Northstar Splitters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've saw this splitter in the local store many times. Its a moose, to say the least. To me it almost seems too big to be practical. And its not for splitting ordianry sized firewood. But for big boys, there's big toys

I've saw this splitter in the local store many times. Its a moose, to say the least. To me it almost seems too big to be practical. And its not for splitting ordianry sized firewood. But for big boys, there's big toys

What store did you see it in. I would like to see one in person.

I saw one too at my local northern store. Seem overpriced for what you get and in some ways over built. I do like the wedge is on the right end of the beam. Maby if it had interchangeable wedges it would be more justifiable for the cost.

My local rental yard has the Northstar 30 Ton Splitter. I have rented it many times and have been more than impressed. I have never had wood that it cannot split. It is made very well and it has the GX Series Honda motor (Commercial Series). When I get ready to buy one, it will be a Northstar.

I saw one too at my local northern store. Seem overpriced for what you get and in some ways over built. I do like the wedge is on the right end of the beam. Maby if it had interchangeable wedges it would be more justifiable for the cost.

+1^

Interchangable wedges would be a problem, the slide on 4 way would be the way to go. 660 lb lift? Is it just me or does that seem small to anyone?

I have the 37 ton and am very happy with it. I needed to add a guard to protect the gas tank when using it horizontally. Other than that I use it as they made it.

Looks to me like you would need to add a table to the left of the wedge to catch the wood that needs to be split again. Otherwise you'd have to pick it up off the ground.
That thing you are looking at looks like it will split a LOT of wood!

+1^

Interchangable wedges would be a problem, the slide on 4 way would be the way to go. 660 lb lift? Is it just me or does that seem small to anyone?

660 lbs would not fit in my stove in my stove even with a 4 way wedge

I have the 37 ton and am very happy with it. I needed to add a guard to protect the gas tank when using it horizontally. Other than that I use it as they made it.

Looks to me like you would need to add a table to the left of the wedge to catch the wood that needs to be split again. Otherwise you'd have to pick it up off the ground.
That thing you are looking at looks like it will split a LOT of wood!
Yeah a table grate would be in the works for sure. Hard to believe they don't have one on a unit that size

What store did you see it in. I would like to see one in person.

Like adam21584 said, at a local Northern tool store. I also have a northern tool splitter, a 22 tonner. Much like the 22 ton, the 30 and the 37 are all similar in size. About the size you would expect a log splitter to be. But the 42 ton model is over twice the size of a ordianry splitter. There is no way this splitter would even think about entering a wooded area. Most splitters can be hauled behind a four wheeler but a tractor or pickup would be needed for this boy. The wedge on the end of the splitter is at least a foot tall or more. The 30 inch splits wouldnt fit into any woodstove I have ever saw. But perhaps for a owb. If your looking to use it for commercial use it could be justified. But for personal use it would be overkill.

Like adam21584 said, at a local Northern tool store. I also have a northern tool splitter, a 22 tonner. Much like the 22 ton, the 30 and the 37 are all similar in size. About the size you would expect a log splitter to be. But the 42 ton model is over twice the size of a ordianry splitter. There is no way this splitter would even think about entering a wooded area. Most splitters can be hauled behind a four wheeler but a tractor or pickup would be needed for this boy. The wedge on the end of the splitter is at least a foot tall or more. The 30 inch splits wouldnt fit into any woodstove I have ever saw. But perhaps for a owb. If your looking to use it for commercial use it could be justified. But for personal use it would be overkill.

Yeah just shopping. I have a owb so the long split would be nice. How do you think it would compare to a Timberwolf tw-5 Or tw-6 or built-rite/ split-right

I know this is an old post, but any chance anyone is still running one of these northstar splitters? I was trying to look for some info on the cylinders, specifically the rod size on each of the models. None of the literature from Northern tool states that dimension.

New I have the 37 ton NorthStar. I purchased it a year ago. So far so good. It has a 5"x24" rod.

Look under the key specs section:

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200631583_200631583

I know this is an old post, but any chance anyone is still running one of these northstar splitters? I was trying to look for some info on the cylinders, specifically the rod size on each of the models. None of the literature from Northern tool states that dimension.

Not for sure on the new ones but my BIL boss has a older one with a 5 inch cylinder and it has a standard 2.5 inch rod on the cylinder. I sure most of there splitters are running standard size rods on there cylinders. Most of the time to get a splitter that has a over sized rod for faster cycle times you get in to high dollars splitters.

Back