You Know you are a Hack when...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One time near the landfill i saw a car pulling a boat filled with brush... laughed all day on that one.

Those are homeowner things, I seen a Mercedes & Volvols filled with brush.

There is a pic here with Miata filled with green split firewood, was that one of Jim's pics?

Those are homeowner things, I seen a Mercedes & Volvols filled with brush.

There is a pic here with Miata filled with green split firewood, was that one of Jim's pics?

One year when my Scout troop was chipping christmas trees, this guy pulled up in a Smart Car and pulled a 6' tree out of the passenger seat. We also had a guy bring one in sticking out of his sun roof.

First post for me!

You know you are a hack when.

1. You have to spend a week finishing off all the jobs from the previous week.

2. When you put gas in the bar oil and wonder why the saw is smoking so much.

3. when you go to the home owner and ask if they have spare gas, mix, bar oil and, oh yeah a Saw!

4. When the home owner corrects you when you "try" to identify the tree species.

5. when at any given day your crew is a 50/50 no show.

I have seen all of the above first hand.

you know your a hack when you keep fence rails in your polesaw bin:hmm3grin2orange:

I usually keep all the fence crap back at the lot, I sure wished I would have brought the tub of asphalt patch today though. Just a little hole, we were rushing to drop the trunk and clean it up so the guy could park there tomorrow. Pulled a pin oak over with an open faced. If I would have left a little more hinge wood it would never have broke off the stump as we ratcheted it almost all the way down.
No worries.The gutter guards are still on the house. I saw the crane outriggers open up a driveway one time. Not set up to lift, I don't know what they were doing over there. A few men could fit in it, they asked me if I still had my tub of black goo and my spatula.
I also bring topsoil sometimes.

You know your a wanabe when you spend all your time on an internet forum talking about how much of a hack you are not instead of going to bed early because your muscles and bones are tired from the work you did today and the day before and the day before that. Your all a bunch of wannabes. Man up you poseurs.

bigginko-1.jpg

Last edited:
why waste that man! Bit o' mix.....................nah, cruel.

Just one more hacker tale, "...hey I been cuttin' fer years..." I end up with the saw a week later (bout a year ago now) from the great ladies who run the charity I help with (read MS270 does its duty thread), teeth have more different angles on them than a love letter written in Chinese, bar is burnt like the virgin mary cheese toast, took a wooden spatula to clean most of saw, filter looked like a piece of OSB (due to the fantastic sharpening job), one of the 'helpers' poured mix into the oil tank, poured out the gas to find several ounces of water in the bottom......... GAH! At this point the folks who'd hired him wanted to pack in the wood business, too much bs., I bought the saw (could say near stole but I've paid my dues 10x) cleaned it up, they put me to work on my own time as I can, been running it ever since and gettin' the jobs done and keepin' folks warm. Most recent of many tales of woe, hacks to me are people who just don't give a rat's butt about anything or anyone, take the money and run, carp all over everyone as they run down the road to their next disaster, I can live without 'em.

:cheers:

Serge

Aw man, I digressed and went totally OT, I am a hack when I blow out my muffler's pipes, scrounge my fav mechanic's scrap pile for a piece of pipe, take it home, cut slots in it to crimp ta old pipe-ends, use 4 coat hangers, zap-straps, 3 tin cans, and a 3$ package of 'shrinkfix' so I'm not a gas chamber on wheels. I am a hack when I'm beat and yank out the deathly 'hidden package' of KD and kill it with hotdogs surprize for dinner, or piece together 5 extension cords to run my studio's stereo when I have 100ft of line hangin' in the garage. I am a hack soon as I roll outta bed in da morning and grab yesterday's news paper and use the whole darned thing to get my fire going 'cause its cold out on the porch where the kindling is and I'm too bloody lazy to move more'n 12ft. Um, there's more, but, bein' a hack means I'm too lazy ta pick my own brain, let alone my nose :D

:jester: :jester:

:ices_rofl:

bad tree work

im glad they went down and i hope all of the companies that are out there doing bad work all get sued and go under. i cant stand poor pruning and it should be outlawed completely in residential tree care. america needs to protect and care for the few trees we have left. we are talking about our trees people!!!

Hard Con ?

The fact that they got arrested is unbelieveable. I have to read it a few more times, thing is don't believe half of what hear and none of what you read. Or is the other way around?
For 35 Grand what did they spray on the lawn? Who paints driveways? A lady lives that long to be duped by that guy?

Man that looks like low bidder work, that poor old lady. Nice to see that scumbag is gettin his. Now just for laughs go back and look at that picture of her next to that beutiful cut and imagine her thinking what a good deal she got from the low bidder- I dont know, just makes me laugh. It seems to sum up how generally clueless most homeowners are. Good thing most of the real hacks here just cut trees down, most seem to get through that ok. It would be even more annoying if they were getting paid to destroy nice trees. Its real competitive here so they are scared of gettin turned in for not having license- wich they probably would - eventually.

Man that looks like low bidder work, that poor old lady. Nice to see that scumbag is gettin his. Now just for laughs go back and look at that picture of her next to that beutiful cut and imagine her thinking what a good deal she got from the low bidder- I dont know, just makes me laugh. It seems to sum up how generally clueless most homeowners are. Good thing most of the real hacks here just cut trees down, most seem to get through that ok. It would be even more annoying if they were getting paid to destroy nice trees. Its real competitive here so they are scared of gettin turned in for not having license- wich they probably would - eventually.

That's scammer work not low bidder. Many low bid operators are legitimate tree experts.

Aw man!

I wonder if he'll do time, I hope so.
I hope so too! Many preditors out there hurtin' people like this, really, really pisses me off, if I was nearby I go and help her get a few things fixed gratis.
:chainsaw: grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr *mf's legs first* grrrrrrrrrrrrrr :chainsaw:
And the painted driveway? I can think of a much better place for that paint, and a great use for old feather pillows. Bring back the pillory (sp) I says! shackle these stupid people in the town center and supply compost ta heave at 'em...................... nah, too nice, sry. :(

Serge

That's scammer work not low bidder. Many low bid operators are legitimate tree experts.
True, I worked for too long for too cheap, and honestly still did good work, but I had low overhead so I could sort of justify it. Now I got more overhead (bucket and ins on it) and it seems like with the market and all the new guys that gotta survive as well that I may still have to do it- at least when its just yellow page calls. I really dont want to and am seriously debating it, but I didnt come this far to sit home because all the hacks are out underbiddin- either on purpose or because they dont know any better.
Maybe its just winter (I'll hope) but when you've been givin bids in the same area for 12 years ya kind of know what its supposed to be right ? Maybe this is why I dont like winter work and usually just try and save up. Honestly, what do you think all these new guys are gonna do when the payments on all that new equipment start to strangle them ? Work too cheap right ! The same thing I'm debating right ! Bad cycle, bad for treework. Sorry, just venting and slow.

Back