Your favorite climbing/bucket saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The biggest i've had in a tree is my 362. I couldn't imagine having my 395 with a 32" bar on it up in the tree. I was kidding about the v-8 hot saw in the tree. But that would be a site to see.

I had need of it in one but did not have it then! The biggest
I had in a tree was a o75 stihl twenty years ago with a 48"
bar and needed every inch!

On small cuts I have not found any difference. The stihl does pull better in bigger wood. My main reason for the purchase was the handle design. The dolmar has better ergonomics compared to the box of the stihl. As for the dropping, a few dollars on some breakaway bungee laynards might help that. I would also look at the 5100s as a ground saw, it really has impressed me. good luck with the dealership.

Great info! . . . And thank you.:)

Thank you guyz for posting on this thread. All this info will help me a lot in my evaluations, and what I report to Dolmar. If they really want a huge market share, they need to listen to the guyz on the ground (Or in a tree). ;)

I run a Dolmar 5100s 16" bar all the time. ( until I need a larger saw of course ) Before that I used 346xps and before that it was husky 42 specials. Actually, over the winter I picked up a 346xp new edition to see if it keeps up with the dolmar, I haven't even ran it yet but I do like the feel of the husky better & the slimmer profile. Ive been using them for topping saws for over 15 years, but I will sacrifice a little weight for the extra power and torque of the dolmar. We will find out Monday when I get back to work.

I tried top handle saws before but I just cant get used to the feel plus they lack power big time. ( 95% of my jobs are removals) It's funny watching some of my competitors doing removals with the top handles, in the time it takes them to make a cut, I'd make 3.

Excellent! I keep hearing a lot of good things about the 5100. What Stihl do you think runs side by side with the 5100?

Internal design

There are a few other things to consider along with displacement.. like piston design for example, stihl uses dual ring pistons giving the saw more torque and less of a tendancy to bog out under load but the rpms don't climb as high.. husky and jonsered on the other hand both use single ring pistons... not as much torque but the rpms will scream, gets up to speed faster and should cut faster in comparison until you really lean on er... not sure about dolmar internals but thats my 2cents anyways...
:chainsaw:
cheers

There are a few other things to consider along with displacement.. like piston design for example, stihl uses dual ring pistons giving the saw more torque and less of a tendancy to bog out under load but the rpms don't climb as high.. husky and jonsered on the other hand both use single ring pistons... not as much torque but the rpms will scream, gets up to speed faster and should cut faster in comparison until you really lean on er... not sure about dolmar internals but thats my 2cents anyways...
:chainsaw:
cheers

Thanks for the 2 cents. :)

Latest posts

Back