Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a little bit more work done on my 5200 rebuild. I took some of my saw parts over to my cousins place this week and used his blast cabinet. After they were cleaned up, I hated to let them sit bare like that.Wanted to get some primer on them. Today was a little warmer, so fired up my space heater and installed the bearings, seals, crank & piston, got that buttoned up.
Then shot some primer on the parts. Will probably not get much more done till spring and better weather. Need to get paint yet. Here are a few progress pics.

5200build003.jpg

5200build005.jpg

5200build006.jpg

5200build008.jpg

5200build012.jpg

5200build015.jpg

5200build014.jpg

Gregg,

That is looking nice. When you get paint on it that should look like a brand new saw, not to mention that alot of the parts will be new also making it even better. Keep posting the progress, it should be interesting to see all the stages.

306A / 245 A Oiler grease

The automatic oiler on my 245A stopped working. When i looked into it, I found the the toothed gear had disintegrated. Pushing on the little piston results in a little glop of oil coming out of the oiler port, so that part of it is working. I've got a spare gear from a 306A parts saw that I have. Question-----

What kind of lube to use?
What should I look out for?

It seems that there is some kind if grease in there. The whole thing seems to run off of friction from the crankshaft, so the issue of lube seems important. Also, what caused the previous gear to chew itself into little pieces?

Anybody an expert on these things?

That's true. However, that seller NEVER puts saws up for sale. He doesn't just part out the scored 'too expensive to rebuild' saws. He parts out ALL the saws that he gets. I know him from a non-chainsaw forum that I was active on 10 years or so ago. He has indeed made a business out of it. He's a good guy (not trying to vilify him). I also realize that many people (and many saws) can be 'helped' by the parting out of one saw. It's still sad to see so many hard to find/desirable saws get parted out rather than kept whole.....

When he does that though, several people might wind up with runners, as opposed to one richer collector with 18 of the same model.

Theres different ways to look at things.

When he does that though, several people might wind up with runners, as opposed to one richer collector with 18 of the same model.

Theres different ways to look at things.

Or a 'beer budget' collector that' finally able to score one of these big-ticket saws as a fixer-upper.....

Gulp, Craftsman ID Help

Pulled the bar off of this saw several weeks ago and paid no further attention to it (for obvious reasons) It did not have the recoil/side cover and thus no ID anywhere that I can see. Only reason I'm tinkering is that it shows good spark when spun by my cordless drill and p/c look good from both ends. It had a 16" bar which i liked enough to put on the S25DA. I'm guessing 42-46cc. No chain brake so its not too new and may have promise after TLC ( OK lots of TLC!) I've included the S25DA for thread legality issues. Hope this grey saw doesn't turn out to be an Echo! And, I'll be needing the recoil/side cover once "we" figure out what saw this is.
View attachment 274330View attachment 274321View attachment 274329

Last edited by a moderator:
Or a 'beer budget' collector that' finally able to score one of these big-ticket saws as a fixer-upper.....

You got that right.
I don't know whether I feel panic or fear that I'll miss a saw for sale cheap that I never thought I would find for a really low price until it's in the trunk of my car.
Feels good though and the drive home is excellent. :msp_smile:

View attachment 274330View attachment 274321View attachment 274329Pulled the bar off of this saw several weeks ago and paid no further attention to it (for obvious reasons) It did not have the recoil/side cover and thus no ID anywhere that I can see. Only reason I'm tinkering is that it shows good spark when spun by my cordless drill and p/c look good from both ends. It had a 16" bar which i liked enough to put on the S25DA. I'm guessing 42-46cc. No chain brake so its not too new and may have promise after TLC ( OK lots of TLC!) I've included the S25DA for thread legality issues. Hope this grey saw doesn't turn out to be an Echo! And, I'll be needing the recoil/side cover once "we" figure out what saw this is.

That's no Echo. It's part of the 33-42cc family of saws that includes the WT variants. Parts are abundant and CHEAP.....from guys here, AS site sponsors, feebay, and new from Poulan/Husky outlets.

That's no Echo. It's part of the 33-42cc family of saws that includes the WT variants. Parts are abundant and CHEAP.....from guys here, AS site sponsors, feebay, and new from Poulan/Husky outlets.

Only reason I mentioned Echo was that the sticker with starting instructions had a number starting with 358, which is Craftsman-speak for Echo products. I'm only dinkin with this saw for my son because he did give the the B and C pictured on the S25da.
Cheap is good. New, for this saw, probably not an option. Later...

Only reason I mentioned Echo was that the sticker with starting instructions had a number starting with 358, which is Craftsman-speak for Echo products. I'm only dinkin with this saw for my son because he did give the the B and C pictured on the S25da.
Cheap is good. New, for this saw, probably not an option. Later...

Ummmmmm .... '358.' prefix is for Poulan. At least that holds true for my 5.2.

Echo would never dream of producing a saw this beastly.

Not even on a bad day.

Not even on a bad day.

Hey!

Better watch your mouth there pardner!
I happen to know where there is an Echo real close to you that will give a 5.2/5200 ALL it wants!!!

Mike

Thought i'd share this all american Beaaaauty i plucked from the local classifieds for 100 bones :msp_biggrin: Amazing quality and condition for my 1st ever Poulan purchase
375farmproPoulan003.jpg

375farmproPoulan002.jpg

Poulan006.jpg

375farmproPoulan004.jpg

What a great sounding and running saw. Love it! :heart:

Thats a very good entry into the poulan family. Those are very strong saws. The power of a 3700 with some very nice 4000 features such as the better intake and filter, better exhaust and heavy duty starter pawls and recoil.

Not even on a bad day.

Here is my reference. It could be wrong.View attachment 274352

Also found this, which supports 358 as Poulan and 636 for Echo. Hmmm
Craftsman OEM List VintageMachinery_org.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Excuse the interruption, I thought you Poulan fans might be interested in the saw I just posted in the Tradin' Post.

100_1328_zpsc964de9a.jpg

100_1326_zpsb5d784cd.jpg

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming...

dd

Got a little bit more work done on my 5200 rebuild. I took some of my saw parts over to my cousins place this week and used his blast cabinet. After they were cleaned up, I hated to let them sit bare like that.Wanted to get some primer on them. Today was a little warmer, so fired up my space heater and installed the bearings, seals, crank & piston, got that buttoned up.
Then shot some primer on the parts. Will probably not get much more done till spring and better weather. Need to get paint yet. Here are a few progress pics.
Gregg,

Looks great Gregg, your gaining on it. I love those saws, easiest in the world to work on.

Thought i'd share this all american Beaaaauty i plucked from the local classifieds for 100 bones :msp_biggrin: Amazing quality and condition for my 1st ever Poulan purchase

What a great sounding and running saw. Love it! :heart:

After getting that great saw for your first Poulan, you better hang on to your wallet, you will be after more! :msp_biggrin:

Thats really a nice saw and you got a good deal on it.

The automatic oiler on my 245A stopped working. When i looked into it, I found the the toothed gear had disintegrated. Pushing on the little piston results in a little glop of oil coming out of the oiler port, so that part of it is working. I've got a spare gear from a 306A parts saw that I have. Question-----

What kind of lube to use?
What should I look out for?

It seems that there is some kind if grease in there. The whole thing seems to run off of friction from the crankshaft, so the issue of lube seems important. Also, what caused the previous gear to chew itself into little pieces?

Anybody an expert on these things?

I useally use regualar brg grease from a grease gun on those oiler parts. There not really picky, just make sure everything is cleaned up before you put it back together and grease it up.

That gear is made from brass for a reason, its a consumable part really, there made to wear out before something else does. Those really are a good oiler setup on them and are useally pretty trouble free.

Damn M mark^^^^, thats a really neat saw! Ive only seen the Wright versions, but yours is the 1st ive seen in action. I didnt know Poulan had a saw of that design :confused: Nice! Thanks for the vid :popcorn:

Back