Ya gotta love a good oil thread.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well Andy,

you've surely studied the subject.

I dunno which is best, just know what works for me.

Kinda like me saws, don't need the very latest, bestest, just one that rips.

The Best

I Recomend it 10:1

attachment.php

Does anyone else realize that the OP is sitting somewhere quietly laughing his ass off at all this ruckus?:clap:

91 octane and Stihl Ultra HP 50:1 in all of my saws and trimmer. Non ethanol fuel not available here. I use my saws enough so that the ethanol isn't an issue anyway.

Tractor Supply bar and chain oil because it's cheap. :D

This wasn't a serious thread? :msp_wink:

93 non E with H1R for me at 3 oz per gallon.

A while ago I had some red-line 2t oil mixed up in jug so I diluted it to 40:1 to put it into the saw, as some time cutting away I noticed the on the top of the muffler was wet with oil. High flashpoint.

The bad part about redline is that it has poor corrosion resistance properties, so you have to fog it before you put it away. That’s right it’s so bad that you get a rusty bottom end. But that’s not what the oil was designed for. It’s for race engines that get torn down on a regular basis. It’s super clean, and intended for high rpm applications under high stress. Oh and it stinks.

Normally I run Stihl premium mixed at 40:1 with shell 91 non-alcholic.

bucknfeller -Apologies there.
Seems like i've been stuck in a brain phart mode for a couple of days.
-
gettin to be troublesome from things like losing my camera
and other little "glitches" .

Nothing but 91 octane non-ethanol and Stihl Ultra. Reviewed a test done by VA Beach comparing oils, they ran BR 500 blowers for a 1000 hours on differnt mixes, and did a tear down, the blower that ran Ultra had negligible wear, still had the hatch marks, very,very little carbon others had different degrees of wear and carbon build up. The Ultra has 20% more lubricicty than Stihl orange bottle, 40% more carbon removing detergents and has a inhibitor than protects you carbs brass and copper internals from the water and alcohol in todays gas. Sure it cost a little more and there are other good mixes out there, but with Stihl doubling the warranty on any unit that get's purchased with a six pack of Ultra is convincing, blowers go to four years, saws to two. Got to be good oil.

And I am under the same belief as you Randy. 87 or 89 because that is what gets used the most. Started getting non ethanol fuel at the marina in the summer (91 I think).

Back