Husqvarna Signs Intent to buy RedMax

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the Cincinnati area as of a couple days ago Stihl dealers carried RedMax products, I always thought it was ballzy to set there blowers on a shelf next to a competitor the quality of RedMax.

Jeff

stckciv said:
No you do not have to be.

This is what you need to buy to be a "Total Source" dealer:
Product Minimum Requirements: (Invoiced Shipments/No Back Orders)

25 Saws/ Cut Off Saws
20 Blowers/ Trimmers/ Pole Saws/ Bruschcutters/ Mini-Cultivators/ Edgers/ CT20 Tiller/ Nova Cut
10 Walks/ Snow Blowers/ Tillers/ HVT Trimmer/ LE 389
6 Tractors/ ZTR/ Specialty Turf/ HUV/ CZ/ EZ
2 Pressure Washers/ Generators

And this is what they offer if you buy everything:
FREE Direct Mail, Dealer Tagged Mini Catalogs (Spring & Fall 2007)
FREE TV Spots*
FREE Retail Financing Promotions (No cost to dealer)
FREE Spring and Fall Deluxe P.O.P. Kits
FREE listing on Husqvarna.com and 1-800-HUSKY 62

Thing is they used to offer P.O.P. kits, put you on the net, financing promotions to everyone. They used to support the dealer and help you sell their product, now you have to buy the crappy mowers to get a simple listng on the net.

That would suck if my store (mere employee only) was a Husky dealer.. (we're not). We sell over 600 saws,trimmers, blowers etc a year, but have ZERO demand for mowers, tractors etc, and absolutely NO space for them...

Lakeside53 said:
That would suck if my store (mere employee only) was a Husky dealer.. (we're not). We sell over 600 saws,trimmers, blowers etc a year, but have ZERO demand for mowers, tractors etc, and absolutely NO space for them...

Last I heard Stihl (I should say the distributor) has made all Stihl dealers in the area buy new racks to hold the equipment which cost about $10k and if you want the best deal you cant sell anything that will compete with any Stihl product. Trimmers, mini tiller, etc.

We dropped Stihl a few years back because the distributor said we had to sell more of the crap Stihl saws. We sold the good ones, but I will not lie to a customer and say a saw is good when it is not. Once they said we hade to pick up sales on those certain models we threw them out. We had about 100 Stihl saws in stock when we did, guess it didnt matter to them.

Next stop - Dolmar :)

We dont have room for that stuff either, except for push mowers, I dont know what to do. I wish it was the same way as it was 15-20 years ago. It seemed to be more fun and they seemed to care about the dealer, now I dont think they do!

stckciv said:
No you do not have to be.

This is what you need to buy to be a "Total Source" dealer:
Product Minimum Requirements: (Invoiced Shipments/No Back Orders)

25 Saws/ Cut Off Saws
20 Blowers/ Trimmers/ Pole Saws/ Bruschcutters/ Mini-Cultivators/ Edgers/ CT20 Tiller/ Nova Cut
10 Walks/ Snow Blowers/ Tillers/ HVT Trimmer/ LE 389
6 Tractors/ ZTR/ Specialty Turf/ HUV/ CZ/ EZ
2 Pressure Washers/ Generators

And this is what they offer if you buy everything:
FREE Direct Mail, Dealer Tagged Mini Catalogs (Spring & Fall 2007)
FREE TV Spots*
FREE Retail Financing Promotions (No cost to dealer)
FREE Spring and Fall Deluxe P.O.P. Kits
FREE listing on Husqvarna.com and 1-800-HUSKY 62

Thing is they used to offer P.O.P. kits, put you on the net, financing promotions to everyone. They used to support the dealer and help you sell their product, now you have to buy the crappy mowers to get a simple listng on the net.

So can pick what you want to sell. Do they have options for you
What if you just wanted to sell there 2 cycle stuff? ?

My local Stihl dealer sells both brands also, redmax and stihl, don't know if they will if husky does buy redmax tho'. I don't know if it is a good thing or not if husky buys redmax. If you look at history anytime a company starts buying out the competition especially once they get to a certain size their product usually sucks. Husky will rape redmax of its technology and then put it on the shelf with poulan while trying to cheapen its flagship product to pay for the purchase of redmax which isn't selling like it used to because it sucks now. Only time will tell.:cheers: To many acquisitiions are never good for the consumer 99% of the time.

I've never seen a Redmax saw ... maybe not avail in Australia.

I think it's time Stihl bought Husky and cleaned this whole mess up. :chainsaw:

manual said:
So can pick what you want to sell. Do they have options for you
What if you just wanted to sell there 2 cycle stuff? ?

You can sell just the 2-cycle, like we do, you just dont get as good of discount nor any help from Husky(name on the net or by phone to potential buyers)

stckciv said:
Last I heard Stihl (I should say the distributor) has made all Stihl dealers in the area buy new racks to hold the equipment which cost about $10k and if you want the best deal you cant sell anything that will compete with any Stihl product. Trimmers, mini tiller, etc.

We dropped Stihl a few years back because the distributor said we had to sell more of the crap Stihl saws. We sold the good ones, but I will not lie to a customer and say a saw is good when it is not. Once they said we hade to pick up sales on those certain models we threw them out. We had about 100 Stihl saws in stock when we did, guess it didnt matter to them.

Next stop - Dolmar :)

We dont have room for that stuff either, except for push mowers, I dont know what to do. I wish it was the same way as it was 15-20 years ago. It seemed to be more fun and they seemed to care about the dealer, now I dont think they do!

A rack that cost 10 grand, LOL, right. Let me get my boots on,LOL

A dealer in the area that I talk to had to do this. He does have about 12 different racks in the store, but I wouldnt think it should add up to $10k. Last I knew they were about $500 a piece, which is far from the price he quoted me. I dont know for sure since the Stihl guy no longer comes in.

stckciv said:
A dealer in the area that I talk to had to do this. He does have about 12 different racks in the store, but I wouldnt think it should add up to $10k. Last I knew they were about $500 a piece, which is far from the price he quoted me. I dont know for sure since the Stihl guy no longer comes in.

Well thats odd for we're looking at getting the Concept 2 design from Stihl, the racks you are referring to, and they are no where near 10 grand and just so ya know we were quoted 8500 less than 10 grand. Also Stihl comes in and sets them up and pays half for the racks themselves so that totals 3 grand,half paid by Stihl leaving us 15 hundred.

Stihl would like all dealers to upgrade to the newer rack system (corporate marketing and image), but its not a concrete requirement.. Last figures I heard was that only about 60% in the North west region have upgraded but it is increasing ech year. We're a CSS and don't have the racks - no room right now anyhow! Last quote we had was about $5k for the entire store - maybe 4 bays?

Also, that's the first I heard that a Stihl dealer had to carry any particular item... few carry the entire product range in stock.

THALL10326 said:
Well thats odd for we're looking at getting the Concept 2 design from Stihl, the racks you are referring to, and they are no where near 10 grand and just so ya know we were quoted 8500 less than 10 grand. Also Stihl comes in and sets them up and pays half for the racks themselves so that totals 3 grand,half paid by Stihl leaving us 15 hundred.

That is interesting. Dont know why he lied about it, maybe he want to make them look bad to us so we wont pick them back up.

Thanks for the info.

stckciv said:
That is interesting. Dont know why he lied about it, maybe he want to make them look bad to us so we wont pick them back up.

Thanks for the info.

Well I don't know either but we're in the process right now about using the Concept 2 design and the info I gave you is what was told to us..

manual said:
So lets say for a mom pop operation to open a store what would the minimum requirements be?

Where I work now Manual the first set up was a grand total of 13 grand worth of inventory that we decided on. We could have went less but we started off with what we knew we could move..

Andyshine77 said:
I haven't seen any RedMax products in the Stihl dealers I deal with.

I should have said that the Stihl dealer I deal with carries RedMax , WestChester Law&Garden on the east side of town.

When I asked about parts support he told me that "several" Stihl dealers in the Cincinnati area carried blowers and replacement parts for the RedMax line.

I can tell you that Stihl up the road from me (Klei Mower) doesn't carry them.

JH

Agree with Andshine77

Dewar Equipment Company, on the west side of Cincinnati, gets a thumbs-up from me. Don Dewar Jr. is a small engine guru. (He is also a Stihl dealer). I have learned a lot from Don and from the members of AS. Thank you.:cheers:

Latest posts

Back