Sure is quiet in here....do I need to start a fight?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Done many sets of steel truck and car rims, blasted them with the 250 or 750 Sullair providing the air and running no 1 sand will clean them real quick like, anything less sucks! I do the alloy rims with number 0 glass bead and then give them a light coat of paint, just rattle can them and they really stand up well. Did the first ones over 10 years ago, they still look good.

Done many sets of steel truck and car rims, blasted them with the 250 or 750 Sullair providing the air and running no 1 sand will clean them real quick like, anything less sucks! I do the alloy rims with number 0 glass bead and then give them a light coat of paint, just rattle can them and they really stand up well. Did the first ones over 10 years ago, they still look good.

Yeah this was quick and dirty...original painted steel rims...17" 06 Chevy.. Went right after them with a 4 1/2" wire wheel on my mini grinder....took rust and whatever paint that was not good an solid.....quick but messy. Cleaned with dewaxer/degreaser and shot with selfetching primer.....good stuff!! Then shot a good coat of black stone guard. Not going to win any beauty contests but clean, one color and not rusty!! Good enough for snow tires on a work truck....industrial looking!! Just finished when the power went down at the shop around 4 this afternoon...all over town actually...home now on generator....get some pics when the lights come back on.

I once watched a good friend and neighbor do his wheels your way, with wire wheel on grinder. He was retired and also more than a tad stubborn. I offered to blast them but he kept saying, no, that he had the time on his hands and would clean them up his way. After about 4 days he asked if I would mind painting them with my DeVilbis paint gun, I already had the paint and necessary thinners and solvents. I just told him to leave them in the shop and I would do them after work one night that week. Next morning I tossed them in my truck and dropped them off to my buddy that blasts on a daily basis, he chided me about the wire wheel work til I told him different. When I picked them up after work that evening they had been blasted perfectly white, I rushed them home and gave them a fresh coat of etch primer, went home and ate supper and went back to the shop to apply the color top coats. The owner of the wheels showed up just as I was ready to shoot the black and he looked over the primer. He then stated, see I told you I had them cleaned up perfectly good for paint, can`t even see any of them scratch marks or blotches you told me that would show up. I just said, yep you done a good job cleaning them up, they will look great with the new paint, good as new....LOL

RIP....Paul Clayton Timmons...

Yep blasting is the best way......the paint on these modern GM wheels is very, very thin and what hasn't fallen off goes away real quick...I was about 15 min per wheel.....nothing to be seen after primer except a little roughness where rust had pitted several twonie sized areas......the stone guard is textured a bit so it all blended to sameness.....like I said probably not for your Vette but fine for studded snows on a work truck...will last as long as the truck probably...148,800 miles on her now.....gonna have 4 new Nokia snowtires on these rims and 4 near new summer tires on OEM chrome rims....these should last the ol' girl out......

Back