HotBlast 1557M

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sroberts44

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just started using my 1157M last night want to know if i should open the ash door damper at all or keep it closed also I am installing the Draft induction kit and want to know what bar I have to break off in the blower limit control to use a room themostat and when using the kit what do you set the load door damper at?

IMO...This is my second year burning my Clayton which is a simular furnace. I just installed the DIK on my furnace and made the mistake of breaking off the jumper on the limit switch, DONT DO IT...just wire it to instructions and you should be fine. I made the mistake of breaking the jumper...what a mess I had. It is going to be trial and error on your part as far as draft control, it depends on the wood you burn and how hot you want your house to be... I use the DIK to get a fire started and when it gets really cold outside. If its a mild day, I shut the power switch off on the Draft motor and crack the ash door damper a little, maybe an 1/8 inch or less and had have good suceess that way. I put a BURN thermometer in my black pipe to let me know burn temperature and adjust the manual draft accordingly. Hope this is some help...Good luck. Jumbo

Just started using my 1157M last night want to know if i should open the ash door damper at all or keep it closed also I am installing the Draft induction kit and want to know what bar I have to break off in the blower limit control to use a room themostat and when using the kit what do you set the load door damper at?

induced blower draft will eat armloads of wood like candy , id shut the leaky crap design door intake off completely and just use the spinner at the bottom to get things adjusted correctly

Yup. Keep that damper on the draft blower open and close the feed door damper. It will allow for oxygen to enter at the base of the baffle even when the forced fans not running. Then use the ashpan damper. I can't tell you how many times I set that stupid draft blower to a set temp, to wake to a cold house with it running. That draft kit is a waste of money as far as i'm concerned. Didn't do anything but kill burn times and eat wood.

Yes Sir, When I fill the fire box for the night, I shut the power switch to the draft blower off at that time or your right, it will be running in the morning with no "fire in the hole".....Ha

Also, one more thing I wanted to add in my first post was; Make sure you keep your ash tray as empty as possible, if its too full you wont get enough draft, I empty once a day or so....Trial and error...Merry Christmas all

Yup. Keep that damper on the draft blower open and close the feed door damper. It will allow for oxygen to enter at the base of the baffle even when the forced fans not running. Then use the ashpan damper. I can't tell you how many times I set that stupid draft blower to a set temp, to wake to a cold house with it running. That draft kit is a waste of money as far as i'm concerned. Didn't do anything but kill burn times and eat wood.

OK everyone thanks for all your help it looks like im headed in the right direction just one thing everything is already hooked up to the specs. So what do i do now remove the inducer blower or just leave it and turn the thermostat off?

You could keep it on, but set it to the bottom line temperature that your comfortable with. It will allow for extra air to leak into the firebox without it running which aids in better combustion.

Been using a 1557 since 2006. Feed door damper sucks, DIK useless installed one, works like crap and eats wood (pondering putting the plug back in, not used it since I installed it). I control my fire 100% from the ash door and I swear by it. Far better control, far better wood usage using this method.

Tes

cant control heat

The blowers run all day and the only damper I have open is the ash door one only about a half turn 18 degrees outside almost 80 inside dont know what to do next

You'll need to build smaller fires to help control the heat. Otherwise if you dampen down the furnace to burn it cooler, you will create alot of creasote. One of the problems with having something thats too big. Other than that sounds like it has no problems heating.

The blowers run all day and the only damper I have open is the ash door one only about a half turn 18 degrees outside almost 80 inside dont know what to do next

Basically you need to experiment, during the day I barely have a couple small logs in it, or two or three pieces of slab. Once the house is at temp the ash door damper gets closed to a quarter turn or less and I check it on every 2 - 3 hours, usually load it when the fuel is down to handful of coals left, rinse and repeat.

I can tell how much I need to open my ash door damper, by the temp outside, wind, wood i am burning (type and size) I can also determine if I need to open the ash damper more, by touching the duct work just above the furnace, feeling how warm front and back are, also hovering my hand over the metal above the feed door.

As for blowers constantly running, realize in my experience the hotblast is like this. There have been times, the blowers in my unit have ran non-stop for 5 - 6 hours, this includes me feeding the unit and the house staying around 72F. It depends on how big a fire you have, how old the house is, window etc multiple factors. A lot of people think if the blowers are always running, then the house is going to get ultra hot. I've stood there for 45 minutes with my hand on the duct work, with the temp of the air being pushed only varying a few degrees here and there and it cool enough that it keeps air flowing in the house, but the house at a constant temp.

There have also been times, with really hot fires that they've ran for a couple hours and the house has gotten to 85F because of it. You have to experiment, I recommend if you are home, build smaller fires, you'll tend it more, but you'll also have more control.

Tes

Thanks for the help I'm not inexperienced in wood burning been doing it all my life but this is not easy to get a handle on. How about at night how much wood do you put in to make it through the night, I cant build a small fire and still make it all night. I'm burning maple and white oak. Again I appreciate all the help.

I think everyone with the hotblast spends alot of time figuring it out. I'm on the second season with mine. Some days I feel like I have no clue. Right now I put a Barometric damper on it to slow the draft down. First week was amazing, second week it sucked. Yesterday I put it wide open and worked. Even at this point it's a guessing game. Ash pan open 2 turns. Plug out in the back, make sure the stove it cookin before you dampen it down. If there is too much coals in the am, add more air to the bottom. Just my thoughts

I think everyone with the hotblast spends alot of time figuring it out. I'm on the second season with mine. Some days I feel like I have no clue. Right now I put a Barometric damper on it to slow the draft down. First week was amazing, second week it sucked. Yesterday I put it wide open and worked. Even at this point it's a guessing game. Ash pan open 2 turns. Plug out in the back, make sure the stove it cookin before you dampen it down. If there is too much coals in the am, add more air to the bottom. Just my thoughts

Racerboy is right, Hotblasts are special dames that like to be treated a certain way and I swear that each is different.

Lastnight to get an 11hr burn, I layered the bottom with oak slab, I then placed small small logs on top of that, then another layer of bigger logs, I built it up like a pyramid.

Other days, I have just filled her up with slab wood top to just below feed door and went to bed, woken up to a few coals to throw a little more slab in with feed door cracked, got hot fire going and cranked it down.

Tes

I have a fire chief wood / coal furnace and i have a blower on it that i use only to get a fire started or restart one from hot coals....i usually have the ash door dial 1/4 to 1/2 turn....the control on the blower usually is about 1/4 open, the air goes thru a system of per say duct work that takes the air all around the wood, a nice even burn....i have a on and off switch for the blower...Works great for me. Merry Christmas to all...:)

Trial & Error

I have one these gems.Not new to burning wood as I have burned wood all my life.I did a little remodel to my furnace. There's to much heat loss around the stove.Found some funace insulation in old furnace, so I took the 2 sides & the top off & insulated them Next I took the blower from old furnace & mounted it to hotblast. The last thing I did was to remove the induction motor from back & mounted it in the ash door. Its a waste time to blow air over a fire.Put it under a fire like a blacksmith forge.I get longer burn time better burn, & move more air with bigger blower Plus it keeps heat in the stove where it belongs. IT stays 74-78, 24-7.Also I think a barometric damper is must for these stoves. Happy burning!!

Cant get this thing to work correctly don't have the proper duct work setup gave up furnace for sale on Graig's list

Right to much heat and long horizon line of duct work fans running 24/7 what i saved in oil i wasted in electricity

Latest posts

Back