Your city must be better than mine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vwboomer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So I was on the way to the store today and I see a city crew cutting down a tree. Worth a shot right? I stop and ask if they are lookin to get rid of it. "Nope, we gotta haul it away" ok, so where do you haul it? "Goes to a landfill." Really? So I'd take it for free, but the city won't let me just so they can dump it in a landfill and pay for it?

Liability is way out of whack these days. Sure it was some probably crappy wood but who cares. :buttkick:

So I was on the way to the store today and I see a city crew cutting down a tree. Worth a shot right? I stop and ask if they are lookin to get rid of it. "Nope, we gotta haul it away" ok, so where do you haul it? "Goes to a landfill." Really? So I'd take it for free, but the city won't let me just so they can dump it in a landfill and pay for it?

Liability is way out of whack these days. Sure it was some probably crappy wood but who cares. :buttkick:

Go find the land fill and ask them? The city I work in has a yard they dump wood and then chip it all a few times a year.

Such is the ways of the world today. Clearing crews in our county will buck them up in 24" lengths, and leave it stacked in the ditch, and chip the brush. Someone always comes along and picks it up. Easy for them, good for the people. But in town, they also haul it off to a landfill, or the crews take it home. Liability reasons I guess, but I don't understand why the county differs from the city.

in my town, you don't get squat from them.

however, one of the town crew guys gets it all, cuts and splits it, then sells it.

nice racket.

Go find the land fill and ask them? The city I work in has a yard they dump wood and then chip it all a few times a year.

The last time I went to the landfill in my city there were several people there cutting up and loading wood. Can't hurt to give them a call. The phone number is probably on the city website.

What were they cutting it down for? It wasn't an Ash was it, it might have been in quarintine for the EAB or other type of disease. Their kinda funny about that around here, they have quarintine sites for diseased trees that were cut????

I bet they are waiting for someone to slip them ten bucks for the wood!

In the little town I was born and raised in I wanted the leaves the street vacuum picked up to work in our garden soil. I wanted about thirty truck loads for a one acre garden my father and I were gardening right in town. The city was trucking the leaves five miles out of town to dump them and I was told by one of the workers to slip them ten dollars per load if I wanted leaves dumped.

I discussed it with the mayor, got my leaves for free and saved the city the expense of thirty ten mile round trips to dump.

There is all kinds of petty cash flowing behind the scenes in small town America!

Or better yet you could offer the crew some cold drinks, or coffee if it is a cold day. That seems more like bartering and less sneaky.

In my town they take the trees to the transfer station (since we don't have an actual dump) where you might think it would be free for the taking........... but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, one of the town's employees takes it all home. WTF ??!!!! :cry::cry:

Live in Madison, do you? Me too... crazy stuff here.

Live in Madison, do you? Me too... crazy stuff here.
I'm in Sheboygan actually.

I dont' know what kind of wood it was - other than firewood. The guy said when it dries it would burn like balsa wood. Couldn't get too close as the guy was dropping from above, but it seemed to be kind of shaggy bark, white wood and darker middle.

The landfill is actually in the next county or thereabouts. Guy said it's in Kiel, so it could be anywhere out there.

For those that have town workers that take all the wood, isn't that something like stealing? Especially if they resell it. I would think the municipality would have to make it available to everyone before the employees. After all, they are using taxpayer money to make money.

So I can't get it from the city, and all the tree services sell it as firewood. Guess I'm back to being screwed for free wood.

In our small town they take all the trees the cut to a small couple acre lot and then pile them and burn. But if a person gets there they can take all the wood they want. I have gone down there and cut and split wood right there and the city has no issues with it.

Last week I saw the city guys cutting a large ash tree down and they brought over a bucket load of and dumped it right in my driveway.

I've delivered, and given away better wood than our municipality lays in piles for the destitute to work off of.

I've delivered, and given away better wood than our municipality lays in piles for the destitute to work off of.

Well if you wanna give some away just let me know :)

I've got feelers out all over. It'll turn up sooner or later!

Its the same around here. If you stop and ask the workers taking down the tree, even their boss man, the answer is always "No".
I learned over time where they take it to, and stopped by to take a look.Piles upon piles alongside a deep pit that they burn in.
I asked the guy if i could cut there, he said that due to liability reasons, they didnt allow any cutting. A long conversation about things going to waste eventually steered around to, "Boy, if a guy would show up with a cold six pack of millers best once in awhile, I would go take a loooonnnggg break in the shade.with my earplugs in."
got the hint, and showed up the next day with some cold ones in a cooler.Took me about an hour to load up the trailer and drive off.The burn guy was nowhere to be found.
Anytime I get, I head back there to find several piles shoved to the side of all the good oak. The only sucky part is he quits and locks the gates at 4pm, so i dont get over there to often.

The town that I work in will let you pick it up if you ask, but the only thing that is ever left lay is silver maple and Chinese elm ,the crews get the good stuff. (which I can understand) But I finally quit messing with it, the maple is ok in a pinch if it's easy to get to, but I'd rather burn cardboard than Chinese elm.

Our city comes around here esp after a storm with a straight truck or a semi and dump and a loader and picks up trees, limbs the whole nine yards and it does get hauled 25 miles each way to the dump. They wont let you get any of it.

If a tree is cut along the road the nearest homeowner has dibs on the tree first. If they don't want it, than anyone else can take it. The trees are usually bucked to about 20 inches.
My current scenario is a good one: My next door neighbor had the village remove a 25 inch sugar maple in her front yard. I saw that the tree was tagged and asked her about it. She copped an attitude about how I wouldn't get any of her wood and that the village would split it for her, that she didn't need any help etc. I explain reality to her, and truth be told they burn about 1/2cord a year and really don't have room for all that wood. I told my wife that I will be more than willing to help them as soon as they come to me admitting that they don't have the tools or skills to move some of the big rounds(100+lbs each) and that they need my help. I am counting the days until it happens as all that wood is killing their precious turf and I am sure she doesn't like how all that wood "looks: in her front yard.

I work for a municipality (mechanic). The guys who cut trees used to give away the wood if someone stopped and asked until we got a new crane truck. The select trunks get laid next to my truck.:chainsaw: The rest they bring it to the landfill in large pieces. Residents and contractors dump at the landfill too. A few times a year they run they run the pile through the tub grinder, lots of nice wood is turned into chips.:cry:
They will not leave wood laying on the side of the road, because if no one takes it they will have to go back and pick it up.
No chainsawing is allowed by civilians at the landfill.
For the last four months I've been bringing home 2-4 loads of wood a week on my S-10 pick up. I figure every load is equal to about weeks worth of wood. I have a scattered pile of rounds 30' long + 12' wide + 4' high, and it grows almost daily. I lost count of how many loads I brought home.
The drinking on the job and taking money from residents era has long been over in the town where I work at. Go back 10 years or so and cold beer or a few bucks would got you a load of wood (or anything else you wanted) dumped at your house. Those were the days............454

i called about some nice Oak logs.

they wre cut down by the town clowns.asked if i could have the wood.they told me i had to have workman's comp and liability.amazing.

Back