Ya gotta love a good oil thread.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use 87 non-ethanol gas mixed with 4oz of Belray H1R and 2oz of 108 Octane Boost per gallon.

I use the 87 because I figure it's fresher than the 91 that no one buys.

The octane boost came about because I build saws with well over 200psi pretty regularly. One saw in particular (Rolltide's 395XP) wanted to run on after a long cut when shut off. The octane boost stopped that issue.

The 32:1 ratio is because 4oz per gallon is simple......real simple. That and the extra oil makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

I started using H1R after someone posted a link to a RC site oil comparison (you think us chainsaw heads are freaky check out those guys).

So.....what do you use and why?

ya, your 87 drops even more with all that oil, so of course you need an octane boost. There's no way it is ever going to hit that minimum saw company recommended octane of 89 starting out below that number..without having to add some other jazz to it.

I just go ahead and run the local 93 no ethanol stuff, owner told me he gets a steady sales there from the hotrid kids and powerboat guys, so it appears to be "fresh enough". I tried 89, doesn't work as well.

Oh, echo oil, FD rated, at three oz/gallon. Probably not needed, but...ehh..I do it anyway. 50:1 I think is EPA crap, not engineering. Could be completely wrong though, I just think so. That number is just too "cute", too even... 32 to 1 I think is overkill for most purposes, and obviously will drop octane rating. Don't have the means or inclination to have multiple same exact engines and run catastrophic testing to really find out, so try to stay in the middle of the "how much oil" opinions. And I also don't want to buy another can of crap to make a mix, just gas and oil.

I'll run some seafoam in older engines I know for a fact are carboned up, that's it. Mostly 4 smokes.

attachment.php

I'd still would like to find a good AFFORDABLE oil that I can run in everything.

We have burnt 30 gallons of pre-mix in a good weekend before.

Regular gas w/ Valvoline @ 40:1 for the Homeowner leaf blower (for blowing snow off the wood piles), old Toro 2T snowblower, home owner chainsaws.

Mid-grade w/ Husky oil @ 40-50:1 for the Husky's

Regular w/ Yammalube @ 32-40:1 for 4-6 snowmobiles.

I hate carbon build up, but I can't afford to burn anything down.

Man is it that slow in here! :msp_biggrin:

I am glad I read you were using in snowmobiles. If I burned 30 gallons of premix through a chainsaw in a weekend even with a group of guys we would have enough wood to build the Ark all over again.

Amsoil 2oz a gallon of 91 no ethanol. I run Amsoil because I get quarts for under 8 dollars.

Here in these parts we use lots of non-ethanol gasoline. For my saws I mix 89 Octane w/ 50:1 stihl ultra.

Amsoil 2oz a gallon of 91 no ethanol. I run Amsoil because I get quarts for under 8 dollars.

Is that at 80-1 ratio? 2.6 is 50-1? I don't think I could feel comfortable with that but it obviously works for some people

Is that at 80-1 ratio? 2.6 is 50-1? I don't think I could feel comfortable with that but it obviously works for some people

I'm thinking it's more like 70:1. 1.3 oz is 100:1 and 2.6oz is 50:1. Was going for 64:1 but figured pouring 2 oz is easier on figuring it out. I don't have a measurer I guess if that's what you would wanna call it. Correct me if I'm wrong. Now you got me thinking and that's never a good thing.lol

I use 87 non-ethanol gas mixed with 4oz of Belray H1R and 2oz of 108 Octane Boost per gallon.

I use the 87 because I figure it's fresher than the 91 that no one buys.

The octane boost came about because I build saws with well over 200psi pretty regularly. One saw in particular (Rolltide's 395XP) wanted to run on after a long cut when shut off. The octane boost stopped that issue.

The 32:1 ratio is because 4oz per gallon is simple......real simple. That and the extra oil makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

I started using H1R after someone posted a link to a RC site oil comparison (you think us chainsaw heads are freaky check out those guys).
So.....what do you use and why?

Hi Randy: I looked up those products. The oil looks promising, but most guys made fun of all the octane boosters, and others said it only raises the octane level to a .1 above the original rating. :msp_confused:

Since my stash of Whale oil has been used up.

32:1 Klotz Super TecniPlate, 110 VP (Sunoco) Purple.

This looks like an appropriate place to ask this: I have access to a large quantity of xylene. Could I use this as an octane boost?

If so I could use the fresher 87 octane. Unfortunately I don't have access to ethanol free fuel.

I use H1R or Maxima K2 @ 32:1 with 89 octane fuel.

Wish I could find an old can of this stuff from the 1970's,
that I ran in the the ring-dings.
White paper, steel ended with orange lettering that said...
"Analube" .
The oil was orange too.

Yeah yeah, everybody got knee-slappy about the name,
clerk at the bike shop always giggled when he rung it up.
....think it was proclaimed to be from analogues(?) to dino-lube
or some such 70's speak.

No scuffing, or heavy crud on the sides of the slug.
Rings were free, nice light oily sheen to bottom end
when you pulled the jug, to massage the ports a bit more.
So... where'd it go ??

This looks like an appropriate place to ask this: I have access to a large quantity of xylene. Could I use this as an octane boost?

If so I could use the fresher 87 octane. Unfortunately I don't have access to ethanol free fuel.

I use H1R or Maxima K2 @ 32:1 with 89 octane fuel.

save the xylene for huffing dude. Don't waste a buzz like that on a chainsaw. Sheesh

100LL with a spritz of WD-40, something like 250:1. Saws run kinda ok sometimes, for a little while :laugh:

Latest posts

Back