Your first saw??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first saw was a Remington Logmaster at around 13 years of age. I think the saw was heavier than me.:D

My first saw was almost a poulan or a sears cheapie just to get a small job done. Luckily I took a friend’s advice and laid down some serious cash and bought a 026. That saw has paid for itself ten fold, still looks and runs like new, and now is the father of a MS 200T, HT75, 066 (first used saw), and looking to get a 360 to complete the family. Addictive pleasure? You bet.

The first saw that I ran was a Johny something, But the next saw was a Stihl 026. I did a tree job in Syracuse and the lady asked me how much for the work.....? how about $300 just the price of a 029 Super Farm Boss. Its been down hill ever since then.

Later,
Chris

1st saw was a Husky 55 Rancher...still have it. Then added an Echo CS3000, then CS3400, then MS200T (the thing SCREAMS!!!), another 55 Rancher (use the old one for parts now), and now an MS290. Plan to go 044 or bigger next....yeah, maybe something that can handle the Alaskan saw mill!

Thought that I would bring this one up again as there are still some people missing in this thread (or they are so OLD they just can't remember, right Doug??)LOL:p My first saw was my grand dad's old Homelite 360 Professional, man what a heavy saw for the power!! then I got an 036 and relized what a dog the 360 was!!

A Husky 55 Rancher my wfe surprised me with at Christmas. Now have a 362XP as a big brother for the larger trees. However, since I've mentioned the 55R, I have a question:

;)

What is the recommended torque for the cylinder head to case bolts on this saw? Also, is there a special tightening sequence. Dont' ask why I had to open it up. :D However, I've got a new gasket and need to put it back together and was wondering on the specs.

Thanx & Best Regards,
Jay

Started with a Remington 14" electric, graduated to a Craftsman 20" two years ago, got a Stihl 031 and 045 Super around last Christmas, and finally picked up an 075 two months ago. Craftsman may not be a Stihl or Husky or Jonsey, but it cut up 6 or 7 big oaks (20 - 30") with zero problems.

Chris B.

Homelite XL103, then an 850, a small Mac that served as a climbing saw, some Poulans and now Stihls Huskys and Jonsereds. I have no idea how many I have.

First chainsaw I used was some POS early '90s McCullouch cheapo owned by the guy whose house I was caretaking/living in upstate NY. The only time I was warm that winter was when I was working up a sweat trying to cut with it. The power company cut a bunch of trees by the roadside one day and as I was out there with that little mac, some guys showed up with something big and orange, lopping off rounds like so much sausage. That's when I knew something was wrong.
The first saw I actually owned was a used Stihl 039 I found at the hardware store for $250
Man what a difference.

55 Cylinder Torque

Hi Diesel Jay, There doesn`t appear to be a specific torque for the 55 cylinder but it will be somewhere around 10ft/lbs, probably less based on other saws with listed specs. Consider this, you are supposed to reassemble the saw using the 8mm T handle wrench so how much torque can you reasonably get with this tool? As a rough idea for anyone tearing into something for the first time, try tightening before loosening to get a feel for how much torque you need. So anyway, you don`t need to really reef on those screws but you should tighten in a cross pattern trying to attain uniformity in the applied torque. There has been much discussion about the true value of using torque wrenches and in most cases it has been decided that they are best for obtaining this uniformity rather than a specific torque. Hope this helps.

Russ

My first saw was a Homelite Super EZ that I traded in when I got my Stihl 028 Super. Now I wish I had kept the EZ. I now know that it is sort of a classic saw like the 028. I bought two of the Supers, I got one and my father-in-law got the other. His cut a lot of wood because they entirely heated with wood in northern Minnesota. He is dead now and I have both saws . They both run great I have been using his saw for sentimental reasons.

Hi Russ:

I appreciate the reply. I sort of figured as much, but wanted to confirm before I reassembled. Again, I appreciate it. Gotta' keep my first saw running! :D

Best Regards,
Jay

first saw?

A misery whip and an axe, then when I was old enough to handle power toys a Mac 250, not fast but could grunt through near any tree in these parts. Next one was a smaller Mac with a power tune up that cost more than the saw new but would that saw cut. Now I have yellow ones, green ones, red ones, orange ones and a blue one. Every so often I buy them a new friend to keep them company. Once the bug bites you you stay bit.

i got my first saw at 13. i can not remember if it was the IEL pioneer or the green poulan(pull on and on). can't recall the model of the poulan. since then i've owned hundreds of saws in differant makes and models. some of the brands are stihl, husky, poulan, partner, echo, shindiawa, remington, david bradley, dolmer, sachs, makita, mall, mccullough, eager beaver, homelite, dayton, gr line, lombard, jonsered, olympyk. i probally missed a few but i'm close. marty

First saws

My first saws were two Pioneers I inheirited from my dad:
A Holiday "G" and a 3270. Both saws right now need repairs, not sure if I'll ever get them running again... the Holiday may not be worth it... it was our go-to saw and has seen MUCH action. We shall see...

However, the first saw I bought myself was a Husky 365 a few weeks ago... and it was love at first cut. :)

Homey XL. Used/abused it until it wouldn't start (or stop, I forget). Traded it for a Stihl case, which I don't use much either.

Latest posts

Back