028 Super vs. 346XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would trade my brand new, never fueled 346xp for a brand new never fueled 028 super in a heartbeat. :)

If u haven't ran a modded up 028 super, your missing out. The last one I had, I set the squish, blended the lower transfers, and opened the muffler. Ended up with 190lbs of compression and it would absolutely spank the 026 I traded it for :( It ran alot more like a 60cc saw than a 50cc. Too bad I let it go....Oh well, u live u learn....

Well I am going to find out how a MODDED 028 super runs.

Kevin, the "Chainsaw Kid" is going through my saw ask we speak. :rock::bowdown:

One more thing, the Husky dealer also checked the Makita 6401 and Stihl 028 for tune and didn't charge me a dime. FWIW the 028 Super was right on the money and I tuned that one myself. The tech said that extremely small adjustments resulted in swings of 700 RPM.:eek2:

Sounds normal on a Dolmar, they tend to be that way, as far as I know.

It also sounds like that dealer is a good one! :cheers:

c5rulz, There is much to be gained with the 346.

That being said, if you send me your 028 Super I will port it for free and freshen up whatever I find that needs it. All I ask is that you pay S&H and pay for the parts. Parts will be at my cost to you. I can tell you right off the bat it will be getting new piston/rings, seals, and the carb will be gone through.

Kevin

Ron sent me his 028 and I made good on my offer. I'll be mailing it back to him tomorrow or the next day. I took video of it before and after set up a few different ways then I ported it and did it again..

Before with .325 I hand sharpened: Stihl 028 super - Stock - YouTube
Ron's saw went really nice stock and set up with the .325 Although, I also did a vid with fresh out of the box .325 Stihl RMC chain and that sucked: Stihl 028 Super - Stock - YouTube

Then I did a before with 16" 3/8 LGX and it cut well, as well...: Stihl 028 Super - Stock - YouTube

Different block of wood a week later

This is after porting with the same .325 chain: Ported 028 Super running .325 - YouTube

After with 16" LGX 3/8: Ported 028 Super 16" - YouTube

After with 18" LGX 3/8: ported 028 super 18" - YouTube

Working with the 18" LGX 3/8: Ported 028 super - YouTube

She goes good! It pulls the 18" 3/8 burried maple no problem. The .325 goes nice on this saw if it's done/sharpened correctly but the saw likes the 3/8 way better. IMO, .325 on this saw would be silly for overall use. You really notice a speed difference when you get into bigger wood.

Kevin

Well I have to Thank Kevin and this forum.

One year ago I never would have believed I would send a saw to someone I've never met, have them re-build it to like new just for the pursuit of a passion. Kevin didn't ask a dime for this. I certainly owe Kevin a debt of gratitude.

Guys if you are reading this older thread, throw some rep at Kevin, aka "Chainsaw kid".

BTW, I still think this 028 will spank my 346XP.

Well I have to Thank Kevin and this forum.

One year ago I never would have believed I would send a saw to someone I've never met, have them re-build it to like new just for the pursuit of a passion. Kevin didn't ask a dime for this. I certainly owe Kevin a debt of gratitude.

Guys if you are reading this older thread, throw some rep at Kevin, aka "Chainsaw kid".

BTW, I still think this 028 will spank my 346XP.

No problem Ron. I myself have run into some good people who helped me out.
Noteable: Adam Clarke who goes by "Aclarke" is a guy I met through a forum who basically took me under his wing and never met me either. He has done a lot for me, similar to what I did for you. It's pleasing to me to pass it on to another good person such as yourself. I have been fortunate to have several others help me along the way too. They know who they are and I am grateful.

Your 028 will out perform a stock 346 hands down now. I have your 028 a little on the fat side right now but she's smooth in the cut.

It was good getting to know you Ron. Have fun and be safe:rock:!

Kevin

I would trade my brand new, never fueled 346xp for a brand new never fueled 028 super in a heartbeat. :)

If u haven't ran a modded up 028 super, your missing out. The last one I had, I set the squish, blended the lower transfers, and opened the muffler. Ended up with 190lbs of compression and it would absolutely spank the 026 I traded it for :( It ran alot more like a 60cc saw than a 50cc. Too bad I let it go....Oh well, u live u learn....

...All this reading about the 028...mine is really "sick" right now...mind you, its not a super, but see my other posts...its just got no torque!!, Even setting my squish and having 165lbs compression, its still not right, and oh is she drinking the fuel like crazy!

Kevin, what's the compression like? Whats squish look like?

Sorry, I never took a compression reading but I can tell you it felt tough, you had to hold on to the saw when you started it. Those 028 supers have a dome piston and have a lot of compression to begin with.

I lowered the jug by making a .007 base gasket to set the squish.

All the 44mm pistons on the 028 got the domed pistons, I think the 42mm pistons are the only ones that did not. Geez Kevin, I'm ready to jump in the truck and bring my 028 up there for your diagnosis!

All the 44mm pistons on the 028 got the domed pistons, I think the 42mm pistons are the only ones that did not. Geez Kevin, I'm ready to jump in the truck and bring my 028 up there for your diagnosis!
Ya the 46mm supers were domed the 42 and 44mm non super 028 pistons weren't domed.

Ya the 46mm supers were domed the 42 and 44mm non super 028 pistons weren't domed.

Actually, the 42 and 44mm slugs were an actual "dome" type, which is the dome started at the crown edge and arched twords the center. The 46mm super slugs had whats known as a "pop-up" style crown. AFAIK, there the only OEM saw piston with that design.

"dome" type....

09572894.jpg

"pop up" type.....

1e8f4d39.jpg

Actually, the 42 and 44mm slugs were an actual "dome" type, which is the dome started at the crown edge and arched twords the center. The 46mm super slugs had whats known as a "pop-up" style crown. AFAIK, there the only OEM saw piston with that design.
Ya your exactly right...sorry for the confusion.

Is there any way to make the 44mm fit the 5K+ cylinder?

I started machining one to do that, but dont remember why I stopped?? I still got em, so ill have a look. A little birdy told me that a 44mm 028 slug, machined for a popup makes a hot-rod out of the 026 though.... :)

I started machining one to do that, but dont remember why I stopped?? I still got em, so ill have a look. A little birdy told me that a 44mm 028 slug, machined for a popup makes a hot-rod out of the 026 though.... :)

I had a birdy tell me an 028 super jug and slug makes a really good competive racing saw on an 026.

Supposedly a lot of machining, but makes a pretty potent saw. It sounds like a cool build though.

Supposedly a lot of machining, but makes a pretty potent saw. It sounds like a cool build though.

Sure does. Just off the top of my head, I would think the muffler would be the trickiest part. I guess if its sportin a pipe, u dont have much to worry about. :D

Latest posts

Back