If you were to buy a 14" chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RunNGun17

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I currently own a Stihl 290 with a 20" bar. Bought it used two years ago and has worked without a hitch since. I would like to add a smaller saw to the arsenal but I am def. a newbie to the saw industry. I would like a smaller saw to cut smaller stuff and then move to the 290 once I reach the big stuff. Would you go with a 14" or a 16"?

I know I will stir the pot with this one too, but would you spend the money or a Stihl or go with something a bit cheaper?

Thanks guys.

Cheaper the better when it comes to a 14'' limbing saw. I like the little poulans myself, the pre EPA ones of course. 1950,2075,2050,2075 to name a few.

OK, I'm ready for my bashin guys!

Oh help....:msp_rolleyes:

....but if you stay with Stihl homeowner saws, the MS211 with a 14" bar sounds like the best option.

...and get a shorter bar for that 290, a 20" really is too much!

d mostly use the

Btw, what I really want as a limbing saw is a 50cc 346xp, and that one would make your 290 a back-up saw as well - but people are different! :msp_smile:

I could never see the point of a really weak or small saw as a limbing saw, and mostly use the 346xp or the MS361 for that purpose, both with 15-16" bars. In my world, limbing should happen fast, not slow.

Yeah I've been told before that the 20" bar is too much, its how I bought it and its how I left it.

I think if I would drop to an 18" bar the thoughts of the smaller saw would go away and I would be happy. Plus its cheaper!

Thanks guys for the recommendations.

Here's Two

I currently own a Stihl 290 with a 20" bar. Bought it used two years ago and has worked without a hitch since. I would like to add a smaller saw to the arsenal but I am def. a newbie to the saw industry. I would like a smaller saw to cut smaller stuff and then move to the 290 once I reach the big stuff. Would you go with a 14" or a 16"?

I know I will stir the pot with this one too, but would you spend the money or a Stihl or go with something a bit cheaper?

Thanks guys.
I have two saws that do exactly what you want to do: Stihl 010 AV and an Echo 3900. Both perform flawlessly and can pull a 16" chain. The little Stihl currently has a 14" chain on board and the Echo has a 16" chain. I like both of them and cut a bunch of wood with them.

Btw, what I really want as a limbing saw is a 50cc 346xp, and that one would make your 290 a back-up saw as well - but people are different! :msp_smile:

I could never see the point of a really weak or small saw as a limbing saw, and mostly use the 346xp or the MS361 for that purpose, both with 15-16" bars. In my world, limbing should happen fast, not slow.

In my world the limbing goes slower with a 16" bar than it will with something with some reach.

Would you go with a 14" or a 16"?

Thanks guys.

For limbing I'd pick the 14" though it doesn't make that much of a difference if you're just cutting average size branches. You didn't mention a budget so if you can justify spending more, go ahead and do so. Lots of good used deals out there as well if you're prepared to wait.

when i had an echo i was running a 14" bar on the 370,, it was a little screamer,,, then i wised up and went to stihls,,, now i have the 260 pro with a 16" bar,, makes fast work on limbs

In my world life has alot to do with how fast a guy can move not just the tool and I am one fast SOB at anything I do if I feel like being one.:rock: Some people have no idea...

I have a 16" bar on my MS290, and it works pretty well for limbing or anything else that I need to do. I find a 20 a little long for limbing work, but it all depends on what you're used to.

Limbs

Depends on the trees you are getting. A lot of the big hardwoods here have a ton of really good firewood in the limbs. It is worth it milking it out and for that, a small light saw shines. Does the job, uses fuel and bar oil sparingly, plus leaves much less mess on the ground. I take everything I can get from a big tree, what is left over is plenty small enough I have no problems running over it with the field mower next time I mow that area. Plus, my stacks get bigger with no intervening splitting step required with all that smaller wood, another plus.

No need to use a larger saw and more expensive saw for all that smaller stuff, in fact it would be counterproductive.

Latest posts

Back