Best little pro saw to have ported?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is all you need...<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9LbebS7nmes" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It doesn't sound like that is what he wants....

Yes less weight. Don't mind a top handle. Would be nice in the genie lift. Getting older and have lots of small stuff to get rid of. 346xp is great but heavy after cutting all day. Most tree people I know use the smallest saw the most. Less weight. Same here but my husky 142 is not ported.

Redmax g3800avs or gz4500

Shindaiwa 377

I have no experience with either of these because I have a Dolmar ps401, which would do nicely, but are hard to find. So is the Shinny.

Hmmm. I know Randy did a couple 241 cm's but you cant get those in the states. I wonder what a ported 024 AV would do? I don't believe in my two years on here I have seen one.

:msp_confused:

The 024 Stihls don't get much notice since they are almost identicle saw to an 026. More power and about the same weight... Cylinder and piston and stroke length are the only difference. An 024 super is the next bump up but it only has a 026 crank with longer stroke.

Redmax g3800avs or gz4500

Shindaiwa 377

I have no experience with either of these because I have a Dolmar ps401, which would do nicely, but are hard to find. So is the Shinny.

It's funny because I was just on the phone with samtip and told him to look for a 3800! They are super nice saws for a 14in limber. Hell even a 12in!!!! Hard to beat that saw. My 3800 was pretty competitive at the Iowa gtg considering I didn't port it, and I was running cheap semi chisel off the roll. I'm also a terrible race saw operator. There is a 0.4-0.5 lb difference between the 3800 and the 4500. The 4000 and 4500 are also strato charged saws. The 3800 is not strato and is 0.5 lb lighter...

It would be interesting to see what a 3800 or 4500 can do once ported...

Last edited:
The Stihl MS200T or MS201T would fit the bill quite nicely, but they're top handle saws...
I don't know of any respectable "porter" that will take either of those saws in for porting.

From the factory..they're pretty much "hot-rodded" close to max-out - porters charge ~ $250 and shipping both ways.

There's VERY little to be gained in performance...and they basically just won't screw someone over for the $$.

Brad can improve a 201T with carb work and muffler tweak...($50 and shipping) but far as I know...he won't port one.
:cheers:
J2F

Last edited:
Wow, that's a tough one. You're not going to have a lot of true pro-grade options the sub-40cc class. The Stihl MS200T or MS201T would fit the bill quite nicely, but they're top handle saws...

You can get rear handles.

So what say you Doug? Should I bring the 3800 over for you to play with???

This also gives you a perfect excuse to get a 25ft roll of 3/8 lo-pro ps3 from Stihl!!!!

maybe this will help:msp_biggrin::msp_biggrin::msp_biggrin:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Sr4oqOVyjfE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Latest posts

Back