Best all-around sub-$300 saw w/ 16" bar for homeowner?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Used MS290 on ebay for 60 bucks less than a new 350 ??
Do a search on this forum and you will find the 290 to be the most hated saw on AS.
Most of the negativity comes from people who reside in countries where the saw isn't even sold.

Let's see.... cheap plastic [email protected] 10.6 lbs.
American made saw (oh yeah..best selling saw in USA) solid built,proven @3.8hp 13lbs.
Kind of a "no-brainer" in my book.
Extra 1.4 lbs really isn't much for the satisfaction of having one of the best homeowner saws made.
And if that little extra weight bothers you so much,maybe you shouldn't be running a saw.

Sorry couldn't resist.....

sthl 290 is a bit heavy for it's power output but they can take a beating thats for sure.
is the 290 a 260 or 361 no,but for the price they are a good machine.

Let's see.... cheap plastic [email protected] 10.6 lbs.
American made saw (oh yeah..best selling saw in USA) solid built,proven @3.8hp 13lbs.
Kind of a "no-brainer" in my book.
Extra 1.4 lbs really isn't much for the satisfaction of having one of the best homeowner saws made.
And if that little extra weight bothers you so much,maybe you shouldn't be running a saw.

Last time I checked 13 minus 10.6 equaled 2.4!

OH MY!!
I agree that choke looks flimsy and cheesy, but I have seen a tre dropped on a 350, I was using my 350 to drop the tree) and the only thing that broke was the throttle lingage. Took us longer to find all the parts than it did to put it all back together. But the choke has never broken on eiher saw, it's the same setup on about all of the new Husky saws!
Muflers falling off? Airfilter problems? I've had my 350 four years now, it is still the most reliable saw I own!! If I go out, it's always with me as a back up!! I haved had ZERO problems with it!! I think the people Thall speaks of, beat those saws like dogs, and didn't take care of them, which no saw wil put up with that!
Say what you want, that was the best $300 I could have ever spent, and I would do it again in a heartbeat!!
The 455 isn't worth it, it's too heavy for the power IMO. Same with the 290, if you are going to carry the weight, may as well have the power of the 390, which you are now within the price range of a 361, see the delema?

Well, I appreciate all of the input. I bought the 350 when Peter was the only one in a time zone to give any input. LOL The weight of the 290 would not have been a problem for me if I had gone that way, but I am not a logger and will only be taking my saw out of my garage and walking somewhere on my 9 acres to make a few cuts so I believe the 350 will be plenty tough for me. My 15 year old Craftsman that just quit doesn't have a scratch on it. It just quit having spark again.

I think either saw would have served me fine, but I just feel safer buying new over a used one on ebay. Especially when there is not much more money. Had the guy on ebay responded to my question of how old his saw was sooner than this morning, I might have gone that way. It turns out that his saw is only 6 months old and used lightly. But, it was the late night time zone thing again.

John

Chainsaws are 2 cycle, require oil/fuel mix to lubricate moving parts. Homeowners often forget this small fact and pour straight gasoline into tank. The saw doesn't like this!!!

These show up on E-bay and Craig's list as "Almost New". The cost for repair can be Almost New!

Last edited:
"Barely used, in great shape!! Only bought it to take out one tree, been sitting in the garage ever since. Really don't need a saw this big anyway. I am selling this GREAT saw and just going to stick with my Wildthing"

These are ones to watch out for!!!

Yes, as Lou said, not mixing two stroke mix with the gasoline. It will kill a saw quick like!!

Lou,

Thanks for the clarification. This makes me feel like I did the right thing buying the new Husky. My wife always tells me to stop shopping once I buy something so I do not subject myself to buyer's remorse. I should listen to her.

John

Pretty odd that the 210 is in your "mix" - way less power than the others, even the 340 beats that one with a sizable margin......

Good point and very true...but my 210 just runs and runs and runs like the Energizer Bunny. Pretty good choice for a 14 - 16 in bar for the beginner. Can always move up later after getting some experience and keep the 210 for trimming. If he gets to big a saw to start he may wait too long to add to his arsenal. :laugh: :laugh:

Lou,

Thanks for the clarification. This makes me feel like I did the right thing buying the new Husky. My wife always tells me to stop shopping once I buy something so I do not subject myself to buyer's remorse. I should listen to her.

John

John,
That 350 should work just fine for you. Most folks here just want to see people get the best saw they can. And buying new is preferable over an ebay crapshoot. I would only buy a used saw from someone at Aboristsite.

Lou,

John

It's a fine saw. Keep it clean. Keep your fuel/oil mix fresh. It will serve you for a long time. For my own curiosity what color is the fuel cap?

I ordered it last night online so expect it early next week and will let you know about the cap. Why the curiosity? Are there different levels of quality on these saws?

John

I ordered it last night online so expect it early next week and will let you know about the cap. Why the curiosity? Are there different levels of quality on these saws?

John

Green fuel cap indicates a catalytic muffler. They run HOT. Not a smart thing on an air cooled engine. Try to avoid ethanol in your gas. Consider replacing it with non-cat muffler.

There's more hatred here for the MS 290 than a made in Taiwan Homelite. :laugh: My conclusion is some people like made in Taiwan Homelites. :laugh:

Latest posts

Back