My favorite saw seized up

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bj Shock

Master COB
Reaction score
My "go to" saw for the last couple seasons bit the dust.The saw is a ms290,that I installed a 390 engine in.The new engine was of the "Chiwainese" variety. When I get around to tearing it down,I'm sure I will have some dum questions for you guys..On a brighter note,The MS 460 that I recently did a top end job on performs flawlessly. I used a kit from Hy-Way. I hope it lasts longer than 2 years
I have been a steady Lurker on this site lately. It seems like I learn something new every time I visit.

Oh! I think I owe somebody some kinda bottle of scotch or somethin....Thanx fellers.

How did it die?

Was it the far east's fault or yours?

What killed the original engine? Did you repair that before the new engine was added?

All in all, sounds like you cut a bunch of wood for $40 a year.

If it ran a couple years, probably not a manufacturing defect. It may have gone lean.

I tore down a Stihl 021 today that was locked up tight. I pulled it apart and found the rod bearing on the crankshaft was bluish purple and stuck fast. Interestingly though, the piston and cylinder are perfect. I'll get the piston off the rod and reuse it with a different crank. Not sure how it could get that hot and not have any piston issues...

When I went to start it, It barely fired,made a noise like a card in the spokes of a youngin's bike.And then I couldn't pull the rope. I didn't even get mad. I just put it in the truck and went for a walk. When I got back to the shop,I took the starter cover off..Nuthin wrong with it...so I thought maybe the clutch....no dice...so i pulled the muffler..I can see the top of the piston..It looks beat up...so I put it up on the shelf.One of these days I'll tear it down. I got tillers, mowers, and bikes to work on.

I would like to share a lil story. That day, in the woods, the frogs were
so loud, over in the swamp,the sound hurt my ears. So I walked over to the swamp to check it out.As I got closer,the noise in my immediate area ceased.As i made my way through the swamp,the noise would start back up behind me.The thing is I NEVER saw a frog or nothin. My one pal told me they are tiny, and thats why I couldn't see um....Anybody???

so loud, over in the swamp,the sound hurt my ears. So I walked over to the swamp to check it out.As I got closer,the noise in my immediate area ceased.As i made my way through the swamp,the noise would start back up behind me.The thing is I NEVER saw a frog or nothin. My one pal told me they are tiny, and thats why I couldn't see um....Anybody???
Probably what we call spring peepers here. They are loud this time of year and taper off in a month or so. I had never seen one either until my son (when he was 6-7) started lookin for them. They were tiny & all along the creek right at the edge of the water. I love the sound in early spring!

When I went to start it, It barely fired,made a noise like a card in the spokes of a youngin's bike.And then I couldn't pull the rope. I didn't even get mad. I just put it in the truck and went for a walk. When I got back to the shop,I took the starter cover off..Nuthin wrong with it...so I thought maybe the clutch....no dice...so i pulled the muffler..I can see the top of the piston..It looks beat up...so I put it up on the shelf.One of these days I'll tear it down. I got tillers, mowers, and bikes to work on.

Spring peepers do not like tall things walking around them. My theory is they are hardwired against herons. Hard to see them when peeping, they hide fast and aren't very big to begin with. I finally got a pic of one laying eggs last month.

Attachments

• IMG_20150311_180417.jpg
    IMG_20150311_180417.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 71
Spring peepers do not like tall things walking around them. My theory is they are hardwired against herons. Hard to see them when peeping, they hide fast and aren't very big to begin with. I finally got a pic of one laying eggs last month.
I doubt that spring peepers like the 290 FarmBoss either. That saw weighs far too much for the power that it delivers. My circa 1977 Mac 610 weighs a tad more but pulls a 28" bar:

Can a stock 290 pull a 28" bar like this Mac did? I doubt it. I used the Stihl only to noodle cut the big rounds that the Mac bucked. Sure, I could have used my 046 to buck the logs, but why not let an old veteran get the job done?

I built this for Phil last summer. He passed away shortly after he shot this video so he never did get to run the saw again, but it hauled the mail.

What do you run for fuel oil mix?

I built this for Phil last summer. He passed away shortly after he shot this video so he never did get to run the saw again, but it hauled the mail.

Fat man in a little coat. Oops.
Big wood owned by little saw. Yeah runs good like to se what it would have done to a pine

And a follow up..here's her babies! Same puddle.

Attachments

• IMG_20150409_102508.jpg
    IMG_20150409_102508.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20150409_102520.jpg
    IMG_20150409_102520.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 14
Back