"You're In Bow Country"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wagonwheeler

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
That's what the owner said at the local Poulan shop when I told him I was looking for guards for an old bow. And it brought a smile of rememberance to my face to hear him say it.

This is the shop I went into 25-30 years ago when the pulpwood cutters were at thier peak. Even now he has bow saws sitting and hanging nearly everywhere you look. Customers saws, that is. And like in the old days, finding bows w/ guards on them is the exception. But he's got boxes and boxes of bows to fit probably any make powerhead. Guards are $12.95 each. I didn't see any saws with upper guards, btw, just lower guards or none.

I also asked him if he by chance had a Poulan 5400 or 5500. He said he had one w/ a bow on it he sold last year and another that came in earlier this year, but the older gent that owned it had trouble pulling over the newer smaller saws and came back and got his 5400 back. Since then the gent passed away and the shop owner doens't know where the 5400 is now...

Anyway he said he's got every single part necessary to absolutely rebuilt a 5400 and for me to check in now and again for the next one and whatever it needs he can provide.

It was like stepping back in time to be in that shop again, and really good to see all those old Poulans and bows still doin their thing.

Chaser

I had a similar experience this week. I stopped into an old boat shop I have not been in for probably 10 years. The prices were still the same as the last time I was there. The owner has a good amount of logging supplies, and I picked up some heavy duty chokers really reasonable. The thing that iced my cake was a brand new 090 G sitting in the corner of the shop with a blanket of dust over it. Just like an old watch dog. Man I tell ya I had lead in my pencil for the rest of the day.

Hey Chaser, did you get the guards you needed for your bow? I have some short ones I'll send you gratis. They don't exactly match up with the holes on your Stihl bow, but I was able to make them work on my 16" with just the one hole mounted, or you can do like I did with my new ones and drill through the guards to mount. You'll probably have a tough time getting anything for a Stihl bow just becuase the company has become so lawsuit leary about those things, but I love mine. I wanna go cutting but its just hard to get motivated with the weather being so hot and other work to be done,
J.D.

Back