrow Fireroads on steep crossslopes!

I move the saw back and forth with bind or fishing for the bark on the ground side of a log. Usually guys that "saw" the chain saw are new to chains saws in general [and its dull]. We used to play a trick on new guys by putting the chain on backwards and letting them buck. Pretty quick they would be sawing it back and forth. Amazing that almost everyone would keep right on the throttle far past when it should have been obvious that it was not working like it does in the movies!

This is especailly true on logs over say 2 or 3 feet in diameter an slopes over 30 or 40 degrees. if the downhill end is pinned, all kinds of wierd stresses can be in the log.

Not common though, I agree that usually moving bar like a handsaw is dumb.

So is not using the dogs, or failing to locate the corners of the notch carefully.

But especially, NOT CLEANING THE FACE OR MAKING SURE THE CORNERS ARE GOOD.

Not looking up before and often is a bad one too!!

Dave, "Oh god another 20 down on Azalea Glen Fire Road!@#$$#@@"

Jamul CA.

Haha...thats funny. I do know the area.

-You know your a hack when your entire crew comes from the local Home Depot parking lot.
-You use alluminum ladders in the tree...instead of walking on the limbs
-You use 1/4in. nylon stringer to tie in or lower limbs
-and my personal favorite..you tell the ho,"You might not want to be in the house while we remove this tree."

I have actually seen this stuff done down in Gainesville and Denton, Texas. I have also seen demolished houses because of these practices.:buttkick:

Back