Great Stihl Tuner/Modder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bcorradi said:
Correct me if I'm wrong this is the synopsis i have gotten so far

1) You got a saw from Dan that you thought was fast until you compared it with a stock and a muffler ported saw.

2) You won a GTG competing with all the saws in the competion that were from the same builder.

3) You seen a 395 built by your builder beat a KD 066, but you didn't run timed cuts yourself to verify how the KD 066 faired against yours.

4) You own stock saws of the same models as you have modded from your builder and think the modded ones are faster.

5) You seen your 880 beat a KD 088 and KD 3120, but you didn't run the other KD saws and time the cuts to verify how fast they were if you were running them.

6) You won the last GTG running against saws built from the same builder so that tells me that maybe your better then the other operators at the GTG. If you were running the KD 088 against your 880 you possibly could have won?

1/ dans saw lost to a stock saw that had a muffler mod, the saw was never opened up i only modded the muffler.

2/ no there were other saw's there

3/i also ran the saw, the race was the verification.it was marky's saw with a fales chain on it. the 395 was my saw, ed ran it first , then i ran it.

4/ yes that is correct

5/ i ran the 880 the race was the verification. chris ran the 312o and he also competes so i'd have to say he is the better operator. john has been running his 088 for a while now. i just got my 880 that morning. when i competed with the saw that was the first time i cut with it.

6/ like i said not all saw's were from ed but most were. this is only the 2nd gtg i ever went to and i only practiced at russ's for about 30 cookies the night before under a light. could it have been skill or luck? we'll see down the road. did i just get a bad saw from dan? well the first jug and piston cooked afterabout 10 tanks of fuel, dan replaced the jug and piston and said i ran the saw with out oil. but all saw's are filled out of the same can's at work and all the other saw's are still running to this date.

Last edited:
Here's some personal experience related earlier comments posted in this thread. I've had three saws modified by Arborist site sponsers Dan and Dean. Dan modded a new Husky 346 and Jonsered 2071 for me while Dean modded a used 440 for my brother. I found Dean to be very conscientious and easy to work with while Dan was very helpful in addressing some serious problems with the 2071 I bought off ebay. All three saws run well. The 346 is the fastest small saw I know of and simply blows through smaller wood. The 440 is fast and seems to make more power by producing normal torque level at higher that stock rpm. However, the 2071 is the strongest and seems to produce higher torque at a high rpm and gradually trails off so that it is easy to keep the saw cutting in a sweet spot where it really moves through the wood. I plan to compare the 2071 with a good running Husky 394 in stock condition and expect it to be very close in 16 to 20" hardwood which would indicate over 30% power gain with the 2071.
Thats great. The problem is for every happy Dozer Dan customer there are two that got saws that didnt make the cut. Again, I am glad yours is working out for you.

I have a mufller mod on an 026 that outpeforms a 260 I had with a similar mod. I think some saws just run better than others. I sold the 260.

I have a 360 Pro with a muffler mod that runs like a champ. It runs so well, I have no interest in having anything else done to it. Same goes for the 026, I think when a saw does what you want it to do, then its a waste of money to keep working on it.

I have a 361 'woods saw' that was modified by Dave Neiger and have used it in comparison to the above two. It performs well. High compression and great in the cut. Dave stands behind what he does and I recommend him.

I did not have a timer when I made the comparisions; I had all three saws running at idle, and I would pick up one, then the other, cutting disks about 1" in thickness on the trunk of a downed Emory Oak. Sometimes I pushed them down into the cut to see if they would bog down and other times I just let them cut at their own speed with a lighter touch. I like all three saws and will be keeping them for a long long time. Logic says I should sell either the 360 Pro or the 361; but, I like them both so well, that I'll probably just run different length bars on them and keep them both.

Some day, I would like to run a 'woods saw' built by Dean, Simon and Ed.

Tom

bcorradi said:
6) You won the last GTG running against saws built from the same builder so that tells me that maybe your better then the other operators at the GTG. If you were running the KD 088 against your 880 you possibly could have won?

kf_tree said:
6/ like i said not all saw's were from ed but most were. this is only the 2nd gtg i ever went to and i only practiced at russ's for about 30 cookies the night before under a light. could it have been skill or luck? we'll see down the road. did i just get a bad saw from dan? well the first jug and piston cooked afterabout 10 tanks of fuel, dan replaced the jug and piston and said i ran the saw with out oil. but all saw's are filled out of the same can's at work and all the other saw's are still running to this date.

Ken is a very good operator in the cut, better than I am, but my switchovers are faster. Now that I will have an open class saw better suited than my 385 and Kenny and I both had a glimpse of what we are going to be up against, the next GTG should be interesting.

Russ

2071 and 394 Comparison

KF,

Here's a little more data for you on the Jonsered 2071 Dan modified. Running the modified 2071 today side by side with a strong running stock 394 in 16 to 20 inch red oak, the 2071 was a bit faster. For me, based on the advertized hp of the 394 this indicates the 2071 is putting out something over 7 hp or more that 35% over stock. I realize this is a crude comparrison but it's all I have to provide at this time. Sometime later I hope to make some timed cuts.

GAPULPER
I own one of Dan's power ported Jonsered 2171s. I have ran it side by side against a few stock 394s and 395s and I have won every time. My saw also won the 70-80cc class at one of Jokers shows. At that same show they ran a redmax 5000 that dan ported and it placed fifth in the 60-70cc class. Thats good because the 5000 is only a 50cc engine

I would make a post, but there are too many who can't respond.

:deadhorse:

Fred

I own one of Dan's power ported Jonsered 2171s. I have ran it side by side against a few stock 394s and 395s and I have won every time. My saw also won the 70-80cc class at one of Jokers shows. At that same show they ran a redmax 5000 that dan ported and it placed fifth in the 60-70cc class. Thats good because the 5000 is only a 50cc engine
Wade, I am glad you have had good luck with your Dan henry built saws. The problem is others Didnt have such good luck others yet had saws built buy Dan that where good and bad.
Personaly I didnt have good luck with Dan, but I am not saying someone else might have a better expiereance.

dd

I wasn't there, but from what I have found out from a couple of impartial people is that he built some of the fastest saws and then he also built pure junk. You might as well flip a coin as to what you were going to get. One person mentioned he was always trying to push the compression farther than he needed, the result was the occasional head smacker. Sound familiar?

Buck

Back