Lurker buying a saw needing advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice that a GTG is near you. I would strongly suggest you hold off on buying a saw before that meeting. Take your cash with you and some gourmet doughnuts and you might walk away with a very nice saw. Stranger things has happened.

That's what I am going for. I really would love to have a pro grade, but they are few and far between. I almost had myself talked into a 357 years back but couldn't swing the cash. I saw this for sale and figured its pretty close to the same and at a decent price. I do think that I will be only offering $300 for it in the end though, kind of where I had my mind set on it when I saw it. But, if I am able to do all the above checks, and it comes out ok then I cannot see how $25 would be something to squabble about.
I dont know that I would offer 300. Probably offer 250 and not go much higher. Just bought a used 357xp for 325 and for a little more you might find a 372xp. Good luck

Nice that a GTG is near you. I would strongly suggest you hold off on buying a saw before that meeting. Take your cash with you and some gourmet doughnuts and you might walk away with a very nice saw. Stranger things has happened.

I just might do that. I really am itching for one though. But maybe I'll just say that if I can't get X saw for X price then I'm holding off. I am going to go look at it tomorrow, leave the cash at home, and then report back.

I dont know that I would offer 300. Probably offer 250 and not go much higher. Just bought a used 357xp for 325 and for a little more you might find a 372xp. Good luck

I would, but I hate low ballers myself. When I put a price on it, whether it is too high for some, then that's my price for said object. I try to treat others the same way. But at the same time I understand that some start with a high price because they know others will try to talk them down. I would just rather people put their bottom dollar on something than to deal with haggling.

If my research is correct, the 359 is not to distant a cousin to the 357. That's kind of why it caught my eye.

I would, but I hate low ballers myself. When I put a price on it, whether it is too high for some, then that's my price for said object. I try to treat others the same way. But at the same time I understand that some start with a high price because they know others will try to talk them down. I would just rather people put their bottom dollar on something than to deal with haggling.

If my research is correct, the 359 is not to distant a cousin to the 357. That's kind of why it caught my eye.
I really dont think 250-275 is low balling him, but thats just me. It depends on how bad you want it I guess.

I really dont think 250-275 is low balling him, but thats just me. It depends on how bad you want it I guess.
Don't take that the wrong way just in case you did. I can see how it might sound negative.

I guess I just assumed that $300 is a fair price if everything checks out. It's right at half of what one is new, well almost. I think you can get one for $560 at baileys if I remember right. So I guess $275 wouldn't be bad.

Nothing wrong with the 359 at all.muffler mod and a base gasket removal and it is one wild saw.if you want a new saw for a little more with the same displacement look at the Echo cs590.you can find those for $400 or less.

Nothing wrong with the 359 at all.muffler mod and a base gasket removal and it is one wild saw.if you want a new saw for a little more with the same displacement look at the Echo cs590.you can find those for $400 or less.
I would love a new saw. Have not thought about echo. Have thought about jonsered though. And of course stihl. But husky has always been at the top for some reason. Just figured if I'm gonna spend some money might as well be them.

Can't go wrong with the echo.again they are choked to death just like the 359 epa along with other saws made the past few years.unchoked they run right up there with the rest.

You've peeked my interest. Any others who can chime in on this?

I want to get a saw that's gonna last the long haul. One that makes me grin at the end if the day. One that almost begs to get forded up again after I'm too tired to press on.

I want a work horse. Not a speed demon. I'll do more round cutting than limbing.

Not sure of echos rep , but I'll research them tomorrow.

I should add that while I'm not a mechanic by trade, I do all of my own stuff and know my way around engines quite well.

I may not know the details, but know how to work on them as long as I have some idea of how they are designed to work.

If that makes sense.

So I just did a quick look. Seems they don't have the chain/bar selection that husky does.

What pitch/guage do they run on the timber wolf?

Of the two saws you mentioned, (359 and MS260 Pro), both would be good options. However, I think they are both overpriced unless they were in pristine condition. Both of those should be able to be acquired for $300 or less.

One poster mentioned attending the GTG being held in the vicinity. That would really be a great idea and allow you to actually cut with different models of saws. You may leave with different opinions than when you came. Bring your cash and you may leave with a saw, they're usually available at those events.

Don't be in a rush to get something if you don't have a current crisis (like a tree down across your driveway) Do some more reading on this site and try to find someone that has saws you can cut with. Another thing that is helpful is to realistically assess what you will be cutting and acquire a saw appropriate to that task. (buy a saw for what you will be cutting most often, not what you "might" cut on rare occasions.

There have been lots of posts in the past on how to assess a used saw. Searching may turn those up.

I have a 359 that I did a muffler mod and pulled the base gasket, and a ported MS261. The 359 is definitely feels stronger to me. The cat mufflers are easy to mod, too.

[QUOTE="HuskStihl, post: 49785012"mountainlake and Jughead knows that echo's have huge donkey balls.

:D[/QUOTE]
There fixed. Lol as you can see echos dont have a big following here yet.
To tell you the truth i logged and stumped with my cs600 all winter last winter.

The echo will be just as reliable as the husky or Stihl.the timber wolf comes with a 3/8" 70 drive link chain.I just run Stihl rsc chain on mine.its the same pitch and drive link as my McCulloch pm700 and actually the same as my husky 55 running a 20" Oregon.I'm running a GB 16" arbor pro on the cs600 now.its wicked with a 16 on it.Hey was cheap too.
http://leftcoastsupplies.com/product/bar-chain-combo-ex16-50mg/

Latest posts

Back