Your thoughts on a new saw.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
5100 is fo' sure not in the "same power level" as a 290. 5100 will cut circles around them gutless wonders!

The MS290 has got to be the most overrated overweight brick of a saw i have ever laid my hands on!!
(forgot to add the MS310 as well)

Just because of the Stihl name it must be a good saw right? :rolleyes: However i guess as a functioning saw they do fulfill most needs. They turn on. They cut, and they turn off.

Not my idea of a good saw though. ;)

With a muffler mod and a fine tune also a sharp chain I found the 290 to have more umph than a dolmar 5100 but that doesn't mean I thought the stihl was way better the dolmar was lighter and smoother and got the job done just the same . That was not a general statement about all comparisons of those models just what I observed between the two I handled . This is my opinion but I would say The stihl saws are very high quality the fit and finish is the standard set you can just visually look at their lineup and see .they don't skimp or cut corners *but they just are more utilitarian and less refined and lacking in features compared to huskys .the stihl products are not innovative to me . To me the dolmar is somewhere in the middle between those two brands ..except the appearance of them seems cheap in comparison .cant put my finger on it but To me they have that low budget plasticky poulon look. I think maybe a lot of people are turned off by their appearance maybe it's more to do with dolmars lack of marketing ..who knows

With a muffler mod and a fine tune also a sharp chain I found the 290 to have more umph than a dolmar 5100 but that doesn't mean I thought the stihl was way better the dolmar was lighter and smoother and got the job done just the same . That was not a general statement about all comparisons of those models just what I observed between the two I handled . This is my opinion but I would say The stihl saws are very high quality the fit and finish is the standard set you can just visually look at their lineup and see .they don't skimp or cut corners *but they just are more utilitarian and less refined and lacking in features compared to huskys .the stihl products are not innovative to me . To me the dolmar is somewhere in the middle between those two brands ..except the appearance of them seems cheap in comparison .cant put my finger on it but To me they have that low budget plasticky poulon look. I think maybe a lot of people are turned off by their appearance maybe it's more to do with dolmars lack of marketing ..who knows

I find many people go on a saws looks and have a bias opinion of the saw before they have even run it. Same goes with brands because someone told them brand XYZ is no good that means all their products in the future are rubbish? I have used some rotten model Stihl's and some rotten Husqvarna's. Everyone drops the ball on a certain model from time to time. Stihl just seems to be better equipped to manage and recover from something like this than any other brand.

Stihl is the best saw company in the world. Notice i did not say they make the best saws. Their marketing and advertising and also their good dealers are what makes the brand so popular. Dolmar in particular could learn a lot from Stihls example.

Yes a lot of it is name recognition, and appearances.

Yes Sir a 290 looks a whole bunch like a 440/460.

Most ALL saws look "pasticky" because they are. (glass reinforced nylon in Dolmars case)

Dolmar has,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and still does make a very good saw. You can't say that about Homelite, McCulloch, Poulan, the list goes on.

Running a Dolmar in a sea of Stihl fanatics is like bringing an old mopar to an all Chevy event,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,it ain't going to get any respect until you put them to the task they were built for!

Is it an original 346XP or a new edition one?

From the serial number, on my new edition it has the actual build year 2011 stamped on the small badge. On older saws i believe it is only the last 2 digits of the build year.
I will have a look today. I have 2 now, one with primer bubble and one without. Without just used for spares.

You can say that about ANY saw!

The chain is key, your 290 with a proper chain could conceivably smoke a 660/880 with a rocked chain.

And your argument about looking 'plasticky' is horseshat, the 290 IS plastic!

I will have a look today. I have 2 now, one with primer bubble and one without. Without just used for spares.

You did good,

I have never ran a 5000 but have ran plenty 6000i/6800i's.

One thing about them lil' Dolmars is they will pull a 3/8 just fine.

The 'builders' tell you to never run 3/8 on a 50cc saw, but then again they do NOT build 5100s by their own admission.

There is NOT a lot of money to be made on them, so of course they will 'steer' you towards what butters their bread eh?

Not related but how do work out the age of a husky 346 from the serial nr??

The first two digits of the serial number (or four on the latest saws) will tell the year, the next two will tell the month, and the last five digits is the number within that week.

If any of them were made before about week 18 1999, it will be a little different on those - but I doubt any were made that early.

You can also post the serial number on here.

You can say that about ANY saw!

The chain is key, your 290 with a proper chain could conceivably smoke a 660/880 with a rocked chain.

And your argument about looking 'plasticky' is horseshat, the 290 IS plastic!

Both saws I was referring to had sharp chains lol of coarse all modern saws use plastic . I guess my point was dolmars had a look that seemed low budget that doesn't mean they are junk or not comparable. ..just simply that in my opinion they have a cheap appearance .

YUP!

You have your right to your opinion.

Guess a lot of folks think that way, oh well y'all don't know what your missing.

I presume you have never operated a broken in 362 C-M, because if you did you would find it every bit as good as a 562. In fact, one member who has both actually preferred the 362 - the starting procedure is certainly simpler. The weight difference is greater in the 50cc class, but the 261 is said to have more torque, but I have never run one.

Also, my old 044 is as light and as nimble and as powerful as any pre-electronic stock 70 cc saw. That does not mean I do not have great respect for Husky 372s.

It is rare that there is only one brand of good saw in a class. Be a little more open minded.

You'll love the 362 until you have to take one apart. I can make a 362 fly but I don't enjoy the dismantling process. They're heavy because there's a bunch of over engineering on the saw.

After 30+ years in the trades I can attest NOTHING can be overbuilt.

Not a Stihl lover by any means, but some folks just have a knack for breaking things.

Yup some fellas could wreck an Anvil playing with it in a sandbox!

After 30+ years in the trades I can attest NOTHING can be overbuilt.

Not a Stihl lover by any means, but some folks just have a knack for breaking things.

Yup some fellas could wreck an Anvil playing with it in a sandbox!

I see your point. But we both know that the more parts you add you just add more things to break

Hi Guys,
I know this sounds as if it should have been talked about. I was at a trade show last week and I am looking at a 50-60cc saw. I have seen soo many now and cant decide. Wont be used day to day but would like the best I can afford. I have an old 346xp ported which is now becoming iffy. Bar size? Probably no more than 20". I enjoy the wild ride of the 346 when it runs!
Any thoughts would be nice.
Paul

I ran my 346xp oe for 13 years with a 20" bar (non ported) - mainly cutting firewood, felling small diameter trees, and limbing. Loved the light weight and 'wild ride' as you put it, but it bogged in bigger wood. I was leary about getting larger saw as I like light weight and am aging, but finally gave in to the need for more power - kicked tires for ages and settled on a 562xp (should have done it long ago). All I can say is .... VERY IMPRESSIVE! It's a SEXY BEAST!

For just another appx pound in weight, the BIG power upgrade and nimble handling knocked my socks off. I heard all the hype previously and took it with grain of salt .... BUT, after running it, it's gotta be the saw to beat in 60cc class.

I'm going to put a 16" bar on my 346xp for teeny stuff (she deserves a break in her old age), and run 562xp/Techlite 20" bar as my main ride :)

The first two digits of the serial number (or four on the latest saws) will tell the year, the next two will tell the month, and the last five digits is the number within that week.

If any of them were made before about week 18 1999, it will be a little different on those - but I doubt any were made that early.

You can also post the serial number on here.
This is the serial number sn09 1500337
All the numbers are arranged like this: 965 16 70-00
sn: 09 1500337
e5*97/68sh3g3
202/88*0099*00

The spares 346 is : 956 41 01-00
03 3700300

This is the serial number sn09 1500337
All the numbers are arranged like this: 965 16 70-00
sn: 09 1500337
e5*97/68sh3g3
202/88*0099*00

The spares 346 is : 956 41 01-00
03 3700300

The first one is a 50cc one made 2009 week 15, the second one at least originally was a 45cc one, made 2003 week 37.

965 16 70-00 etc is the "part number" for the complete powerhead.

The first one is a 50cc one made 2009 week 15, the second one at least originally was a 45cc one, made 2003 week 37.

965 16 70-00 etc is the "part number" for the complete powerhead.
Thanks!

I don't know what the BLANK is going on here, but it seems like people are responding today to stuff I wrote weeks ago. I think some posts must have been delayed, or something else weird is going on here. Just seems very strange, like a time warp!

I don't know what the BLANK is going on here, but it seems like people are responding today to stuff I wrote weeks ago. I think some posts must have been delayed, or something else weird is going on here. Just seems very strange, like a time warp!

Yup i got a 106 responses at once earlier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Stihl 310 (3/8 20"), has seved me very well for 12 years of backyard firewood cutting (6/7 cord/yr). A new fuel line/filter...rim sprocket... FC chain (sharp), a MM and re-tune last year and it's running as good as ever. Always been a reliable saw. I'm used to how it feels. A little heavy?...so what...I don't trim overhead w/it. And I can bump it up to a 390 for not a lot of money. "Homeowner" saw? Yeah...so? It does it's job and isn't used on a daily basis. Got a Dolmar 510 last year, stock. It's a pleasure to use...smaller, lighter and it just thumps along and cuts very well...18" bar and 3/8" chain and I'm very happy. It's set-up and feels like the Stihl, i.e., inboard clutch, side adjust chain. I'm happy w/this 50cc saw. Now I have a chance to upgrade to a Dolmar 7300 and if I can swing it I think I'll sell or trade the 310 and get the 7300. I've found Dolmars to be very comfortable and comparable in handling to my Stihl (which I'm quite used to by now), and would like to have a 72cc to go along w/my 50cc 510. Love the looks of a Husky 562 but I'm not yet sold on a computer chip controlling my saw. My neighbor has an old Husky 51 that he loves. A friend just got a Red Max G5300 (Husky 353). But Husky's have a different "feel" to them and I'm simply not used to it. If I had a 346xp to play with, who knows?...There are many good saws out there but I can only use what I know works for me...Wish i could afford more of them. Seems to come down to what you've had good experiences with over the years and what your friends use. I even like the feel of my little 33cc Bandit Homelite that I use for small trim work...it's my loaner. Why Dolmar doesn't upgrade it's advertising/parts supply I'll never know...neither does my dealer...they could do much better if they pushed it. Too bad. Seems there's enough good saws to go around for all of us though.

Latest posts

Back