you might find better, but you'llnever pay more

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it probably would cost $70 to ship that thing via mailboxes etc or someplace like that.

I made that mistake once on a set of Hubs, my local UPS shipping store went out of business and I went to Mailboxes Etc, I lost my ass on that deal, I had to pay like $25 for what UPS charged like $10 or so.

Ya I just bought 2 24" bars on ebay. Well the guy never listed a shipping price just that itr would be figured at the end. Wow!!!!!!!
Got the 2 bars fro 20, but he socked me 15.95 to ship the things. They will come ups. I have sold on ebay and shipped ups I roughly figureing it will cost 5 to 6 for shipping the rest is handleing.

Some guys really know how to get ya.
Bob

Steep fee , but

at least the seller mentioned it several times. I emailed a seller on eBeware over $35.00 shipping on a powerhead only (I don't remember the make & model, but it wasn't a monster saw). He sent a return email, admitting that he padded the shipping fee because he thought that the saw would sell for less than its real value. I once used Buy It Now on a real deal, the kind where you know that someone else is going jump on it. It didn't list a shipping fee, but I didn't want to risk waiting to contact the seller. Luckily the fee was in line with the size & weight.

A few minutes ago someone on eBeware puchased what appears to be (maybe) a Stihl 066 (some damage, but nearly complete) saw with 32" bar & chain for $48.00. I don't believe the seller listed the shipping fee. Maybe a good buy.

Thanks, Chris Jones

I always figure shipping into the maximum amount I'm willing to bid. Even if they say shipping will be figured at the end of the auction, I email for an estimate. If I don't know what the shipping is, I don't bid.

High shipping

As a normal rule,anything coming to this part of Ohio,from the west coast,or Florida,is around a $1,per pound.My big saws[sp-125 and Homie 2100s],were about $28.from Oregon,or Washington.I once had a rascal try and get $45. for shipping a Mac 610,from Pa.I protested and he reduced it to $35.,which is still twice the rate. Anymore,I ask the shipping price,unless I know the seller.As a general rule,most sellers are honest,but there are a few "rotten apples"

I e-mailed this guy and flat out called him a crook. I have called 'justdavid' a crook on more than one occasion as well. I have asked 'justdavid' who makes his special profesional chain that he likes to sell for 80 cents a drive link, he has yet to tell me.

Right on Sedanman. I too have emailed many a seller and flatly stated that I am interested in the item, BUT I will only bid if I will pay actual shipping plus a little more if the item requires serious packaging. I have yet to get a positive response. Usually, if I get an answer, it is "If you don't want to pay the shipping, don't bid" Like I am trying to get one over on them. I'll gladly pay the shipping, just not THEIR shipping. I am amazed at what folks will pay for shipping. On a lot of items, by the time you pay shipping, you can buy local, pay the tax, and come out ahead. I bought a S-D 119 on ebay, had it shipped from Oregon to Ohio, $16. That is a seller I will do business with again. I am a big fan of the shipping calculator.

Good points, Django. The shipping calculator is very helpful, &
a little extra on the s&h for packing, effort, etc. is okay as long as it's not excessive. Some sellers are actually upfront about it.

Justdavid99 is still around. I recently emailed him about his asking $550.00 for a Husky 51. Strange that I didn't get a reply. Oh, yeah-he didn't get a single bid.

Later, Chris Jones

Check out this other saw he has for sale. It's an 031 AV. Same $85 starting bid, but he's only charging $50 for shipping! Here is a quote from the listing:

"it is in good condition but last time I used it it would not run right"

Someone snap this gem up before it's gone! :D

Here is the email I sent him.

I see you quote $70 for shipping. What type of shipping is this ? I have sent saws all over the US, Canada, and over the ocean. In all those shipments I have never had a saw cost $70 to ship. The most was an overnight shipment to CA that was still less than $70. Please tell me where this $70 comes from before I bid.

Thanks, Bill

We will see how he/she responds

I recently purchased an 026 off ebay(with case). The saw cleaned up real nice and is mint.... no hours on it at all.

The shipping charges were a little high but didn't seem too bad He most likely charged what he thought the going rate was - $25. He even admitted being 'new' to this sort of thing.

I had to go the post office to pick it up. He simply stuck postage on the orange plastic case and bid her farewell. No packing. Didn't even empty gas or oil! I'm probably lucky to have gotten it at all.

oh... $12.97 for postage. There would have been no other expense. My guess is I was paying for the long drive to the post office, with the high gas prices and all.

You were very lucky to get that package. I e-mailed a guy one time on high shipping costs and told him I didn't mind paying for the packaging materials but I wasn't going to pay his hourly rate to box the thing up. I think he wanted me to make one of his car payments too!

Went for $85... just $15 more than the shipping!

Darn, I bought a 394 last year and only got bagged $25 to ship it- 3 foot bar and all!

That guy's on CrAcK.

I like to start my auctions for 99 cents and charge high shipping/handling. I state it right in the ad so there are no surprises. Why? Because Ebay charges for listing the item based on starting price and another fee for final selling price. No fees are deducted for S/H. If the buyer uses Paypal that is another fee I have to pay. Don't feel sorry for Ebay (they own Paypal). They are one of the biggest companys and don't pay stockholders any dividend, as of yet. Ebay claims to have 5 million items listed per week. If they only collect 30 cents (the minimum for listing) per item that computes to 1.5 million per week! Not a bad gross for one large building full of computers and a few employees. BTW Paypal has agree to a settlement in a class action suit. They admit no wrong doing of course, but are paying a lot of claims. Mike

If someone doesn't like eBay's policies then why use them at all? It's easy to advertise in your local paper for cheaper. On eBay, you're paying for a nationwide market. By the way, I'm not affiliated with them at all, but it's illogical to complain about the use of a service that someone provides when that use is entirely voluntary.

Shipped in Carrying Case

I bought a mint 038 Magnum II, and it got shipped in the carring case only. Gas tank was cracked by UPS for no extra charge. I guess you were lucky! Mike.

Back