Your favorite climbing/bucket saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metals406

Granfodder Runningsaw
Reaction score
Hey fellas. I'm doing a little research on climbing, and buckets saws. What you prefer using, or would use if you went out and bought one tomorrow. Things like make/model, cc's, top-handle (or not), bar size, etcetera.

A local crew working in my area seem to like the Stihl MS 200t, or the MS 192t. They both range in size of 8-9 pounds, 30-35cc, and they run a 16" bar w/ a low profile chain.

I'd really like to hear from those of you that have any of the Dolmar line.

Thanks guyz!!

:)

For climbing i love my 192T. It's super light, ok power, and cheap. So if you drop it, your out $300 instead of $600 for a 200t. The 200T is better in every department, and if your going to be using the saw every day (witch i don't) i'd get the 200T. The 200T is the standard by witch all other climbing saws are compared too, and there's a reason for that. As for Dolmar, the only Dolmar i've had in the air is the 5100.

For climbing i love my 192T. It's super light, ok power, and cheap. So if you drop it, your out $300 instead of $600 for a 200t. The 200T is better in every department, and if your going to be using the saw every day (witch i don't) i'd get the 200T. The 200T is the standard by witch all other climbing saws are compared too, and there's a reason for that. As for Dolmar, the only Dolmar i've had in the air is the 5100.

Thanks TDunk. You answered one of my biggest questions. . . . "Will guyz use the 5100 in a tree or bucket?" The PS-3410 TH TLC [tool-less chain tension], retails for around $380.00. It's 2.1 cu. in., and around 34cc. It's a top handle saw, and very comparable to the Stihl 200t (I would think).

So you aren't "married" to using a top-handle saw? The 5100 is a few pounds heavier than the 200t. Is the few extra pounds not an issue for you?

I assume the 5100 was only used for the bigger chunks, especially if he had a top-handled Stihl at his disposal. I run a 14 inch bar on both my MS200T's and wouldn't even think about any other saw in the tree...until, of course, the big wood hits. I run the 14's as opposed to the 16' bars because the 200, IMO, doesn't have quite the nutz for that size wood. If you need a 16 inch bar, you need a bigger saw.

A friend showed me the echo climbing saws like 5yrs ago. I liked em so well i bought a cs330 and a 360. Worked em bout every day so far and no problems yet. For like 249 each you cant beat em. And if you do beat em up your not out much!PS> Take out the screens in the exhaust and they really torque up.:lifter:

Yeah, the only reason i take the 5100 up is for larger stuff. The 192T is ok until you start getting into 8"-10" wood, after that it's time for something bigger. The 5100 definetly weights more, but when trying to buck larger chunks, i would be fighting with the 192 to do the same work the 5100 would do with ease/less effort.

This is good stuff! Keep it going.

The local crew run 200t's and 361's. . . . But they don't use any other saw (They bust out the 440 once in a while I guess), so would they be open to the 5100?

Would the 5100, with a 18" bar impress them in the bucket?

I first heard about Dolmar 6 mos ago at Boonesville's big show in upstate. I ran the 7900 against a 385xp Husky and was impressed. Not enough to buy though. Lack of knowledge on the product and lack of a local dealer. I mentioned the brand to my boss who huffed and said, "You mean, Dolmar-Sucks?" Granted, he's old school and stuck in his ways but I'm still a bit sketched about Dolmars...unfamiliar territory, I suppose. I know my Stihls won't fail on the job and afraid to risk having a saw, regardless of price and warranty, that might. I'll gladly spend a few hundred more per saw for that comfort. But yeah, anyone out there able to convince me to buy Dolmar?

I have the 200t and the dolmar 3410t, I like the handle design of the dolmar better, it has a better angle than the box of the 200t. It does not have the power of the 200t but it is close enough to be a very good choice for a climbing saw. The rear handle 200 makes a very nice bucket saw. There is a rear handle version of the 3410 but not available in the USA.

Yeah, the only reason i take the 5100 up is for larger stuff. The 192T is ok until you start getting into 8"-10" wood, after that it's time for something bigger. The 5100 definetly weights more, but when trying to buck larger chunks, i would be fighting with the 192 to do the same work the 5100 would do with ease/less effort.

thats why i run a 200t with a 14 ,,,,
up to 18 inch wood,,,.. if i can't cut it with that,, i go to something with a 24,,,,

Last edited:
MS200T, Husqvarna 350

I fianlly got the chance to put the new MS200t to work on some 80ft oaks, used as a bucket saw for topping. Very pleased with this saw, as I do my share of one-handing. Then out came the 372XP for the big stuff. My other bucket guy prefers the 350 Husky, and swears by it as a climbing saw, too. And the price is right. I offered him a chance to use the 200t but he declined. He swears by the 350. That's ok, I'm getting quite attached to it. That was a one-time offer. The 200t is mine.

I love the husqy 346xp. Its a tight little saw with a lot of power, it can blast the top out of a tree, come down and fell a 14 DBH tree like butter. I love it. Almost as much as my husqy 575xp.

I have the 200t and the dolmar 3410t, I like the handle design of the dolmar better, it has a better angle than the box of the 200t. It does not have the power of the 200t but it is close enough to be a very good choice for a climbing saw. The rear handle 200 makes a very nice bucket saw. There is a rear handle version of the 3410 but not available in the USA.

Okay, so if you want a rear handle in a Dolmar, there's the PS 401. It weighs the same as the Stihl 200t, and has more cc's.

Anyone try the PS 401 yet?

I have the 401 also, nice ground saw for small stuff. Never used it in a tree, kind of a bulky powerhead design in my opinion. Better suited for small ground tasks. I used it a lot until I got the 5100s now the 401 sits along with a bunch of others.

I don't know which is best. Different guys that work and have worked here like a wide array of climbing saws. I know what I think is worst though. About three years ago a guy talked me into buying two little top handle efco saws. Efco now not echo. Supposed to be comparable to dolmar. Well what they compare to is a dull handsaw. Pure junk.

Would the 5100, with a 18" bar impress them in the bucket?

very much.

i havent run one but i had the little ps540. with an 18in bar ,and from what ive heard on this site, i'd gladly run the 5100 out of the bucket or while climbing off the ball for some crane picks.

gladly.

Latest posts

Back