What is, a "muscle saw"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was hoping someone would show the 076 Super a little love.

Running a 42" bar buried in a blowdown oak changed my perspective on saws a lot.

Don't know when I'll get to it, but I'm looking forward getting a Mac 380 up and running too. Same displacement as the bigger Super 250 (but no 3rd transfer).

Is that what the crank came out of? Is it ten cylinder?

Hey Rope,..that is a straight 8 crank from a Cooper Bessemer engine, it can be used as a powerplant for many applications, this one was used as a powergenerator up North. I will look in my albums, I know I did have a pict of the engine at one time.
Guess I still have it,

2010%20Trip%20to%20Alaska%20091.jpg

Pioneerguy600

I was hoping someone would show the 076 Super a little love.

Running a 42" bar buried in a blowdown oak changed my perspective on saws a lot.

Don't know when I'll get to it, but I'm looking forward getting a Mac 380 up and running too. Same displacement as the bigger Super 250 (but no 3rd transfer).

Yep, this saw is an absolute HOG with a long bar. Heavy to more around but you can make some serious time cutting hardwood with this saw.

I would consider a muscle saw to have around 100+cc, and to have a surprising amount of torque in comparison to what you would expect.

A boat anchor is anything more than 150cc, which i have a few of too.

You pull much cable? if not, it will raise the bar to w whole nother level!!

keep going till you see white and a big bass drum takes over your hearing,(your heart), then take 30 and do work.

I miss work. . .

Not definable by cubic inch. What's a muscle car? Corvette Sting Ray? AAR 'Cuda? 429 Fairlane? Doesn't matter, they all count and we all know it when we see it... or is that feel it?

These are muscle saws.
<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/aRtGJg0zQ5A" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

For Aaron:YouTube - McCulloch 1-82 & Super 797

Is that what the crank came out of? Is it ten cylinder?

A TD18A is an old diesel International Harvester crawler with an I6 that's just shy of 700ci (694ci IIRC). Starts on gasoline, then switches over to diesel (all in the same engine) when warm. Complicated, but it works. Beasts....:cheers:

Why did the 76 change your perspective?

Used a lot of 61s and 268s when I was firefighting. Light and fast was the way to go.

Cut plenty of timber, but never had as much fun as I did watching that beast chew through 36" of oak.

I hear ya. Every once in a while I took my super 797 along for the day when there where some large specimens to deal with.
I think a muscle saw could be defined by how loud it is. Cutting with a 372 or 46 or 66 all day with no hearing protection is loud but after a few minutes you forget about the noise.
With the old saws you are constantly aware of the noise for it is affecting your ears in such a physical way past noise. it rattles your ears and makes it feel like the wax is shaking lose and bouncing around.
I can not imagine what the hearing of my elderly brethren is like. .

Not definable by cubic inch. What's a muscle car? Corvette Sting Ray? AAR 'Cuda? 429 Fairlane? Doesn't matter, they all count and we all know it when we see it... or is that feel it?

These are muscle saws.
<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/aRtGJg0zQ5A" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

For Aaron:YouTube - McCulloch 1-82 & Super 797

man, nice looking saw; but I can`t see it in a wood that matches the bar. can it pull it off?

No ,that is a museum in Fort Nelson along the Alaska Highway, they have a slew of old equipment that was used to build that highway, I took picts of it all. In the 13,000. klms I drove I came across a lot of old machines. Funny thing is that I have operated and worked on ones like them, started at 9 years of age on TD 15`s.

Pioneerguy600
lol your childhood sounds the same as mine, were they c series 15s?15hq.jpg

Latest posts

Back