Your favorite climbing/bucket saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've only used 3 different top handle saws, the Stihl 020, 200T and Husky 335XPT. At work all we run is 200Ts, we have a rack of 12 of them. The 335 is my personal weekend saw, and as you probably know is not in the same class as the rest of them, however I did get it for $120 ;)

In the bucket my company always uses the 200T until the wood is too big to cut, then we go accordingly: 361, 441, and so on.

Long story short, I just became a Dolmar dealer, and I'm collecting this info to better understand what crews are using.

The local crew currently runs 200t's and 361's almost exclusively. What Dolmar should I demo them? The PS 5100 or the PS 401? I'll leave it with them for a week or better, so they can get a good feel for it.

I'm going to order the saw this week, so they can use it before they move on to the next job 150 miles away.

Hopefully a Silky handsaw, 192t, or 200 rear handle. Sometimes the 200t or 361 have to be taken into a tree.

Well come to think about it, if I need my 395 in a tree it will be a
expensive job! I may have been part serious at least! I am like most
on the topic a light weight and good power saw is my preference.

The biggest i've had in a tree is my 362. I couldn't imagine having my 395 with a 32" bar on it up in the tree. I was kidding about the v-8 hot saw in the tree. But that would be a site to see.

Long story short, I just became a Dolmar dealer, and I'm collecting this info to better understand what crews are using.

The local crew currently runs 200t's and 361's almost exclusively. What Dolmar should I demo them? The PS 5100 or the PS 401? I'll leave it with them for a week or better, so they can get a good feel for it.

I'm going to order the saw this week, so they can use it before they move on to the next job 150 miles away.

The 5100s has quickly become my go-to saw on the ground displacing the 260 & 036. Set up with an 18" bar the saw does all I ask of it. The 401 I believe is geared more to homeowners and occasional users, it is still a good saw. The 3410th will never have the power of the ms200t but take a 1/3 off the price of the stihl and you still have a good little climbing saw. imho :)

The stihl climbing saws are the best in the world for power and weight. I like the ms200t a lot so far, and the 192 is not bad for a second saw, but I wouldn't go without the 200. I like the old 026 Super for the bigger cuts on a climb. As for the base cuts and bucking up, I've only used stihl, but I've heard Huskies have more power in the bigger end. Is that a myth?

The 5100s has quickly become my go-to saw on the ground displacing the 260 & 036. Set up with an 18" bar the saw does all I ask of it. The 401 I believe is geared more to homeowners and occasional users, it is still a good saw. The 3410th will never have the power of the ms200t but take a 1/3 off the price of the stihl and you still have a good little climbing saw. imho :)

I take it you have some time with the 3410TH; there is only a little over 1cc listed difference between the 200t, and the 3410. . . . Is that really noticeable out in the work?

I talked with the local crew again, and they said they would like to try the 3410 as apposed to any other I have mentioned. The crew boss said they have dropped a few 200t's in the past, and have thought about the cost of replacement. The 3410's are much cheaper than the 200t's, so your wallet wouldn't feel such a loss after an oopsie.

i looked at the 3410 the other day.

i didn't like the way the handle was too far back.felt unballanced to me.i'd like to try it on the job instead of in the showroom.

in the air i use the 192t,200t,and 346xp NE. the new 346xp is really turning out to be an incredible saw.the more i use it the more it impresses me.i run it with a 16 bar with 3/8 Stihl RSC chain.talk about fast and SMOOOOOTH! i may have to buy another one.

climping saw

hi i´m from dk i love my 200t in the trees it's just perfect without the back handle and light starts every time.:chainsaw:

I take it you have some time with the 3410TH; there is only a little over 1cc listed difference between the 200t, and the 3410. . . . Is that really noticeable out in the work?

I talked with the local crew again, and they said they would like to try the 3410 as apposed to any other I have mentioned. The crew boss said they have dropped a few 200t's in the past, and have thought about the cost of replacement. The 3410's are much cheaper than the 200t's, so your wallet wouldn't feel such a loss after an oopsie.

On small cuts I have not found any difference. The stihl does pull better in bigger wood. My main reason for the purchase was the handle design. The dolmar has better ergonomics compared to the box of the stihl. As for the dropping, a few dollars on some breakaway bungee laynards might help that. I would also look at the 5100s as a ground saw, it really has impressed me. good luck with the dealership.

Topping Saw

I run a Dolmar 5100s 16" bar all the time. ( until I need a larger saw of course ) Before that I used 346xps and before that it was husky 42 specials. Actually, over the winter I picked up a 346xp new edition to see if it keeps up with the dolmar, I haven't even ran it yet but I do like the feel of the husky better & the slimmer profile. Ive been using them for topping saws for over 15 years, but I will sacrifice a little weight for the extra power and torque of the dolmar. We will find out Monday when I get back to work.

I tried top handle saws before but I just cant get used to the feel plus they lack power big time. ( 95% of my jobs are removals) It's funny watching some of my competitors doing removals with the top handles, in the time it takes them to make a cut, I'd make 3.

get that non cat muffler.

I run a Dolmar 5100s 16" bar all the time. ( until I need a larger saw of course ) Before that I used 346xps and before that it was husky 42 specials. Actually, over the winter I picked up a 346xp new edition to see if it keeps up with the dolmar, I haven't even ran it yet but I do like the feel of the husky better & the slimmer profile. Ive been using them for topping saws for over 15 years, but I will sacrifice a little weight for the extra power and torque of the dolmar. We will find out Monday when I get back to work.

I tried top handle saws before but I just cant get used to the feel plus they lack power big time. ( 95% of my jobs are removals) It's funny watching some of my competitors doing removals with the top handles, in the time it takes them to make a cut, I'd make 3.

my dealer got it for me.the part # is 544 02 83 01 d

bucket saw

the only two saws I have in my bucket is 200t and my 440.I have used the 880 5 times in the bucket 3 times 30 inch bar and 2 times with 48 inch bar.couldnt drop the trees no drop zone had to chunck it all the way down.I have no problems running the 880 its an awsome saw.the 200t I run 16 inch bars on them and 25 on the 440.my 460 was stolen so im back to the back up saw 440.I do want to try the dolmar 5100 and the 7900 see what kind of power they have anyone try the 7900 by dolmar.I tryed echo had them for about a month sold them to a home owner no power.had the 360t and 8000.

I do want to try the dolmar 5100 and the 7900 see what kind of power they have anyone try the 7900 by dolmar.

Actually about 5 years ago I replaced my Husky 372's and 385's with Sthil 460's and my husky 394's with sthil 660's. Last year I replaced my sthil 460's for the Dolmar 7900's. I love the 7900's with 20" bars they really rip. Bigger bars I go for the 660's.

I like my 200t in the air. Just today I had the 440 with a 32" AND:dizzy: the

200t on my belt, what a pain:dizzy:

Husky 335xp with a small muff mode does OK limbing. Anyone else have problems

with the husky, when you are holding the saw in a difficult position making a

cut, that it's hard to let go of the trigger? Harder than the 200t anyway.

Looked at the Dolmar top handle when I was picking up the ps5100s and it looked too much like my old echo 240.

Love The 5100 though, have only run 3 tanks through it and WEEEEEEEEEEEEEE......... does it cut fast:chainsaw:

Last edited:
treeslayer when the 660 came out I had nothing but problems with them they kept on seizing.stihl replaced them twice the third time I upgraded to the 880 and I love it.Do you have any problems with the 660 sounds like they got the problem resolved.

treeslayer when the 660 came out I had nothing but problems with them they kept on seizing.stihl replaced them twice the third time I upgraded to the 880 and I love it.Do you have any problems with the 660 sounds like they got the problem resolved.

I did have one seize years ago but I haven't had a problem since. I have 6 of them ready to work and I use the seized one for parts. I carry 3 with me and have 3 for backups. Each has a different size bar 25, 28 & 36" I barley use the 36". The 25" is usually my go to saw.

Latest posts

Back