Dolmar 6100 vs Echo 620p

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This thread made me chuckle... Glad to see more people arguing with Niko about Echos.. and glad (somewhat) to see that the site is still the same in that way.. All I have to do is search "echo" and almost every thread will involve Niko bashing on them in some way.
3 full seasons of firewood cutting and my 600P hasn't missed a beat..
Once uncle sam gets me my refund I'm getting the 620PW. Local dealer has one equipped with a 24" for $659.

I think I paid right about the same for the 600 at the time. It is the 2nd generation one with the aluminum handle.

That being said, I'm not brand blind...

I have 3 huskys now that will be ready to cut by late spring.

Plus the various old mag poulans wearing different colors.

Can't wait to see the comparison by fordf150 on weights, etc.

ETA: Much as I butt heads with Niko, If I ever had the chance to meet him, I'd shake his hand and buy him a beer..

I've not been impressed with them either, other than their smoothness. Stock for stock, they don't want nothing to do with a MS361....

Now the 550xp I ran a few weeks ago that randy built....that's a fun little saw.

i was impressed with the 2260 i had for awhile....power wise anyway. starting issues(4 or 5 pulls to start it if you shut it off and came back to it a couple minutes later), useless bucking spikes, and it seemed very smooth while i ran it but after i was done my hands started the tingling thing. i dont get that with my 6100. so to me the 6100 is a smoother saw.

To be honest I believe the 359 with the mm is the stronger of the 2 my 562 is completely stk we use these 2 the most out of the saws we have a 385xp, 576xp a homelite c72 and the 359 and 562. I prefer the 359 my partner always runs the 562. The 359 turned into a completely different saw when I drilled the muffler out to about 70% of the exhaust port. If it were a race and I were betting my money would be on the 359. I like the looks of the echo and the dolmar.

I've not been impressed with them either, other than their smoothness. Stock for stock, they don't want nothing to do with a MS361....

I think we have just become spoiled by good running saws. My stock 361 (was muffler modded and broke in) I had IMO would have ate the 562 I ran. I know all that mm and broke in means alot. Just saying though.

This thread made me chuckle... Glad to see more people arguing with Niko about Echos.. and glad (somewhat) to see that the site is still the same in that way.. All I have to do is search "echo" and almost every thread will involve Niko bashing on them in some way.
Once uncle sam gets me my refund I'm getting the 620PW. Local dealer has one equipped with a 24" for $659.

I think I paid right about the same for the 600 at the time. It is the 2nd generation one with the aluminum handle.

ETA: Much as I butt heads with Niko, If I ever had the chance to meet him, I'd shake his hand and buy him a beer..
Yeah me too i was getting tired.of course i would buy him a beer too as long as he didn't have a problem with Echigo Stout
images

:laughing:

I think we have just become spoiled by good running saws. My stock 361 (was muffler modded and broke in) I had IMO would have ate the 562 I ran. I know all that mm and broke in means alot. Just saying though.

To me, stock means a muffler mod though. I won the stock saw class with it at the missouri gtg. IIRC, there were some 562's in that mix....

Yes, it's good to see that Niko never changes, he hasn't mellowed any with age but he makes me laugh. I have not ran one of the new Echos but I have handled a few and they seem like decent saws. In the real word I'm not sure if a mag clutch cover holds up any better than a plastic one if you drop a tree on it. I guess I wouldn't be afraid to own one if the price was right.

No I left the 6100 in the truck. I haven't mastered the art of racing . You guys are to serious.:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Lol.

Better be practicing with that thing for this September....

I'm pretty sure we're moving the date up to the third weekend in September instead of the 4th, so the guys that were going to the Ft. Scott thing can still come.

I know I've said it before, I'm not really a 60cc guy. To me all the hyped up 60cc saws lacked the power band I wanted. This includes the 562xp, ms361. In fact the few exceptions, 6400, 359, ms362 and my CS590 run really strong. My MS362 felt pretty good, better than the 562 IMHO. But what do I know, they're all overweight useless POS.:dumb2:

To me Dolmar 6400's belong with Husky 365's, Jonsered 670's, Echo 680 and so on, whole other class of 64cc plus saws. Imo

My take on the 590/600/620 is that that feel very plasticky. I've never run, but I have fondled them many times and I just can't get past that fact. I think Echo has made big strides in the power department, and they may be very durable, but they lack the feel I like.

I've never tried a Dolmar. I have seen one in person and I think they are typically Dolmar. That is to say, well made. It did seem a little heavy but well laid out.

Try one (PS-6100) some time. You'll like it. Hearing good things about it, I picked one up at 166's GTG last April. Brand-new and adjusted quite rich on the top-end it was like a shaped-charge through knotty black locust. After maybe 12-15 hrs, it's still amazing, now that it 2-strokes cleanly under load. (H about 1 turn in.) The A/V is so good, you might think it has an electric motor. Cuts a LOT of wood on a 27 oz tank.

I run mine regularly with a (nominal) 24" bar. It devours oak/shagbark with that. Was tempted to go for a 28", but thought that would be pushing things for chain-oiling, so a 576XP awaits, with a 28".

Not a hiccup out of it yet. Did I fail to mention that its clutch cover is simply impossible to clog when noodling? Who gives owl crap that it's plastic vs metal die-casting?

After maybe a half-dozen tanks, I checked the compression: 225 psi, with a known-accurate gauge. That's probably one of their "speed-secrets" and partly why you'd better eat your Wheaties before cold-cranking it when temps are teens or below. (I'm hoping to get a better grip on that.)

Latest posts

Back