New member, first post, first chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adder31

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Lots of great info on this forum, I have been snooping around for a few days.

I am looking to purchase my first chainsaw. I will have a house on 5 acres in a month or so and have a big pile of trees to cut for firewood. They are mostly doug firs, maybe some maple and 2' diameter at most. Probably will not cut anything over 3'. I plan to use the saw to cut firewood, either on my property or elsewhere, mainly on weekends.

I am looking at Stihls due to local dealer and repair. I do not think I need a pro saw, unless convinced otherwise.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
:givebeer:

Welcome to AS! Congrats on your 1st post! And go with the Husqvarna 372XPW while you still can!:)

new saw

Here is advice I got a few years ago. Find an AS member, someone with saws in your area, or a tool rental store. Give the AS member/someone with saws a case of beer, give the store owner $$.

Go try out a few saws and pick the one you like best. Cut big wood, small wood etc. Read old post here but be careful. A few years ago I had one 55cc saw for firewood. Now I have to find places to hide them from my wife. I used to leave big logs in the woods, now I cut them into little pieces just for the heck of it.

welcome to AS,,, don't let these guys tell you different but check into the echo's,,pending on your cutting needs i would look at the cs-530,,i have run echo's for years and have not had 1 minute problem with them

Beer is no problem, I am a home brewer and usually have 4 beers on tap in the garage kegerator.

I'm close to Ft. Lewis if there are any AS members nearby.

Welcome to AS! Congrats on your 1st post! And go with the Husqvarna 372XPW while you still can!:)

Ha! I second that, but really you should probably give a price range or else you are going to get a lot of Husqvarna 372XP's, Stihl MS362's, Dolmar 6400BB's, ect.

A 372XP may be overkill for 5 acres. There won't be a tree left on the property. :chainsaw:

If you are not going over 20" much I would say you could opt for something in the 50-60cc range.

Good point on price, $500 range.

Stihl is 10 mins from my new place for service/parts and repair, that is why I am thinking Stihl.

I'm not going to cut all my trees, but will cut firewood every year wherever I can, so I will be cutting semi-frequently on weekends.

I do not think I need a pro saw, unless convinced otherwise.

well, regardless of your needs, wants or opinion on what you need, PREPARE TO BE CONVINCED OTHERWISE !:dizzy:

also note the first 2 recommendations were a $800+ husqvarna and an echo.. after he clearly said he wanted stihl because of local dealer support :dizzy: AS never fails! lol

if you want a new non-pro stihl, your biggest/best option will be a 391, locally here they run a little over $500 with a 20"bar and chain(you could run a 25" b&c if you really wanted to)- about 14 pounds and 64cc., the pro alternative would be a 361/362, almost 2 pounds lighter, same power, totally different saws though, search around and read about them if you wish, youll find a lot of reading on both models. if you can find one, a 361 can be had for not much more money than the 391 , and would obviously be a better option, the new 362's are quite pricey around here at almost $700

Last edited:
Get a dolmar 7900 for a few extra bucks, turn those woods into pasture land and start raising beef, then I'll tell ya what kind of steer to get.

Oh yeah, you wanted a stihl, then what banshee said

Welcome

Last edited:
beware

When I started reading this forum a few years back, all I had was an old mac 610 and now I have 18 saws of all the brands.. But then I do have 20 acres in So Dak. Which means I probably have not 1/10 the trees you would have on 5.

362s are about the same price here in western WA state, probably more than I want to spend.

To cut 3 ft diameter logs, do you need a 20" bar? Will 18" work?

Good point on price, $500 range.

Stihl is 10 mins from my new place for service/parts and repair, that is why I am thinking Stihl.

I'm not going to cut all my trees, but will cut firewood every year wherever I can, so I will be cutting semi-frequently on weekends.

i had stihl ms 290 got stolen needed new saw 5 days ago was going to get ms260 pro or 346 xp husky but got a little more cash together and got ms362 pro model

ran saw around 8 hours on sat. very happy i spent a little more and steped up to 362 the only saw i will need for along time but i am sure i will get a small one some day

362s are about the same price here in western WA state, probably more than I want to spend.

To cut 3 ft diameter logs, do you need a 20" bar? Will 18" work?

if youre cutting a lot of 3ft diameter logs, i think you better skip the 60cc saws and head right to a 441 :D
get your wallet out!

Probably not a lot of 3 footers, but that would be the max.

The 391 with a 20' bar sounds like it would work for me.

If you listen to most of us here, you will end up with a 660 to trim the ornamental bushes out front of your house and an 880 for cutting firewood...if my wife is reading this, you need to make a choice, the mortgage payment or a new 660 and your husband's happiness.:spam:

Hey I used a ported 288XP to cut some 2x4's last week. I'm sure my neighbors appreciated that.

It was easier then pulling out the skill saw and extension cords.

Latest posts

Back