028 Super vs. 346XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I understand that great improvements can be made, however one shouldn't really have do extensive modifications to make an XP saw pull as well in big wood as my 20 year old saw.:(

are you at all aware of what the EPA has done to performance of saws? I get the sense that perhaps this whole thread is just a troll, like so many others on the subject of the 346 vs 026/260. If you can't make it work for you, pass it on to someone that can.

are you at all aware of what the EPA has done to performance of saws? I get the sense that perhaps this whole thread is just a troll, like so many others on the subject of the 346 vs 026/260. If you can't make it work for you, pass it on to someone that can.

I appreciate your suggestions.

However come on, I am not a troll, a boar perhaps but not a troll. You could ask my wife, but she prefers to call me @$$ h6le.:redface:

As I said earlier, the dealer is great and he set the saw a touch on the rich side for break in. We'll see what happens and I'll report back.

Last edited:
your question was answered, not that I would know. But it appears it is a normal characteristic difference between the two saws. One has more torque, the other has more speed. You want more torque, it was pointed out how you can get that. It would be cheaper to make the noted mods than it would be to trade your 346 for a marginally different 028. Do you have any interest in doing that?

c5rulz, There is much to be gained with the 346.

That being said, if you send me your 028 Super I will port it for free and freshen up whatever I find that needs it. All I ask is that you pay S&H and pay for the parts. Parts will be at my cost to you. I can tell you right off the bat it will be getting new piston/rings, seals, and the carb will be gone through.

Kevin

I understand that great improvements can be made, however one shouldn't really have do extensive modifications to make an XP saw pull as well in big wood as my 20 year old saw.:(

When I first got my 346, I didn't think it was quite the saw everyone talked it up to be - but I kept in mind that everyone said I needed to muffler mod it and replace the coil with an unlimited. After I did that, I was really impressed with the difference it made. It pulls a 16" bar with 3/8" chain with authority. I also happen to have an 028 super - I do not think my 028 will keep up with my 346 now, whether limbing or bucking.

See if your dealer will make these mods for you. It turns it into a different saw.

Waylan

some one on a different thread said husky = screamer stihl = grunt used to have a husky 262xp i would have to agree with that assessment

c5rulz, There is much to be gained with the 346.

That being said, if you send me your 028 Super I will port it for free and freshen up whatever I find that needs it. All I ask is that you pay S&H and pay for the parts. Parts will be at my cost to you. I can tell you right off the bat it will be getting new piston/rings, seals, and the carb will be gone through.

Kevin

Well I certainly appreciate that. This is by far the most generous offer I have ever had from a stranger.

PM coming.:msp_smile:

some one on a different thread said husky = screamer stihl = grunt used to have a husky 262xp i would have to agree with that assessment
someone might not say that if their smallest saw was a creamsickle and their biggest saws were electrolux orange. (see my sig).

apples oranges ford chevvie, the debate never ends eh?

your question was answered, not that I would know. But it appears it is a normal characteristic difference between the two saws. One has more torque, the other has more speed. You want more torque, it was pointed out how you can get that. It would be cheaper to make the noted mods than it would be to trade your 346 for a marginally different 028. Do you have any interest in doing that?

No I would not trade a new 346 for another 028. :dizzy:

i wasn't happy with the power of my 346xpne at first either, then i cut the carb limiters and retuned. I found that the saw would
bog down easily at any rpm over 14000, but when set around 13800-13900 that i can lean on it now and it keeps pulling like it
should when buried with a 16in bar. I know this is going to start a fight but it actually out cut a ms261 when both buried in a 2'
piece of hedge at the same time 18" a part. could been a diff. in chain or user, but very happy with saw the saw now and i also run
oregon lpx chain and the saw is completely stock with no muffler mod.

Not surprised that an 028 Super would have loads of grunt. Most of those things ran 20" 3/8 set ups, and you can't do that without the power to pull it. But the difference shouldn't be to the extent that you feel disappointed in the 346. It really needs to be looked at.

Regarding the MS261, my experience was different than Indian's. Compared a 261 to 2 346's. All three owned by the same guy. All 3 had the same muff mod and 18" 3/8 chain. Both Huskys easily handed it to the 261. And we had all the bars buried in seasoned hardwood. (and yes, we double-checked chains, RPM's and such.)

So, what does that prove, and why was my experience different than Indian's? It proves a point that I always make in these X vs Y threads: These comparisons are only between the specific saws being used at the time. Conclusions about "all" X's can beat all Y's should not be drawn when only comparing one example of each. Indian's 261's might have run right with the 346's in my example and vice versa. Even comparing two or three of the same model will often show some differences.

I also thought that the 261 balanced nice and felt great to run. Not the "handles like a brick" that some of my fellow husky guys like to paint it as. Naturally, I still prefer the 346 for top work, because it's like a scalpel in that mode.

I love reading all these threads about this saw is better for... and that saw is great because...
But the ones that always give me a chuckle are the comments about this saw is the bomb IF you MM and its even more IF you port and IF you replace the coil and...
I think you get the picture. There are enough members on here I believe who want to hear about the saw as it we receive it correctly set up by a knowledgeable dealer. If I buy a $500 saw its one thing to spend $20 to get it tweaked and quite another spending :dizzy: $250-$300. At that point it may as well be the next model or two higher up the line, IMO.

My point is just this, that a saw should not NEED to have all kinds of modifications done to it to make it a serious contender. Just like a true athlete should not need steroids and such to make them shine either. My $0.02 anyway.

I love reading all these threads about this saw is better for... and that saw is great because...
But the ones that always give me a chuckle are the comments about this saw is the bomb IF you MM and its even more IF you port and IF you replace the coil and...
I think you get the picture. There are enough members on here I believe who want to hear about the saw as it we receive it correctly set up by a knowledgeable dealer. If I buy a $500 saw its one thing to spend $20 to get it tweaked and quite another spending :dizzy: $250-$300. At that point it may as well be the next model or two higher up the line, IMO.

My point is just this, that a saw should not NEED to have all kinds of modifications done to it to make it a serious contender. Just like a true athlete should not need steroids and such to make them shine either. My $0.02 anyway.
Like these kids that get super killer fast street bikes and the have to put a 1000.00 exhaust on it the first day!

Let me try to answer the OP's original question regarding the 028 seeming "torqier" than his 346. It's because it does have more torque. This is due to its having more moving mass, ie...a massive heavy flywheel. Thats why it has so much grunt when burried in bigger wood. Newer saws are made lighter, have smaller flywheels that permit higher rpms to get the job done. Older saws have more torque due primarily to more moving/heavier mass. Anyway, that's my opinion based on what a mechanic told me. Love my old 028's. Stihl's best saws.

Back