Do 2 circlips cost that much to ship?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the same thing with carb kits. you could easily drop them in an envelope with the invoice and stick a 44¢ stamp on it. a kit for an 044 costs $17 at my local dealer. baileys has the kit for $12 and shipping costs $8......oh well, sometimes you can't lose for losing!!!

That's expensive, I get carb kits shipped from the US to Australia for under $4.

Plus you have two more new OEM Stihl 440 clips on the way via first class mail. So now you'll get it done no matter what.

JJ, you really came through and much appreciated. If the ones I ordered don't fit then these 440's are sure the ones to fit. I have the saw in parts still and was waiting for options before some of the parts go missing. I am now going to wait for the 440's and use them on the MAHLE piston. thanks

I did that with my beretta once.. I was re installing the slide spring when I accidentally let go.. it and the plunger shot off.. one part hit my x square in the forehead. I was laughing so hard I didn't notice where it went.. I wasn't laughing when it took me almost 2 hours to find the spring and plunger! all in all id do it again !!!!! ( hitting the x in the forehead)

That must not have been a good feeling.

Losing the parts.:hmm3grin2orange:

I think that shipping was high, but these days not unusual. My local husky dealer charges 5 dollars for shipping on ALL SPECIAL ORDERS, and you still have to pick them up at his store. It doesn't matter if you order 1 thing or 2000 things their policy is to charge 5 dollars for all special orders. I recently had window for a tractor shipped from Mn to IL and the shipping was 8.64 for a huge box that weighed around 50lbs. I was shocked that shipping was so cheap, but the lady taking my order said that is what the computer showed so that was what she was charging me. Maybe they just had to product marked up high enough, they could give me cheap shipping.

Reality is not related to shipping costs. Poking about Ebay. Lot of 5 SD cards, bid $.01, shipping $60. Now I can catch them on sale at Staples for $10 a piece.

I ordered a Genie 1060 direct drive garage door opener for $139.99 with free shipping. another site had it for the same price with $2.95 shipping.

Do you ever look at Woot® : One Day, One Deal Everything is $5 shipping.

Reality is not related to shipping costs. Poking about Ebay. Lot of 5 SD cards, bid $.01, shipping $60. Now I can catch them on sale at Staples for $10 a piece.

I ordered a Genie 1060 direct drive garage door opener for $139.99 with free shipping. another site had it for the same price with $2.95 shipping.

Do you ever look at Woot® : One Day, One Deal Everything is $5 shipping.

Never heard of woot until now. Maybe I'll try them next time I need something.

Got a Fastenal handy? They might have them. Website allows you to pick the closest store, and if memory serves me correctly it tells the inventory at the store:

Home | Fastenal

I looked them up and found one a couple miles from me but it was mentioned that if they have some kind of clip it may not be a good enough quality metal to withstand the punishment of these saws.

Also want to show proof that shipping these in a plain envelope should not be a problem. I received two circlips today taped to a piece of printer paper and they traveled 3k miles usps without one tear to the security lined envelope. I'm very thankful and appreciate these two clips as the other ones I got will probably not work. I'll have these installed either tomorrow or friday.

asset.php

OK. You got your clips. If I was to pay somebody to sit and tape clips to paper, and address envelopes, and apply stamps, would I do that for nothing or would I want to make money at it? Shipping is what it is, and local shops are in a bind over it. If they "eat" the cost, they have to pass it on somewhere, or go broke. We deal with three sources, one is shipping plus $5 for a under a hundred dollar order, one is $8.95 or $12.95, depending on weight unless order is over $150, then the fee is waived, one is $25.00 minimum order plus $6.95 plus a shipping surcharge, depending on weight. I'd tend to agree with Nik, though, an extra circlip in a kit wouldn't kill them. Just figure it in the cost. And them metric flywheel keys, another pain to find if they drop to the floor.

OK. You got your clips. If I was to pay somebody to sit and tape clips to paper, and address envelopes, and apply stamps, would I do that for nothing or would I want to make money at it? Shipping is what it is, and local shops are in a bind over it. If they "eat" the cost, they have to pass it on somewhere, or go broke. We deal with three sources, one is shipping plus $5 for a under a hundred dollar order, one is $8.95 or $12.95, depending on weight unless order is over $150, then the fee is waived, one is $25.00 minimum order plus $6.95 plus a shipping surcharge, depending on weight. I'd tend to agree with Nik, though, an extra circlip in a kit wouldn't kill them. Just figure it in the cost. And them metric flywheel keys, another pain to find if they drop to the floor.

Sorry, didn't mean to P anyone off this much. At least I'm getting the impression your p'd off and had to vent some. Sorry again if I am getting the wrong impression.

If I had to come in to a shop to buy something(such as these clips), someone still has to attend me or anyone walking in to look up the part in parts book, then go through the boxes looking for the part, someone to take cash then to give change or run a credit card, ring up the register, give me a receipt, refill the register or credit card machine with more paper after they run out from people walking in, having to deal with people face to face that just make your day, etc etc. This thread was about two circlips not two whole chainsaws, no need to hire someone to use a piece of tape and paper. I called one local dealer and walked in to two dealers and none had these in stock so I turned to the net to find them.

So sticking 2 clips to a piece of paper may even turn out less work in the end, I think. Unless you plan on hiring someone to sit there and tape clips to pieces of paper, gonna have to sell a lot of them though. It'll take about 2 minutes to grab these things in the shop, tape them and stick them in an envelope, then just set the envelope in the outgoing mail box for the USPS man to take.

Sorry to bring out this shipping reality.

We are all in the same boat concerning shipping dilemmas.

The price we will pay for shipping can best be thought through by determining first how soon we need an item. I have found that my patience pays dividends. There are some good local sources who cannot stock everything they sell, but they can get it from the big city distributor overnight and shipping is usually included.

For a great hardware and parts web source I recommend McMaster-Carr. But for small engine web sites I am still looking for the one that meets these needs we have written about in this thread.

Isn't it amazing how the USPS can deliver so quickly for less than UPS and FedEx, but the post office says they are broke and losing more than ever before.

The reality is that at under $.50 a piece, the time it takes me to find and locate them for you isn't paying me a lot. At $50 an hour, and thats not a high shop rate, thats $.84 a minute, you're 5 minute trip to my shop for $.99 cents worth of merchandise isn't paying the bills. Help will run at least $20 an hour, after benefits, SSI, etc. so they have two minutes to break even. Can I put it in an envelope, sure, but why is my time worth less than yours? As for stocking them, can't see that, as any time I need to replace them I'll get them in the kit. I'm not mad, just trying to show you that theres more to this than the charge. Theres a reason for them, and reasons the shops you tried didn't have them. Its just not economical for them to have them.

No money to be made is a fair explanation of why not to stock little 50 cent items. But remember that selling a 50 cent circlip may turn into a new saw purchase later on and that should be reason enough to stock little things like that keeping customers coming back for other things.

Parts should be anything and everything for saws that sell in the shops. If not in stock then should be able to add to the next shop order of parts to restock. Not all dealers are the same, some stock it all, some just carry whatever they want.

You'd be surprised at the number of people who expect some one to fix anything cheaply, yet wouldn't think twice about going to a box store to make the new purchase. Catering to specific needs like yours is easy, as long as you understand I can get the part. It may take some time, but thats the cheapest way. Tomorrow? This is what it will cost, and if thats too much, I'm sorry. Carry all parts for every saw? I'd only be able to carry one saw, and you better be willing to buy lots of them.

Jeff hits the nail on the head for this thread and subject.

While I was at the local Stihl dealer's yesterday for a throttle cable ass'y for a dinosaur 011 AVT I am rebuilding for my stepson, a lady came to pick up her husband's saw, an eight year old 031 without the top cover and with a ruptured molded black rubber fuel line. She brought it in that morning and expected it repaired by closing time. The fuel line part number was susperceded and the dealer had neither one in stock so he was going to have to punt to keep her happy. He asked her to come back by 5:00 and he'd have it fixed. I understood the dilemma and left quietly.
Respectfully, Sherm

Wondering if anyone had ever purchase something as small as two circlips. I have stopped by two dealers and neither had them in stock. Now, I was ready to place an order for a set of circlips which cost $2.59 for both and at checkout the shipping was $8. I guess it must be "If it fits it ships" shipping.:bang:

Can't these things be taped to the inside of an envelope and shipped in a .50 cent envelope/stamp? Or tape them both to an invoice and throw invoice in the envelope and ship it with regular mail.

This has got to be the most expensive shipping for the smallest item I've ever come across. Am I being cheap?

That is ridiculous.

This thread has gone from why it costs that much for shipping two circlips to why dealers don't stock them or this or that. I would like to just stick with why two circlips, or small items like circlips, would cost that much to ship and not talk about why not stock them and fix my saw now or get a beating for not getting it done fast enough and or cheap. Can't have fast and cheap shipping. If they are available behind the counter for sale then they are available to ship if advertised, either way there is someone on the other side of the counter making a purchase, be it in person or online order someone still needs to handle the customer.

Obviously if someone is willing to order parts online then there is no rush to get a saw fixed, so the time it takes to get the part in the mail is not a problem.

Now if someone is in a rush to fix an older saw model no longer selling NIB and NEEDS saw fixed NOW, then it's a different story. That someone should get hit in the head with a 36" bar(without chain) from behind the counter. You need it yesterday, I'll order it second day air and have the pilot parachute down to your house for this much more. This thread wasn't about second day air, can't imagine what that would cost.

Didn't really think much about this thread when I started it and wanted to hear if anyone had ordered things this small with high shipping. I was looking from the buyers side didn't realize there are many dealers/sellers on here defending themselves and I apologize. No need to carry on this thread any longer because of two circlips. I'm very thankful for having them now to fix my saw and will avoid asking about things like this in the future. I feel like I'm getting hit in the head now with that 36" bar for asking.

The thread dwindles away and small items still bring high shipping cost.

I compliment you fidiro for starting the thread. I like the slogan "we all learn from each other" regardless of age experience and other settings. My perspective has gained by your initiative. I also like your easy going sense of humor. But my 36" bar stays on my Echo CS-8000 and the 32" bar stays on my MS460 'cause I need them for work. Man, that kind of bat from behind the counter would sure hurt the noggin! It would be a killer.

Have a great day.

I'm not bashing anybody. Just trying to educate, myself included. I've ranted before on why you can't buy a 25 year old saw a new piston, no, not even order it. I understand to a point when stuff collects more dust than income its wise not to have it around, unless you collect the stuff it fits, or need it. You can't borrow money to make money on inventory, and if it (that inventory) can't make you what putting the same money in the bank will make nowadays, then the inventory isn't worth it either. I don't understand why they couldn't put it on their stock order, but I'm not them, and while $8.00 is kinda nuts, if they stay in business, then I guess thats what it will cost to do business with them.

Back