New 40-50 cc saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sundance

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I've got an MS250 that I like when its running but have a hell of a time starting.
If I can't figure something out with it I'll be looking to replace with a saw in the 40cc+ to 50cc range.
My thoughts are Makita 4300, Echo 400 or 4510 (or maybe a 490).
Thoughts on these or anything else I should consider?

Echo is about your only option in your price range. with makita on the outs, it doesnt make sense to buy a product that will be abandoned in a few years. I'd give a nod to the husqy 550xp mk II but it's a bit over your price range.

I have a Ms250 which will start sometimes and sometimes not. Just get a Echo CS400 which will do everthing a MS250 will. starts great, light, built good ,easy to work on, reasonable parts that can be bought online, cuts great , can be bought for around $240 on Ebay or maybe dealer deal days. If you want one that rips you need to tune good and muff mod which gains around 30% in cutting speed. Steve

Dolmar 421, will cut side by side with a 250 any day,
The Makita version is the EA4300, mine are all 15 inch
bars, with east muffler mods, they are strong for their size.

Echo saws are also right up there, that 4510 is a sweet runner, 45cc I think,
they have a 3510 out in certain places, a lot smaller in cc 's though,
am not familiar with the Echo 40cc saws, had a few 50cc ones but they are not cheap here.

What are your selection criteria? Are you looking for the cheapest? Do you want lots of power for its weight? Long life under heavy use? Ease of repair? Power at all cost?

There are many considerations and different people have different desired considerations. I want plenty of cutting ability and low weight, but others might look for reliability at a low cost. Tell us what is important to you and we can help you better with your decision.

What are your selection criteria? Are you looking for the cheapest? Do you want lots of power for its weight? Long life under heavy use? Ease of repair? Power at all cost?

There are many considerations and different people have different desired considerations. I want plenty of cutting ability and low weight, but others might look for reliability at a low cost. Tell us what is important to you and we can help you better with your decision.
Cheapist is not the driver. Good power for weight, I like light and easy to handle. Long life is always good. I still use (and like) my Echo 290 from too many years ago! The Echo 346 is getting tired but many years of service.

Spark screen alone can make them a bear to start, if its fitted make sure its clean.
And as others said, carb rebuild, over time the diaphram get hard, stretched and hard,
it can get a hole too, and the small screen in the carb itself can be full of small dust,
fuel filtler shoud be clean or changed.
Take cap of fuel tank and listen for suction as you loosen, put it on and see if the saw
starts.
Didnt drop plug and alter gap, small things can catch anyone out.

If you're operating on a budget, I'd keep a lookout at Home Depot rental saws that are being sold.
Gas Chainsaw 16"
Gas Chainsaw 16

Previously Rented - Makita
category #01 group #021

Starting at $138.00 / each
1 Available
Eugene #4003 (3.9 mi)
1045 Green Acres Rd
Eugene, OR 97408 | View on Map
Phone: (541) 984-0412
Mon-Sat: 6:00am - 9:00pm, Sun: 7:00am - 8:00pm
In-store purchase only. Please call to confirm availability before visiting store.
  • Brand may differ
  • Photo is for reference purposes only, actual tool condition/color/style may vary
  • Previously rented tools and equipment sold “as-is” (See Terms and Conditions)
  • Not all accessories pictured are included in the purchase price displayed; please ask an associate for details
  • Used equipment is tested and inspected by The Home Depot's Tool Rental technicians prior to being placed for sale.

If you're operating on a budget, I'd keep a lookout at Home Depot rental saws that are being sold.
Gas Chainsaw 16"
Gas Chainsaw 16

Previously Rented - Makita
category #01 group #021

Starting at $138.00 / each
1 Available
Eugene #4003 (3.9 mi)
1045 Green Acres Rd
Eugene, OR 97408 | View on Map
Phone: (541) 984-0412
Mon-Sat: 6:00am - 9:00pm, Sun: 7:00am - 8:00pm
In-store purchase only. Please call to confirm availability before visiting store.
  • Brand may differ
  • Photo is for reference purposes only, actual tool condition/color/style may vary
  • Previously rented tools and equipment sold “as-is” (See Terms and Conditions)
  • Not all accessories pictured are included in the purchase price displayed; please ask an associate for details
  • Used equipment is tested and inspected by The Home Depot's Tool Rental technicians prior to being placed for sale.
I'm eyeing the Home Depot used saws but in my area they are in the $200 range.

Latest posts

Back