Yup! Another OIl Thread but with a twist

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VINIFIREWOOD

I only no what I know
Reaction score
Lets face it. The old argument of which oil is the best will go on long after all of us are dead and gone
So what I'm looking for here is some insight into some brands out there that don't get mentioned around here much if at all.
One that comes to my mind is Royal Purple. Very trusted brand by many in the automotive racing world but I'm not sure I have ever seen it mentioned on AS. I know they make 2-stroke oil, and if its on par with their other products its sure to be a good product.
Another company out there that I know of is FHS, out of Clover, SC.
A friend back home was big into cart racing and FHS was the brand of oil to run with those guys. Looking at their website they have a 2-stroke specific oil called Super Green along with a handful of others that apparently can be used as mix oil.

So this is what I'm looking for. The oils that don't get much "screen time" or the smaller not as well known companies out there and if you guys have any experience with them.

I did not know that Royal Purple made 2 stroke oil. I always used their oil in my motorcycles and when I bought Polaris oil for my quad, it appears to be in fact, Royal Purple oil. I may have to look into this a bit, thanks for the heads up.

Vini found some stuff from Castrol. Valvoline makes some too and there's a bunch of off brand from Dollar General and the like. Don't reccomend the off brand unless you're in a pinch used the other two didn't notice any real difference. I've ran royal purple in my scooter did notice abit more power in it and not as much smoke. Started using it when I noticed bad carbon deposits from Castrol. Motor outlived the rest of the scooter. After I run out of my Pioneer super lube going to looking into what's just as good if not better.

This whole last year I have running Power Plus 100% synthetic oil. Its made by Manhattan Oil, it is formulated for cart racing.
I mixed 25-30 gallons of saw gas with this oil this last year with good luck. It has a hint of cherry smell out the exhaust. Im going to be tearing into my 372 to see how it looks inside.
I heard about this oil from a saw builder in Roseburg Oregon... he swears by it so I thought I would give it a shot.

http://www.powerpluslubricants.com/engineoilsandadditives.html
Here is a short write up they have on the website.

"
  • • Formulated for race karts
  • • Extends engine life
  • • Increases horsepower and reliability through reduced friction
  • • Quicker lap times
  • • Eliminates excessive plug fouling, excessive carbon deposits and exhaust smoke
  • • For gasoline use
  • Power Plus is a revolutionary 100% Synthetic 2 Cycle Oil developed for high stress demands. Its superior capabilities of reducing friction gives the ultimate in performance and protection. The clean characteristics of Power Plus 100% Synthetic are unmatched eliminating plug fouling and dirty deposits. For maximum performance and reliability Power Plus is "The Unfair Advantage"."

Oil brands are pretty much region/ country [other than the multi nationals] orientated, the smaller company's may or may not, have a rating, if they do you are good to go as you have a rating to compare, if not, it is a have to know, or take advice from some one who has tried it. Seems to come down to personal choice more than 1 product being better than the next, my view on this is it`s much more important to INCLUDE the correct amount of oil in the mix than the brand name on the container. If you use a FC/FD rated oil you won`t go far wrong. But not to stray from the topic to far some of the brands available here that are excellent IPONE, IGOL, ELF,CETEX.

Good stuff here guys. Some brands mentioned here that i already knew about but after being away from any type of racing for a few years now the mind has a way of forgetting.

I checked out Brad Penn and the Cen-Pe-Co sites but didn't see any 2-stroke oils.

Another one I remembered was Schaeffers, I've never run any of their products myself but know quite a few people that do and really like it.

Torco, already mentioned, is another one my brain had forgotten about. I see they make 3 different 2-stroke oils with the T-2R being the one best suited for saws.

Renewable Lubricants I had not heard of. Their web site shows the Bio-Syn being formulated for "high performance air-cooled engines" and says it meets "Husqvarna Chain Saw requirements". Very interesting. Here is a link to that one. http://www.renewablelube.com/2cycle.html

Manhattan Oils "Power Plus", seems like I've read about this one before on AS but still a good one to mention. I see they have a full Synthetic and a Castor based product also for the guys that like Castor.

Good stuff guys keep it coming.

I have to admit that I usually read thru the different oil threads here mostly out of curiosity of why guys use certain brands. A lot of times its out of personal preference but also other reasons such as recommendations from others for various reasons. Also its interesting to hear why they don't use certain oils, maybe this one gives them a head ache or that one they just can't stand the smell of along with a whole list of other viable reasons.

So this was more of a "here is a few other choices" thread other than a "Best oil" thread and it been just that.
Thanks :clap: and keep them coming. Been some good ones mentioned already and I'm sure their are a few more out there

Any one used Red Max products I see they have a Kart mix. According to their website they've been in business since the 70's.

I'm using G-Oil Bio-Synthetic - JASO-FC/ISO L-EDG and API service category TC

Save the planet one tank at a time huh Chris. Does it have any odor burning?
No - it certainly doesn't smell like burning plastic like Ultra does, plus it's rated higher.

I actually got four bottles because MalWart was clearing them out for dirt cheap. I like it a lot so far and will probably stick with it if I can get it. It goes well with granola. And my canola bar oil.

Latest posts

Back