i might be doing a bone head move here so flame me

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been using Lucas for awhile at 32:1. No smell or carbon build up. Cheap price to.

i had always run the echo power blend at 45:1 and never had a failure,,,, i am going to run this at 40:1 by using 3 ounces per gallon,,, figure i cant go wrong with that and even with that i will still be ahead cost wise,,, glad to see a lot of people using it with no issues

What's the logic of heavier doses of oil with the *better* oil? Figured I'd ask, since my stash of MX2T will run out eventually (run at 43:1), and I do like that Klotz smell...

Belray and Maxima are designed to be used at 32:1 in engines under 125cc.

Klotz STP is the nastiest oil I've ever used. No way I'll ever put that stuff in my saws again.

The only time I almost scored a piston was a rare time I was using 50:1. Never again. Add to that, that it's a known fact that the 372, 385, 390 need more oil for the crank bearings.

Any conjecture as to why that's so? Given that those bearings are anti-friction (ball) bearings and the only rubbing in the area is spacers on balls. What is the typical failure mode with those bearings?

i had always run the echo power blend at 45:1 and never had a failure,,,, i am going to run this at 40:1 by using 3 ounces per gallon,,, figure i cant go wrong with that and even with that i will still be ahead cost wise,,, glad to see a lot of people using it with no issues

3.2 oz to one gallon of gas would be 40:1
I have gone to 3.5 oz per gallon puts me at 36:1

I think the bigger problem is rod bearings. I only know what I've seen reported by the likes of Jacob J.

Not just JJ.......I've seen lots of killed 372, 385, and 390 cranks. Spot on though......it's the rod bearing that dies first.

I've even seen a 088 crank that had the rod bearing melted, and oozing out of the rod.

That saw was running on 80:1 though.

I don't understand what bore size has to due with anything. Oil ratio should be based on quality of oil, piston speed, compression, load, temps etc. Isn't Stihl synth oil rated JASO FD? That's a pretty high rating. People have been running 50:1 in saws for years with no problems. If you want a little more insurance or increase the performance of a saw, I agree you should increase the oil to compensate. I don't understand why anyone would run an expensive oil if you have to use 50% more oil. Klotz, Belray & Maxima are not cheap oils. Or am I wrong in thinking that running Stihl oil in a stock Stihl saw at 50:1 like Stihl recommends will provide years of trouble free use.

Back