If you were to buy a 14" chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RunNGun17

RunNGun17

ArboristSite Lurker
I currently own a Stihl 290 with a 20" bar. Bought it used two years ago and has worked without a hitch since. I would like to add a smaller saw to the arsenal but I am def. a newbie to the saw industry. I would like a smaller saw to cut smaller stuff and then move to the 290 once I reach the big stuff. Would you go with a 14" or a 16"?

I know I will stir the pot with this one too, but would you spend the money or a Stihl or go with something a bit cheaper?

Thanks guys.

MS460WOODCHUCK

MS460WOODCHUCK

Addicted to ArboristSite
Cheaper the better when it comes to a 14'' limbing saw. I like the little poulans myself, the pre EPA ones of course. 1950,2075,2050,2075 to name a few.

OK, I'm ready for my bashin guys!

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
Oh help....:msp_rolleyes:

....but if you stay with Stihl homeowner saws, the MS211 with a 14" bar sounds like the best option.

...and get a shorter bar for that 290, a 20" really is too much!

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
d mostly use the

Btw, what I really want as a limbing saw is a 50cc 346xp, and that one would make your 290 a back-up saw as well - but people are different! :msp_smile:

I could never see the point of a really weak or small saw as a limbing saw, and mostly use the 346xp or the MS361 for that purpose, both with 15-16" bars. In my world, limbing should happen fast, not slow.

RunNGun17

RunNGun17

ArboristSite Lurker
Yeah I've been told before that the 20" bar is too much, its how I bought it and its how I left it.

I think if I would drop to an 18" bar the thoughts of the smaller saw would go away and I would be happy. Plus its cheaper!

Thanks guys for the recommendations.

Wood Doctor
Here's Two

I currently own a Stihl 290 with a 20" bar. Bought it used two years ago and has worked without a hitch since. I would like to add a smaller saw to the arsenal but I am def. a newbie to the saw industry. I would like a smaller saw to cut smaller stuff and then move to the 290 once I reach the big stuff. Would you go with a 14" or a 16"?

I know I will stir the pot with this one too, but would you spend the money or a Stihl or go with something a bit cheaper?

Thanks guys.
I have two saws that do exactly what you want to do: Stihl 010 AV and an Echo 3900. Both perform flawlessly and can pull a 16" chain. The little Stihl currently has a 14" chain on board and the Echo has a 16" chain. I like both of them and cut a bunch of wood with them.

alderman

alderman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Btw, what I really want as a limbing saw is a 50cc 346xp, and that one would make your 290 a back-up saw as well - but people are different! :msp_smile:

I could never see the point of a really weak or small saw as a limbing saw, and mostly use the 346xp or the MS361 for that purpose, both with 15-16" bars. In my world, limbing should happen fast, not slow.

In my world the limbing goes slower with a 16" bar than it will with something with some reach.

tallguys

tallguys

Addicted to ArboristSite
Would you go with a 14" or a 16"?

Thanks guys.

For limbing I'd pick the 14" though it doesn't make that much of a difference if you're just cutting average size branches. You didn't mention a budget so if you can justify spending more, go ahead and do so. Lots of good used deals out there as well if you're prepared to wait.

o8f150

o8f150

Tree Freak
when i had an echo i was running a 14" bar on the 370,, it was a little screamer,,, then i wised up and went to stihls,,, now i have the 260 pro with a 16" bar,, makes fast work on limbs

MS460WOODCHUCK

MS460WOODCHUCK

Addicted to ArboristSite

In my world life has alot to do with how fast a guy can move not just the tool and I am one fast SOB at anything I do if I feel like being one.:rock: Some people have no idea...

zogger

zogger

Tree Freak
Limbs

Depends on the trees you are getting. A lot of the big hardwoods here have a ton of really good firewood in the limbs. It is worth it milking it out and for that, a small light saw shines. Does the job, uses fuel and bar oil sparingly, plus leaves much less mess on the ground. I take everything I can get from a big tree, what is left over is plenty small enough I have no problems running over it with the field mower next time I mow that area. Plus, my stacks get bigger with no intervening splitting step required with all that smaller wood, another plus.

No need to use a larger saw and more expensive saw for all that smaller stuff, in fact it would be counterproductive.

Latest posts