Best little pro saw to have ported?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What was the result of Snelling's search for the perfect little saw?
I can remember him selling off the Redmax 3800 because I was kicking myself for not buying it, but what did he keep, was it a 242xp?

Edit: looks like 242 was over 10lb, only 1/2lb lighter than 346OE.
338XP might be good if it really weighs 7 1/2lb.

Last edited:
Echo 271T

Really impressive 6 lb saw. I modded muffler and it cuts just fine. Have video of it burried in 14" maple, will try to post tonight. Sending to have ported when I get 346 back.

I don't know of any respectable "porter" that will take either of those saws in for porting.

From the factory..they're pretty much "hot-rodded" close to max-out - porters charge ~ $250 and shipping both ways.

There's VERY little to be gained in performance...and they basically just won't screw someone over for the $$.

Brad can improve a 201T with carb work and muffler tweak...($50 and shipping) but far as I know...he won't port one.
:cheers:
J2F

I ain't respectable but I've done some 201s and 200Ts.......there's still good gains in those saws.

[video=youtube;9zf_Bzn33MM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zf_Bzn33MM[/video]

Last time I tested I got 40% gains out of a 201 without porting. They're just that much of a dog as they come from the factory. I've never tried porting one. They make a very fine hotrod saw without it.

You will get more power out of a small Redmax than any other saw that I know of. The 3800 was at the top of the heap. Then the Ryobi copy of the G400 took the crown. I've yet to port one, but i would expect a GZ4500 to be even better yet. It's the same package with even more cubes. Any of these will significantly outperform a 200 or 201.

The 42 special is a rocket right out of the box. I don't think there is alot to gain in those saws because they are hot rodded up from the factory.
Edit... I should say no gains from porting, but there's always a muffler mod :)
Loco

Last edited:
The 42 special is a rocket right out of the box. I don't think there is alot to gain in those saws because they are hot rodded up from the factory.
Loco

There all always gains from proper port work.

Here is all you need...<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9LbebS7nmes" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yea I love me some 420 Dolmar action!!! Unfortunatly they are heavier than the 3800 or 4500.

Lets talk weight which is where I believe Doug was headed... Light and powerful to take care of everything from 1in-10in is the smalls he usually has around.

ms170/ms180 = 8.6 lb-9.3lb. but even the ms180 is only 31.8cc

Dolmar 420/421 = 10.56/10.8 lbs for 42cc they are a pretty hot saw once ported (I ran Sara's TreeMonkey 420)

The Redmax 3800 is 9.1lb for 38cc and hot to run out of the gate with just a muffler mod. And you can find them around for 2-3bills. I had one and unfortunatly gave it to my neighbor. He sold his crapsman and 028WB... Kept the 3800...

I can't comment on the new 4000/4500 but I would assume the 4500 will be pretty hot for a 9.5lb saw...

Anyone got any more models to throw in???

Loco

'There all always gains from proper port work' - The Monkey

42 Special, completely stock, in some of the gummiest, gunkiest cherry you ever saw, then very mildly ported - with no upper transfer work other than simply bringing the timing back after lowering the cylinder. This is in the exact same stump in both parts of the vid.

[video=youtube;HhwqeIv1lHA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhwqeIv1lHA[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:
'There all always gains from proper port work' - The Monkey

42 Special, completely stock, in some of the gummiest, gunkiest cherry you ever saw, then very mildly ported - with no upper transfer work other than simply bringing the timing back after lowering the cylinder. This is in the exact same stump in both parts of the vid.
The 42Special isn't exactly easy to find in really good used shape. Since I know Samtip/Doug... He'll want something really really freakin clean or a new saw... Just a thought but add whatever saw you want b/c I wouldn't mind seeing the options too!

I'll bump my weights forward and add the saws as they get suggested to keep a complete list... If someone has actully weighed their saw or has a engine size correction please go ahead and correct them.

husky 242 =10+ lbs
42special = 10lb - 42cc
170/ms180 = 8.6/9.3 lb - 30.1-31.8cc
Dolmar 420/421 = 10.56/10.8 lbs - 42cc
Redmax 3800 = 9.1lb - 38cc

Last edited:
My cut off was 9.5#. If it's heavier than that, I figure that I might as well grab the 346. I swore off the 180 after experiencing it's weak construction too many times. Yes, I understand that it serves it's purpose, but it does not meet my criteria for a saw that I'd want to own.

Last edited:
My cut off was 9.5#. If it's heavier than that, I figure that I might as well grab the 346.

yeah I think the 4500 redmax is like 9.6lb. Which, I don't know why since it's the same chassis as the 3800. Maybe it's the Strato that adds the weight?? Maybe You could cut a couple tenths off the weight if the muffler has some baffles in it..?

Maybe I need to buy one just to play with and port... :confused:

Also to add another Dolly into the mix... The 401/390 Dolmar/Makita are pretty nice. They aren't going to keep up with the redmax options I don't think but they are also 40cc and 8.6lbs... Loose another pound and a little power. I like my little 401 that I opened the transfers on and opened the exhaust on. they are light and very easy to balance. The only problem is they make their best torque around 6500rpm stock...

husky 242 =10+ lbs
42special = 10lb - 42cc
170/ms180 = 8.6/9.3 lb - 30.1-31.8cc
Dolmar 420/421 = 10.56/10.8 lbs - 42cc
Redmax 3800 = 9.1lb - 38cc
Dolmar/Makita 401/390 = 8.6 lbs - 39cc

Last edited:
I had Dolmar401 and Redmax3800 at the same time. I sold the Dolmar to a neighbor. The Redmax was better.
I now have two 3800's. One is for sale. It has never had gas in it. $250 plus shipping. That is what I paid for it.
Pardon the shameless plug.
I think most people who don't have this class saw are missing out. I use mine a lot.

Yes less weight. Don't mind a top handle. Would be nice in the genie lift. Getting older and have lots of small stuff to get rid of. 346xp is great but heavy after cutting all day. Most tree people I know use the smallest saw the most. Less weight. Same here but my husky 142 is not ported.

The smallest saw I really want to use is the 346xp - the 42/43cc saws are too close on weight for the loss in power, and the sub 40cc ones just too weak for anything but carefully tailored use.

Even though the Dolmar 401/411 is an "outdated" design from the 1980s, it may still be the best candidate for porting among the sub 40cc saws.

Back