Your city must be better than mine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like you're saying it's ok for anyone to pick up that wood except the city worker. You'd rather have your taxes pay for the diesel in the truck, the salary of the person taking it to the dump, and the dump fee rather than just let them have it.

Ian

I'm not sure what you don't get, but that's fine. If the city workers can take it, anyone else in the city should be able to as well.

So I was on the way to the store today and I see a city crew cutting down a tree. Worth a shot right? I stop and ask if they are lookin to get rid of it. "Nope, we gotta haul it away" ok, so where do you haul it? "Goes to a landfill." Really? So I'd take it for free, but the city won't let me just so they can dump it in a landfill and pay for it?

Liability is way out of whack these days. Sure it was some probably crappy wood but who cares. :buttkick:

I offered a arborist that complained to me at work, $100 per truck load (@3 cord per his trucks) to dump them at my house. He has yet to do it:dizzy: I also deal with the city and they brought it to my attention about tree disposal, told them I would take everything!! Limbs, leaves and all. i was told due to liability we have to take them to a dump!??!! I am working on the city hard time:cheers:

Damn sue happy people:cry:

I'm the City Arborist for a city in PA. It's my rule that if you want the wood, you can go to our woodshed yard and take what you want. City employees can take wood, but it's off the clock and they don't get a chance to stash anything.

Also, if I take a tree down in one of our parks, the first one to ask, gets the wood. If I'm not approached, I have a list of people that want wood. The only wood I'll set aside for tub grinding is the crap.

Now they're really testing me. cutting 3 houses down! and 4 houses down from that!:censored: Drives me nuts . Dunno what kind of trees they are either, but who cares if it's free eh.

Called the DPW and was told that the cut up trees goes to various parks around the city that people can use for fires in the fireplaces there. Well, I guess that's not so bad, but I've never seen it there.

I went for a ride before work and decided what's the worst that can happen. So I stopped and asked one guy and asked if they wanna dump the bucket (payloader) in my driveway half a block down. He said he didn't care but I had to talk to the guy bucking it up in the street. I wait for him to get done and he says he wouldnt' care, but if the landowner doesn't give permission they have to take it to the park. Apparently when landowners are notified that it's going to be cut they make the decision so it's too late for that.

I think I'm kinda OCD about the whole wood thing, it's been grating on me all morning :chainsaw:

Back