028 Super vs. 346XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This thread brings to light the reason the 028 is considered one of the greatest firewood saws of all time.

wouldn't know. and I don't go beatin the drum here all the time for the 346. but tuned right, it's a stomping little 50cc saw. OP needs to get his tuned right, and that may include a MM.

The owner's manual covers a broad range of saw options.

346xp
346xpg
346xp e-tech
346xpg e-tech
353 e-tech
353g e-tech
353g

Don't worry about that. Your saw is a 346xp, non e-tech. You would have a green fuel cap and it would say e-tech on the starter housing sticker.

It is possible your saw is ready for an adjustment after 15 tanks, but I would put a new chain on there and see if that makes a difference - and check the bar and drive rim while you're at it if you haven't already. The problem may lie in the simple difference between the two chains on the saws. The 346 typically comes from a dealer with a .325 pitch, semi-chisel narrow-kerf chain. The 028 at this point could have anything on there. If one is sharper than the other, there's your problem. Judging from your pictures, you have the semi-chisel chain on the 346 and a full chisel on the 028.

I am taking it in next week for an adjustment.

The dealer put LPX chisel on the 346. The Stihl has never had anything but Stihl brand semi-chisel on it. And that chain on the Stihl is quite old and it still out cuts the 346.:msp_unsure:

I am taking it in next week for an adjustment.

The dealer put LPX chisel on the 346. The Stihl has never had anything but Stihl brand semi-chisel on it. And that chain on the Stihl is quite old and it still out cuts the 346.:msp_unsure:

Somethig is wrong with that 346xp - I hope that dealer is a good one! :smile2:

Last edited:
..on the other hand, ST. I disagree. Maybe not his saw, but in general - the e-tech 346 is a dog out of the box. And a cuttin little bugger if you bother to wake it up.

I ani't buyin chisel being harder to pull than semi.

Its taking a minutely bigger bite, thats where the square corner comes in. Why else is it faster, even on the same saw and bar, new vs. new?
And one big reason its very hard to come by for little saws.

Its taking a minutely bigger bite, thats where the square corner comes in. Why else is it faster, even on the same saw and bar, new vs. new?
And one big reason its very hard to come by for little saws.
Raker depth determines size of bite and chain speed is why chisel cuts faster.

Somethig is wroung with that 346xp - I hope that dealer is a good one! :smile2:

I don't know about that. He said the 346 turns up just aint got the torque of the 028S. I think the stock 346 will outcut the stock 028 in limbing and such (do circles around it) but if you need to cut something with some girth that 028 is hard to beat. Might not turn as quick but it will keep going strong with the bar buried.

Raker depth determines size of bite and chain speed is why chisel cuts faster.

Why is the raker height different on new chain, its not on any I know of, least within the same brand? How is the chain faster on the same saw and bar? You are still dealing with removing more wood. If its harder to pull, then its harder to pull.

028 is a good saw. The 346 is a different animal than your old 028, it's power is in the upper rpm range. They don't cut as well when you lean hard on em, ya have to use a light hand and let them cut. Yes they will bog down when buried and leaning on them. But with the right touch they will cut faster than a 028 in the same size wood.

Like said, A Muffler Mod really wakes em up.

BTW, my new one seems faster/stronger running semi-chisel chain. The old one don't care.

Nice dogs! :cheers:

Why is the raker height different on new chain, its not on any I know of, least within the same brand? How is the chain faster on the same saw and bar? You are still dealing with removing more wood. If its harder to pull, then its harder to pull.

Wer're just gonna have to agree to disagree here. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

A good friend of mine has an 028 super. Occasionally if he rocks the chain out real bad I'll straighten it up for him, and I usually run the saw a little while I have it. I don't know how strong 028s are supposed to be as compared to a 346, but his is a real good runner. It seems very torquey for it's size.

That is exactly why I traded off my 346xpne after a year, stock, even mm they just don't have the torque, wide open on smaller stuff, they are hard to beat. IMHO the MS261 just has so much of more useable power band like the 028, 028 super, after about 15 tanks the 261 just has the torque for bucking up 16,18,20" size hardwoods. I think more and more people on here are realizing that to get the performance out of the 346's you need to put a unlimited coil in them, muffler mod them or spend 250.00 to get them modded, their just not the magic light saber than some will go to the grave insisting they are. I own both a 028 and 028 super, your just not going to get the torque, bottom end grunt out of the 346 unless you mod it, two totally different power bands, 346 high end screamer, must keep it wound to the hilt to get the performance out of it vs the wide torquier band of the 028 super. The MS 261 is all the 028 super is and more, built like a tank just like the 028's, more power, same wide power band, much better air filter setup and smooth as silk, fuel sipper. For my firewood operation I would never go back to a 346, the whole crew will take the 261's over them any day.
I respect the 346 they are a well built saw, a good saw saw just not all they are hyped up to be, some just build them up to be mythical and more than several have expressed their disappointment. The little 350's aren't that far behung and according to many the 555 is the saw that the 346 is often described as. Out of the box don't expect the 346 to be mythical light saber, some claim it to be.
It's just dang hard to improve of te old 028 supers, yes they are heavier, yes they may cut a littler slower, but they have balls, torque, and the build quality is why they will last 30 years plus as mine has.

Yes, and comparing saws with different chain on them often will result in odd results!

Sure that's true.

However how can an old semi-chisel chain out cut an almost new Oregon LPX? Both throw good chips.

I don't know about that. He said the 346 turns up just aint got the torque of the 028S. I think the stock 346 will outcut the stock 028 in limbing and such (do circles around it) but if you need to cut something with some girth that 028 is hard to beat. Might not turn as quick but it will keep going strong with the bar buried.

:clap:

Mr. Kid,

You have described things perhaps better than I did as this is exactly what is going on. The 346 is a limbing monster.

:clap:

Mr. Kid,

You have described things perhaps better than I did as this is exactly what is going on. The 346 is a limbing monster.

You can find the torque, if it's more practical to work with what you have. I went full on and ported- pop-up, mm. I've used mine all the live long days as a thinning/clearing saw. 24" bar cuttin 20"+ juniper without bogging down. I've even buried the bar at times. I'm not trying to piss about 50cc saws, use what works. I'm just saying I put mine through some pretty big nasty wood and it never lets me down. You can make that one work for you.

my 346 ran ok when i got it a few months ago,, i did a MM on it and pulled the limiters which woke it up,, then i had mastermind port it and thst really got her going,, do an MM and trim the limiters and it will wake her up

this is after the MM and limiter trimming

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Zc68UwiFbZk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

and this is after it was ported

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0DppGwFHYyg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

..of course then I went and bought a 372xpw and pretty much quit pissing about a 346.

If one class of saw isn't getting it done, you're better off moving up. The difference across brands isn't going to be enough to make a worthwhile difference.

You can find the torque, if it's more practical to work with what you have. I went full on and ported- pop-up, mm. I've used mine all the live long days as a thinning/clearing saw. 24" bar cuttin 20"+ juniper without bogging down. I've even buried the bar at times. I'm not trying to piss about 50cc saws, use what works. I'm just saying I put mine through some pretty big nasty wood and it never lets me down. You can make that one work for you.

I understand that great improvements can be made, however one shouldn't really have do extensive modifications to make an XP saw pull as well in big wood as my 20 year old saw.:(

..of course then I went and bought a 372xpw and pretty much quit pissing about a 346.

If one class of saw isn't getting it done, you're better off moving up. The difference across brands isn't going to be enough to make a worthwhile difference.

Well 3 months before I purchased this 346, I bought a Dolkita 6401 and that does take to big wood with substantially more authority.:clap:

D@mm CAD, I got by 20 years with 1 saw and now I have 3 and was thinking about getting a used 6401 with thoughts about a big bore upgrade.:wink2:

Latest posts

Back