Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Started my 2300 to just run it for a short time. Wasn't oiling and I saw that the oil line was rotted. Removed what I think is the pump (pic). Where does the other end of line go? I see there is a check valve. Does it go there? I don't see an oil filter in the oil tank and I thought there should be a filter on the end of the line and then another going from pump to the output hole. Obviously I'm confused.
BobView attachment 312630

Bob, what you have there is the metering body. There should be a piece of sponge filter material inside the cavity. Looks like a small doughnut about an inch in diameter. I've made them out of air filter material before. The other end of the oil line goes through the small hole in the body at the bar mount and provides oil for the chain.

Last edited:
did some cutting today with iron Mike

We used a 655, 400, XL12 with bow and 6900 which is a beast.

We dropped a 30" standing dead as well.

We started, 245SA, 53, 71A and maybe a few more i can't remember.

Fun day!!

First one of these, 4620

I hadn't run into a 46cc version modern poulan before, but got one last week for ten bucks. 4620AVHD model. Story was it would start, then cut out. Chain looks new, never been sharpened, still had some edge to it.

Drained the tank, fished the end of the filter out and..no filter! It had the plastic housing, but no filter material! So I know the carb is plugged, pulled that, cleaned it, line looked new, put it back on, scrounged an acceptable used filter from the stash of junkers, blasted that out with some spray, install....it would run kinda sorta. Pulled the plug, a healthy 1/1000 gap, with carbon bridging! Like..no gap! Eyeballed that and tweaked it open with a flathead, little tweaking, runs fine. I will MM (and clean screen) and retune tomorrow. Has that .325 20 inch bar on it...dunno about that, think I might put a 16 on it, we'll see after the MM

Start of beavering up a big sweetgum chunk of trunk that fell down

http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=312641&stc=1&d=1378066961

If your not going to be cutting any 20" pieces then just leave the bar on. You will not have to reach as far on the sweetgum laying there. I am running a 18" Husky bar on my 295 for just that reason.

A New 245A Fan

Added to my growing flock of green yesterday. Local CL listing. Starts right up. Good comp. Runs strong. Only obvious problems are the chain's safety bumpers are higher than what's left of the cutters and the gas cap leaks at the vent hole, probably just needing a duck bill valve? The muffler is banged up a little and the interior "screen" piece is missing a corner where the attachment spacer is supposed to be located, but it still bolts up securely. Pics are how I found it. Haven't taken anything down aside from pulling the muffler and checking the air filter/air box area for anything weird. Piston looks great, and the air filter just needs a good cleaning. Very cool saw.:rock:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

:cheers:

Added to my growing flock of green yesterday. Local CL listing. Starts right up. Good comp. Runs strong. Only obvious problems are the chain's safety bumpers are higher than what's left of the cutters and the gas cap leaks at the vent hole, probably just needing a duck bill valve? The muffler is banged up a little and the interior "screen" piece is missing a corner where the attachment spacer is supposed to be located, but it still bolts up securely. Pics are how I found it. Haven't taken anything down aside from pulling the muffler and checking the air filter/air box area for anything weird. Piston looks great, and the air filter just needs a good cleaning. Very cool saw.:rock:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Yes they are very nice saws, professional grade saw and very light to cc ratio.

Well i took my worst looking 71A and gave it a full cleaning and painted it Key Lime and clear coat.

I still need the buttons and decal for the bar clamp. I think it turned out ok.

It clearly is not a Mark job but was my 1st attempt at it.

Looks fine to me! I don't even care if some painted saw resto is "stock appearing", to me, picking your own colors is just as cool, showed you put some work and thought into making your machine better.

Pogo was that the $50 one? If not there is another between us a bit closer to you. :msp_wink:

Never mind has the same off white oil cap :laugh: same one.

This was on the Cle CL and was in Mantua. Not exactly between us, but probably the same saw. Only one I saw during my recent CL prowling. Been trying to stay away from CL and actually get to some of the projects I've run across already, but was jonesin' the other day and just had to take a look at the latest listings. Good day for it, huh?:msp_tongue:

Strong saw and will be fun to run. Nothin' to cut right now, but I have a couple good-sized ash that need dropped before too long and will be more than enough fun to get into.

Wouldn't have a muffler layin' around for one o' these, would ya?

Well i took my worst looking 71A and gave it a full cleaning and painted it Key Lime and clear coat.

I still need the buttons and decal for the bar clamp. I think it turned out ok.

It clearly is not a Mark job but was my 1st attempt at it.

View attachment 312746View attachment 312747

Looks real nice. When you get the decals on it that will really set it off.

Latest posts

Back