Wait for 462 or snag 661 now

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tex68w

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I currently have a MS261 C-M with 16" and 20" bars for my around the house saw, it has been absolutely fantastic in every way, I love that little saw. I recently picked a MS201T C-M for light stuff and in the tree work, it's too early to tell how I feel about it, but I have faith that it'll be a nice long term top handle. That leads me to my next purchase, I'd like something that can easily handle a 24-28" bar for larger bucking and felling needs (mostly pecans, larger oaks, cedar, and cottonwoods).

I used to have a MS440 Mag but I sold it because it would never stay running for more than 5 minutes, maybe I gave up too easily, but it's gone. I like the specs of the new MS462 C-M, it's a whopping 3lbs lighter than the MS661 and I figure I can probably run a 30" bar on it should I need the length at some point. The few European reviews I have seen seem to favor it highly and claim it's a game changer due to its power to weight ratio, but sadly it's not available here just yet and who knows if it'll even make it stateside this year?! I've read a lot conflicting info on the 661, it's a heavy saw and has the common issue of not being able to start again after it gets hot, but it has gobs of power and is probably more saw then I will ever need making it the biggest I'd likely ever buy.

So should I wait around for the 462 to hit our shores and hope that it's everything I want it to be or pick up a 661 now and get to work on these dead trees soon before it's 100F+ here in Texas this summer?

I found a great deal on a MS362 C-M that was used once to cut down one tree, looks brand new and comes with a case for a song, I want to pick it up since it's literally half off, but it's not much more saw than my 261 and I am not sure I should bother, thoughts?

I currently have a MS261 C-M with 16" and 20" bars for my around the house saw, it has been absolutely fantastic in every way, I love that little saw. I recently picked a MS201T C-M for light stuff and in the tree work, it's too early to tell how I feel about it, but I have faith that it'll be a nice long term top handle. That leads me to my next purchase, I'd like something that can easily handle a 24-28" bar for larger bucking and felling needs (mostly pecans, larger oaks, cedar, and cottonwoods).

I used to have a MS441 Mag but I sold it because it would never stay running for more than 5 minutes, maybe I gave up too easily, but it's gone. I like the specs of the new MS462 C-M, it's a whopping 3lbs lighter than the MS661 and I figure I can probably run a 30" bar on it should I need the length at some point. The few European reviews I have seen seem to favor it highly and claim it's a game changer due to its power to weight ratio, but sadly it's not available here just yet and who knows if it'll even make it stateside this year?! I've read a lot conflicting info on the 661, it's a heavy saw and has the common issue of not being able to start again after it gets hot, but it has gobs of power and is probably more saw then I will ever need making it the biggest I'd likely ever buy.

So should I wait around for the 462 to hit our shores and hope that it's everything I want it to be or pick up a 661 now and get to work on these dead trees soon before it's 100F+ here in Texas this summer?

I found a great deal on a MS362 C-M that was used once to cut down one tree, looks brand new and comes with a case for a song, I want to pick it up since it's literally half off, but it's not much more saw than my 261 and I am not sure I should bother, thoughts?

MS461R unless you are going over 30”.

Then go with the 661R.

24" is too much for the the 362's oil pump and the weight makes the balance too far out. 20" would be perfect. You could get a used 460 or 461 then sell it when the 462 comes here, if you want one. A 460/461 might need the HO oil pump for a 28" bar. It does for a 32". The R comes with the HO oil pump. You can buy the parts to convert a regular pump, or a new HO pump. A stock 460 can pull 32" skip through hardwood. A 661 would do it faster of course, but it's significantly heavier.

My 261 & 661 are my bigger saws but I have my dads 044 out here as an in between saw. I've been thinking of a 362 to run a 20" b/c because most of my firewood is that size or smaller. This leads me to what I would do if I were in your shoes. If the larger wood could wait, get the 362 now and the 462 when its available. Total cost won't be much more than the 661 in the end and you'll have 4 saws instead of 3. However if you'll be in 30" stuff quite often you'll not be worried about the higher weight. A 24/25" bar on a 661 is about the shortest I'd go.

Which size bar are you running on your 261? I have been running a 20" on my MS261 C-M as of late and I feel it does a great job, but if I end up picking up that 362 I'll likely drop the 261 to a 16" and keep the 20" on the 362.

I'll be honest, the 461R is tempting, but I am sold on the M-Tronic setup and as close as we are to the 462 launch I might just wait for it. If I come across a clean, low hour 661 in the meantime then I'll likely jump on it as I don't see that saw being replaced for a few more years, the 880 is more overdue for a revamp and that'd be my guess for the next new saw in the lineup.

Which size bar are you running on your 261? I have been running a 20" on my MS261 C-M as of late and I feel it does a great job, but if I end up picking up that 362 I'll likely drop the 261 to a 16" and keep the 20" on the 362.

I'll be honest, the 461R is tempting, but I am sold on the M-Tronic setup and as close as we are to the 462 launch I might just wait for it. If I come across a clean, low hour 661 in the meantime then I'll likely jump on it as I don't see that saw being replaced for a few more years, the 880 is more overdue for a revamp and that'd be my guess for the next new saw in the lineup.

A 461 isn't m-tronic...that's what I'd buy if I was you.

Buy the R model so you get all the extras and swap to a standard handle if you don't like wraps.

A 461 isn't m-tronic...that's what I'd buy if I was you.

But the R model so you get all the extras and swap to a standard handle if you don't like wraps.

Yea, I am aware that the 461 isn't M-Tronic, to clarify, I was saying that I DO like the M-Tronic carbs, they have been effortless so far.

Might I ask why you recommend the 461? Are you not a fan of the M-Tronic saws or do you just prefer the older tech?

I like standard carb, just me.....I would get a 461

If you are only needing up to a 28”, you don’t need a 661 honestly....

I been trying to find a problem for my 461 for almost 2-years with no luck, damn things tough....

I just cut a maple down and threw a 32” on it and I was shocked how easily the saw ran the bar....granted I call silver maple soft, but still....

With a 261 and a 461 you could do any job....

Yea, I am aware that the 461 isn't M-Tronic, to clarify, I was saying that I DO like the M-Tronic carbs, they have been effortless so far.

Might I ask why you recommend the 461? Are you not a fan of the M-Tronic saws or do you just prefer the older tech?

It's just a deadnuts saw, there is really nothing to complain about with it.

Like these guys said, 461 if you need the saw now, or 462 if you don't mind waiting. The Husqvarna 572 is suppose to be released around August so i'm thinking the 462 should be released around then.

While my experience with the MS440 wasn't pleasurable, maybe I should consider the 441 C-M? It's a 70cc saw, it has the M-Tronic carb and that allows me to comfortably run a 28" bar if needed. I would then have a 50cc, 70cc, and that would leave me the 90cc 661 to acquire next year should I need a 30-36" bar.

While my experience with the MS440 wasn't pleasurable, maybe I should consider the 441 C-M? It's a 70cc saw, it has the M-Tronic carb and that allows me to comfortably run a 28" bar if needed. I would then have a 50cc, 70cc, and that would leave me the 90cc 661 to acquire next year should I need a 30-36" bar.

I am a big fan of the 441RCM and was going to suggest it. Smoothest saw out there.

3b1a0dfc5e08c5bd81ff19eb0324ff55.jpg

I have a 361, 461, 660, & a 661.

I also have a MS440 with a 46 top end on it.

I’ve had 3-460s & a 1/2 dozen 044/440s.

I’ve run a 441 & I do not care for them.

Unless it’s Big Big stuff, I’ll take my 461. And by Big, I mean over 32”. Mine is Ported.

Your Milage May Vary, but not by much.

I guess a 462 is in your future.

3b1a0dfc5e08c5bd81ff19eb0324ff55.jpg

I have a 361, 461, 660, & a 661.

I also have a MS440 with a 46 top end on it.

I’ve had 3-460s & a 1/2 dozen 044/440s.

I’ve run a 441 & I do not care for them.

Unless it’s Big Big stuff, I’ll take my 461. And by Big, I mean over 32”. Mine is Ported.

Your Milage May Vary, but not by much.

I guess a 462 is in your future.

I haven’t had as many saws as you have, but I’ve had an 044, 440 and a 460. I much prefer the 441RCM. It’s ported also. I like the new school over the old school. Just different opinions.[emoji846]

I really like my 661. Very smooth and powerful. I run 28" and 36" bars and do a little milling too. It's heavy but when you get into the big stuff, you won't be disappointed. Sometimes it's a little stubborn on a warm start. Just hold the throttle and it starts. Another thing to consider, it's only about $100 more than the 461. You won't be disappointed either way.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Back