Lurker buying a saw needing advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Of the two saws you mentioned, (359 and MS260 Pro), both would be good options. However, I think they are both overpriced unless they were in pristine condition. Both of those should be able to be acquired for $300 or less.

One poster mentioned attending the GTG being held in the vicinity. That would really be a great idea and allow you to actually cut with different models of saws. You may leave with different opinions than when you came. Bring your cash and you may leave with a saw, they're usually available at those events.

Don't be in a rush to get something if you don't have a current crisis (like a tree down across your driveway) Do some more reading on this site and try to find someone that has saws you can cut with. Another thing that is helpful is to realistically assess what you will be cutting and acquire a saw appropriate to that task. (buy a saw for what you will be cutting most often, not what you "might" cut on rare occasions.

There have been lots of posts in the past on how to assess a used saw. Searching may turn those up.

Well its one reason I came on here. To get the input of you all. He may have them priced so high because he probably buys, cleans, and sells them. Which might not be the best way to purchase one for sure. I'm not so much in a rush as I am ready to scratch the itch I have. I am really going to consider the GTG. At the same time, I am not a professional and of course the big nice saw is going to appeal to me. I am wanting more power is all. I think it would probably come down to a weight thing for me. So playing with different saws might make me more confused than I am right now. lol Not to say its a bad idea though.

The echo will be just as reliable as the husky or Stihl.the timber wolf comes with a 3/8" 70 drive link chain.I just run Stihl rsc chain on mine.its the same pitch and drive link as my McCulloch pm700 and actually the same as my husky 55 running a 20" Oregon.I'm running a GB 16" arbor pro on the cs600 now.its wicked with a 16 on it.Hey was cheap too.
http://leftcoastsupplies.com/product/bar-chain-combo-ex16-50mg/

Good to know for sure. I'm gonna look into it for sure.

For small engines you need a compression tester that has the check valve in the tip.

Yep, got it. I am sure its a fine tester, just been a while since I used it and had that thought of it not being right in the back of my head is all.

Well its one reason I came on here. To get the input of you all. He may have them priced so high because he probably buys, cleans, and sells them. Which might not be the best way to purchase one for sure. I'm not so much in a rush as I am ready to scratch the itch I have. I am really going to consider the GTG. At the same time, I am not a professional and of course the big nice saw is going to appeal to me. I am wanting more power is all. I think it would probably come down to a weight thing for me. So playing with different saws might make me more confused than I am right now. lol Not to say its a bad idea though.
We all must satisfy the 'tim the toolman' in us for more power!

We all must satisfy the 'tim the toolman' in us for more power!
Yea, that's about it. I wish I could find the best deal for what I want new. But I think I am going to have to go used in order to get the power I want. Too bad there is not a super duper closeout special going on somewhere. lol.

Based on what you're saying, I think you would be very happy with the Stihl MS260 or its younger brother the MS261 or its older brother the 026. Those saws are light, reliable and plentiful. If you look long enough the 026 or MS260 can be found for quite a bit less than the prices you've quoted.
If you decide on a model, you can make a wanted ad in the "Trading Post" on this site and get a saw from a reputable forum member that has been looked over and is in good operating order. Shipping would add to the cost but the peace of mind would be worth that.

(note: there is no "vetting" of forum members, just have to hang out here for a while to find out who's going to provide you with the product you want)

I do think your idea of going used is wise. I've purchased 85 saws (yes, I keep track) and only one of them was new from a dealer. I've purchased saws from Craigslist, eBay (scary!), garage sales, flea markets, friends, pawn shops, etc. Once you have some experience with them and know what to look for, it's not as risky as many think. And keep in mind we're talking about a few hundred dollars, not like the termite eaten house I bought once...

Ok, so I have done some research. What's the bad love with Echo? I'm finding that the saw itself specs out very well. It is 1 - 1 1/2 pounds heavier than others in its class. Construction of it looks solid. Is there something I am missing about it? Are they just not as well known for their saws? Or is it just that they don't have that big of a foot in the forest industry?

Ok, so I have done some research. What's the bad love with Echo? I'm finding that the saw itself specs out very well. It is 1 - 1 1/2 pounds heavier than others in its class. Construction of it looks solid. Is there something I am missing about it? Are they just not as well known for their saws? Or is it just that they don't have that big of a foot in the forest industry?

Some of the Echo saws are just fine... Once checked and tuned... Properly... By someone who knows... Then you will know..
Come to the GTG... Just about every saw made will be there in triplicate...
If ya find one there you like, we can dis-assemble and inspect it on site...
Peace of mind...

Priceless...

;)

Some of the Echo saws are just fine... Once checked and tuned... Properly... By someone who knows... Then you will know..
Come to the GTG... Just about every saw made will be there in triplicate...
If ya find one there you like, we can dis-assemble and inspect it on site...
Peace of mind...

Priceless...

;)
You know he'll be going home with a ported saw. Lmao.

I like my echo. I got the 590 last week and it has plenty of power for what I want to do, no problems burying the 20" bar in black walnut. I got mine very lightly used (I don't think it had even seen wood) and think I could have got as much saw for my money in a different saw.

I don't think reliability will be a problem either, I have the echo cs-4600 my dad bought about 20 years ago and it still runs like a champ. If you keep up on maintenance and run good gas it should last a great long time. Take care of your tools and they will take care of you.

The biggie I think with echo for everyone is that its not made in Germany or Sweden.lol don't get me wrong I like my husky and stihls and odd ball McCulloch's and partners.lol what gets me about the big two right now is the use of cheap useless carbs on even the pro equipment.I love my Stihl fs250 trimmer but it has a god awful zama carb.same with my bg86 blowers and hs45 hedge trimmer.what I really love is my Tanaka (Japanese) tbc340 trimmer with the fixed jet rotary walbro carburetor and my echo cs600 with the walbro carb.I've had nothing but trouble with any of the zama equipped equipment and I know it's not my gas because I'd walk to Saudia Arabia right now to get non ethanol.
Sure the walbros are made in foreign country's but the quality is much better than the zamas most of the time.Stihl owns zama by the way.
With echo the total rpm is slightly slower than the big two and weight is slightly up from over use of thick magniesum or it could be just the bigger donkey balls they installed.they don't have the new doomaflatchies that the big two have these days but are on the old school level as the husky 359 or Stihl ms360.weight wise and power wise.I will do some timed test cuts with both the husky 359 and the cs600 just as soon as I get the 359 into running order again.

Echo posts are starting to become like oil threads around this place.never any winners or losers lot of info and a few hurt feelings.lol

Ok guys, your gonna have to talk me down from the ledge. Here is my thoughts.

The more I read the more I cannot see how the CS590 is not the saw I've been looking for. It's more than I've been wanting to spend per say, but at the same time that gets me a new saw.

It's competitive with other 60cc saws in its semi pro range. The only way I'm gonna do better is a used saw, which is not bad, but still a used saw. At that, I'm not seeing the used ones at much less.

Price is not all though. Realistically, a $100 one way or the other is not that much when your talking about a piece of equipment like this. When you get to $200, then I'm out. Just doesn't make much sense to me.

So other than having a bad rep for some of their past stuff, this particular saws details seem solid.

So tell me, what other saw is like this near this price point? I have been looking at used saws only really, mainly because of the power to cost ratio, but I like the idea of have a clean slate to work with. I will do the easy few mods to it right out of the box, so that should take care of some of the issues some talk about.

Through some stuff out there for me to chew on.

What I have a hard time with is why the CS 590 is priced like it is. It just doesn't seem to fit in the rest of echos line up. Kind of like an odd duck. They just trying to get a product out to show off and picked this one?

What I have a hard time with is why the CS 590 is priced like it is. It just doesn't seem to fit in the rest of echos line up. Kind of like an odd duck. They just trying to get a product out to show off and picked this one?
People seem to think echo just wants to get more market share, get their product more popular. Basic economics says of you can make the same amount of profit selling a product at two different volumes, sell the higher volume.

Also, it's basically a lesser model of the 600p. For $150 or so less you get the same engine, but the bar is a little cheaper, it gets a composite handle instead of aluminum, and it has drum sprocket instead of rim. If it bugs you later, you can change those parts out.

I got my 590 on eBay, I don't think it had ever seen wood and I got it for $315 shipped with a 14 day return policy. I figured if I'm going to mod the muffler and void the warranty, I might as well not part the extra money for the warranty. First thing I did when I opened the box was pull the muffler and make sure nobody straight gassed it.

The only way I'm gonna buy used is if I pick through it with a fine tooth comb. I'm looking to get one to last me quite a while. I'm not just looking to try it out and move on to the next in a year or so.

I like the idea of new just because of that. Yes I plan on modding it out of the box, but warranty is not a concern for me. I have not heard enough people talk about warranty claims to really think anything of it. So primarily I like the idea of new because I know what's happened to it.

You bring up one good point in my mind also. If I buy used who knows if I'm gonna get a good chain and bar. At least with a new saw I can be pretty sure it's gonna be good enough for a while.

Again though, if someone could guide me toward a comparative option I'm all ears, but I really can't seem to find one. I know they come along from time to time. No doubt, but if that ever did happen then I could see picking it up and figuring out what to do with the one I got.

All talking out loud though. I'm at the edge, but I've got a safety rope on.

There are no pro based saws that can compare.all of the big two saws are clam shells that doesn't respond well to the few modifications that you can do.compare the husky 455\460 and the stihl m290\029 and the new ms291. With the 291 you will be absolutely sorry you even looked at it.lol
You might as well jump off the ledge.lol

Latest posts

Back