Stihl 362 vs. Husqvarna 562XP interested in your thoughts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lute

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am looking for a 60cc chainsaw. I have both Stihl and Husqvarna Service Dealers close to where I live. I have 50 wooded acres and rely on wood as my main source of heat. I am big so chainsaw weight is not a factor.

If Stihl still produced a 361, I would have bought one but I am not so sure about a 362. Right now I am torn between buying a Stihl MS362 or a Husqvarna 562XP. I am interested in the community's opinion on these two saws.

Also what are your thoughts on buying a Stihl 311 or a Husqvarna 555? Should I stick with the Pro models (MS362/562XP) or are these worthy alternatives?

And since weight is not an issue, what about buying a Stihl 391 or a Husqvarna 570? These appear to be as powerful as the MS362/562XP but cost significantly less. Will I face quality issues since I am not in the Pro line?

With weight not being a deal killer, and bang for your buck at least on your mind, let me suggest the Husky 365 X-torq model. 562xp hasnt hit the shelf here yet, so pricing has been speculative at best. The 365 will save you some money, possibly upwards of $100 dollars over the 562. But like i said speculative.

Lute,

If ya can wait a couple weeks, the 562XP is supposed to be showing up at the end of June.....according to the Husqvarna Rep..

But then the nice lady at Husqvarna told me late May, after telling my dealer Late April.

There's no telling when the thing will be out. Word is "Emissions compliance issues" is holding things up, and it will be the 560XP version released but with a large mount.

If you're in a hurry, snag a used 361 in good shape and get cutting.
When the 560 does hit the dealers, you'll already have 10 Cords cut and stacked, and can sell it quick.

The 391 and 570 ain't bad saws either. Just heavier and a tad down on grunt compared to thier Pro model counterparts.
It's just more fun to cut with a saw that keeps you giggling.;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Thanks REJ2. The local Huskie dealer had a 365 on sale for $620 ($50 off). What's your thoughts on the 365 vs 570? The 570 is listed at $600 (it's heavier than the 365 but with a little more kW - 3.6kW vs 3.4kW). Is the X-torque a standard feature in the 365 or is it an upgrade? Am I missing any differences in quality or other power specs?

Great!, now rather than considering six different saws, I am now looking at seven different saws - but thanks REJ2 for the advice on the 365. Maybe it is an omen.

Thanks Dingeryoke. I have to wait about a month anyway - putting a little of each paycheck on the side in order to buy this thing.

I would buy a used 361 if I could find one (but then I would not know whether it was on its last legs or not - so maybe not). I really prefer a new chainsaw (sort of like a virgin lady who might keep me giggling alot :)). By the way, I have a mean 'ol lady who keeps me in line, too. No telling what she might do if she finds me giggling with a new chainsaw.

Another vote for the 365XT. For firewood it is an excellent saw. Based on the 372 it will last you forever with a little less hp. Of course, the 562 is probably a nice upgrade from a 365 but who nows exactly when it will hit the market and you will probably save some nice $ with the 365. The 365 is an extremely proven chainsaw.

Thanks Dingeryoke. I have to wait about a month anyway - putting a little of each paycheck on the side in order to buy this thing.

I would buy a used 361 if I could find one (but then I would not know whether it was on its last legs or not - so maybe not). I really prefer a new chainsaw (sort of like a virgin lady who might keep me giggling alot :)). By the way, I have a mean 'ol lady who keeps me in line, too. No telling what she might do if she finds me giggling with a new chainsaw.

I'd definately hold off on the 365 for the 560XP if you have the time to wait. Nothing against the 365, it's a de-tuned 372 so it's gonna be darn tough to wear one out. The 560XP is gonna be a outrageous little saw if it's half of what it has been made out to be.

A member here "Spike" is a dealer in your neck of the woods, and got to demo the pre-release 560. Holler at him and see if he can reserve one for ya. He's an ace to deal with, and just plain good folks.

Start giggling randomly around the house in order to get the wife accustomed to it. That way she wont suspect anything when ya do get it..just the normal wierdness, nothing to worry about. LOL!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

If the 365 you saw is an x-torq, it will have the same hp as the 570 and be lighter. I have the 2165 which is the jonsered version of the 365, and it is a very enjoyable saw to run with plenty of power.

Here is a clip, sure not the best test of them but it's the only one i have seen so far !?

[video=youtube;0wkUNf-G44E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wkUNf-G44E&feature=related[/video]

:agree2:

There is reason to believe that the 560xp/562xp will be that kind of saw, while the competitors and alternatives are not......:D

"IF" the 562 weight specs are accurate, then it might have some advantage over its Stihl couterpart. But if the weights as optimistic as they usually are, then the 362 is equally attractive.

"IF" the 562 weight specs are accurate, then it might have some advantage over its Stihl couterpart. But if the weights as optimistic as they usually are, then the 362 is equally attractive.
:D We don't really know how accurate the specs of the MS362 are either - specs are all we have at the moment, and those show a significant difference.....

:D We don't really know how accurate the specs of the MS362 are either - specs are all we have at the moment, and those show a significant difference.....

The 362 is likely a sub-13lb saw. The one I picked up recently on lacks an air filter and a nut to be complete. With the oil dumped but the tank not flushed the saw is 12lbs 13oz. .

I've ran a 362 quite a bit lately. A well broken one at that. It's a beast is all I can say. You put about 25 or more tanks on one and they will throw some chips.
It's hard to feel the weight difference between 361 and 362, though my 361 has the PNW kit which may add a few ounces. They balance really well with a 20" bar.
I sold my 361 recently just to buy a 362. My buddies 362, which is the one I've been running, has a muff mod and is broken in well and will smoke my MM'd 361. I'm not talking about stopwatch smoke, I'm talking about a smoking you can feel. :D
I don't think alot of guys who have ran them and comment on them have ran one thats been broken in good. if they had, they may have had different thoughts on them.

BTW, after selling my 361 to get a 362, I decided just to get a new 75cc 372XPW. :D See, I'm not biased, I just like the 362.

Thank you peter 399, rburg, SawTroll, SWE#Kipp, mmurph, and Anthony_Va for your comments. Also thanks to dingeryoke and REJ2 for their followup comments.

Since I need to wait a couple more paychecks to get enough money to buy this thing, I guess I can wait to see if the Husqvarna 562XP ever comes to fruition. Right now, in my head, I am still juggling between the Husqvarna 562XP, 365, and the Stihl 362. I almost ruled out the 362 but mmurph and Anthony_Va. convinced me otherwise. Someone privately e-mailed me a chance at a brand new Stihl 361 (not a 362) so I will pursue that further; but I have to admit I am leaning the two Husqvarna models.

I was planning on spending less than $700 but I am thinking about raising that bar to under $900. Someone already mentioned the Husqvarna 372XP. What are your thoughts on the Husqvarna 576XP and the Stihl 441 Mag? Maybe they are overkill for me -- and to think that my one and only other previous chainsaw was a Homelite 18cc (which quickly became toast - I used it like you would a normal hand saw - downward pressure with back and forth arm motion - I kid you not). Guess I will not have to resort to that with any of these saws. :)

Lute,

If ya can wait a couple weeks, the 562XP is supposed to be showing up at the end of June.....according to the Husqvarna Rep..

But then the nice lady at Husqvarna told me late May, after telling my dealer Late April.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Well Dinger

More bad news. My local Husky dealer had the rep in on Thursday and was informed he can not place orders for the 562XP, along with the new top handle and / or pole saw, until late Sept. at the earliest. He's PO'd. not over the 562XP, but because he's trying to break in with some bid tree service accounts but doesn't have the products to go up against the Stihl dealers.

I smell a problem in the land of orange. To their credit if there are issues at least they're not dumping them on the customer base by making them beta testers.

To the OP

There are a lot of good saws out there by many manufacturers. Buy the one you like. All of the saws you've mentioned , other than the 562XP which doesn't exist, have a good reputation for reliability and performance. It boils down to what you like and the comfort level with the dealer.

As to your question on the 576XP vs 441 CM. I had a 576XP and really liked it. Smooth and good power but wasn't the best handling saw. It was OK but not great. I preferred it to the 372XP. Can't comment on the 372XT. I bought a 441CM after being given one by Stihl for a week of testing, demo use. Liked the saw so much I bought it and sold the 576XP. (Was saving the $ for a 562XP but Stihl had the product, Husky didn't) Power between the 576XP and 441CM was similar, anti-vibe to the Husky by a nose, throttle response, balance, handling, and weight were all on the Stihl's side. The 441CM handles very much like my old 268XP, with a lot more power and performance.

Take Care

..... Someone already mentioned the Husqvarna 372XP. What are your thoughts on the Husqvarna 576XP and the Stihl 441 Mag? Maybe they are overkill for me -- ....

I would not do that, unless it was likely that I would really need the extra power. Slso, I would stay with the 372xp if I took the jump, to avoid at least some of the added weight + get a better-handling saw (based on an assumption, not on using the saws).

The 372 does handle better than a 576. A 441 I'm not sure how it would do. There's about a lb between the 372 and 576 with flush handles. With full wrap on a 372 I'd say there's a few ounces between that and a flush handled 576.

Back