kickback ouchie (CAUTION GORE)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A pair of jeans or long pants won't stop a chainsaw :cheers:

I cut in shorts a lot, with chaps and steel toed boots of course. In summer where I am we regularly see over 110°f so long pants and chaps can get a tad warm sometimes. That coupled with a hot chainsaw and hard work makes ya sweat a tad :)

+1 . . . from about Dec to March I'm usually cutting in short pants, chaps and boots. An overheated operator just adds to fatigue which is critical to safe operation.

Last edited:
so all these old school loggers and pro loggers you see/hear about with scars on them from saws, what was their excuse? just idiots with no "sence"?

sometimes mortal men make mistakes, in your case, you need not worry about such things :D

accidents happen, a pair of $80 chaps is better than a missing leg.. like i said though, this only applies to us mortals :)

Either tired, or drunk. . . possibly stupid . . .

The last few loggers that I have herd about,(injuries) where old timers that where flattened and or beaten by their tumbling skidders...

I know a few immitations that have been broken up by wood, but they are just morans, not worthey of noting. . .

I wish I was as bad ass as you portray me to be. . .

Last edited by a moderator:
I finally quit pretending it could never happen to me, and ordered some chaps. I took a chunk out of my kneecap a couple years ago, I barely bumped my leg coming off a cut and the cutter went through my jeans like butter. Getting older and wiser. Probably older faster than wiser but I'm a lot less reckless than I was 10 years ago.

My father tripped and fell with the chainsaw running and ended up with 28 stiches in his leg,We wraped his leg with shirts and I did like 100mph to the hospital.He siad chaps were a pain in the a$$ to wear,he never used a chain saw again after that. Chaps are a must wear!

A pair of jeans or long pants won't stop a chainsaw :cheers:

I cut in shorts a lot, with chaps and steel toed boots of course. In summer where I am we regularly see over 110°f so long pants and chaps can get a tad warm sometimes. That coupled with a hot chainsaw and hard work makes ya sweat a tad :)

It must be just a difference in work we are doing. For me shorts would never work, I am used to being soaked to the bone with sweat all summer long. I'd just much rather take that than scrapes and bumps all over my legs. :cheers:

so all these old school loggers and pro loggers you see/hear about with scars on them from saws, what was their excuse? just idiots with no "sence"?

sometimes mortal men make mistakes, in your case, you need not worry about such things :D

accidents happen, a pair of $80 chaps is better than a missing leg.. like i said though, this only applies to us mortals :)

It's all about statistics. If you sit on a couch all day there is a fair chance you won't cut your leg off with a chainsaw. The more you use one, no matter how good you think you are, the more your chance of a chainsaw related injury goes up. This isn't having a go at people's choices of PPE or lack thereof, it's just cold hard statistics.

I wish I was as bad ass as you portray me to be. . .

Come on kid you are one bad ass and you know it :D

It must be just a difference in work we are doing. For me shorts would never work, I am used to being soaked to the bone with sweat all summer long. I'd just much rather take that than scrapes and bumps all over my legs. :cheers:

Actually in some cases you are correct, I do wear long pants in some conditions to stop scratching the hell out of my legs so yeah, mainly shorts (90-95%) with the occasional long pants :cheers:
I have a massive scar on my right calf where I was consistantly hooking dead branches with my left boot and driving them into my right calf, over and over again before the previous damage had healed. Wrap around chaps solved that though.

cutting my leg didnt stop me from using a chainsaw like i said i went back out and finished the job but is definatly a lesson in chaps are the way to go no matter how annoying they are. but anyway its healing up pretty well changing the dressing once every morning and sleep with it uncovered to dry out hopefully wont scar to bad but its part of life. anyone who hasnt cut them selves there is always a chance you will just wait and hopefully your ppe prevents it

Yep, Matt's the real bad arse here :laugh:

Only after a dodgey curry Rick ;)

Matt's saws are real bad arse, I had a play with them last weekend, he was giving me a few tips on tree felling, I'm still waiting for the video, Matt have you found that video camera lead yet? :D

Hi Wayne.
Mate I'm pulling my darn hair out. I can't find any cords to fit for the life of me and they are the standard Nokia mini USB type. I've had 3 of them!!!
Off interstate for the next few days for the national Almond Conference so won't be able to get onto it till the weekend at least. I might try to transfer files from the HDD to an SD card tonight, that may work but the files may be too big for my biggest 2GB card.
Hey had a ball too mate, will do it again and thanks for coming up.
Your old Solo was the real bad ass of the day. An absolute noodle monster even though somebody accidentally hit pause as I was busy making the world's biggest noodle pile with it :cheers:

Your old Solo was the real bad ass of the day. An absolute noodle monster even though somebody accidentally hit pause as I was busy making the world's biggest noodle pile with it..

:blush: No problem, I'll bring the old Solo along with a few more saws next time & you can have another crack at the world's biggest noodle pile.
Just to make sure I'll have 2 video cameras running :cheers:

What a waste, here I thought this thread was about GLOBAL WARMING and Al.

And all I got was some dweeb showing stained leg. :rockn:

Rule #1: First Aid kit = roll of duct tape and HD Kotex.

Gory! Say doesn’t the coriolis effect make the blood run up?

The coriolis effect only makes the blood run due south if you are in the northern hemisphere.
As the earth rotates the speed is greatest at the equator 1000miles/hr and 0 at each pole. The acceleration is therefore south in the north.

How many consider the Coriolis force when felling???

hope you heal up fast,,but that does need stitches

Needed stitches. Too late now.

Lucky if you don't have a serious infection. good wound care early is important.

Glad to see you are relativly OK. Get some good chaps!!

:greenchainsaw:

Back