Wait for 462 or snag 661 now

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 461r is ported, I’ve also got a 661. It’s an interesting delima because the cost is close and the weight is about the same (if you get a 461r). I find myself using my 461r a lot while my 661 watches from the back of the truck. I can’t explain it, even in stock form I really like the torque and power of a 461.

Not at all saying I’m right just giving my experience.

I’m not super keen on getting first release electronic saws, every one Stihl has released has had a few hiccups. Once they are right though I will say they are great to run.

My Stihl dealership told me release of the MS462C has been delayed on several European markets. A Late Spring/early Summer launch is still possible but even that would be several months later than originally scheduled.
It's still available in Germany, Switzerland and Austria where it was launched last year.
No word on why but apparently Stihl is looking on how to lower the MS462C "street price" to make it competitive with the 572XP without causing their dealers to openly riot. For those who haven't followed the news Husqvarna has priced their new saw very aggressively.
So if you really really want an MS462C you'd better either be patient or hope these pricing issues are quickly solved.

So my dealer called yesterday and talked to the main distributor, they said they still have no official date on its release stateside, but the rumors have been late summer or fall. He was told that they have had issues with the saw and they are trying to work out the bugs before they launch it in other markets. This is supposedly from the mouth of Andreas Stihl’s grandson, but take it for what it’s worth. The saw is to compete directly with the 572 XP, but the pricing isn’t competitive with the Husky and that’s probably going to be a problem.

I contacted Stihl via @IG and this is the response I got in regards to my inquiry about the 462 availbility/launch here in the states.

gfRVkvS.jpg

Needless to say I have to get to work on these trees this spring so I'll likely be picking up a different saw in the interim. BIL said he'd buy whichever saw I pick up when I get ready to snag a 462 later in the year. He's partial to the MS441 R C-M, so I went ahead and told the dealer to get one on the way.

I contacted Stihl via @IG and this is the response I got in regards to my inquiry about the 462 availbility/launch here in the states.

gfRVkvS.jpg

Needless to say I have to get to work on these trees this spring so I'll likely be picking up a different saw in the interim. BIL said he'd buy whichever saw I pick up when I get ready to snag a 462 later in the year. He's partial to the MS441 R C-M, so I went ahead and told the dealer to get one on the way.

I wish we could believe them, but they said right in their response that local Stihl dealers are the best source for new product information. Yeah, right.... That's a pretty good one right there. ;)

^^^ I agree, if that were the case then they would know and not a single one has any info. I can't wait for an unknown date so the 441 R C-M will have to make do in order to stay on schedule. From what I've read/heard, it's an extremely smooth running saw, so it should make for a pleasurable experience to run, **fingers crossed**

^^^ I agree, if that were the case then they would know and not a single one has any info. I can't wait for an unknown date so the 441 R C-M will have to make do in order to stay on schedule. From what I've read/heard, it's an extremely smooth running saw, so it should make for a pleasurable experience to run, **fingers crossed**

Will pull a 24/25" bar/chain no problem, a 32" if necessary but it's a slow go in hardwood.

Will pull a 24/25" bar/chain no problem, a 32" if necessary but it's a slow go in hardwood.

Good to hear! I ordered it with a 28" bar to give me the extra length over the 20" I already have. I hope it can pull that well through pecan, ash, cedar, oak, and cottonwood?!

I am still contemplating picking up that first gen MS362 C-M as well for an in between option, but I have read some conflicting info in regards to the M-tronic on that particular saw and use in arid and humid climates. Is there any cause for concern with that saw at all?

gfRVkvS.jpg

Please consider trying a 461R before you buy that 41.

https://m.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/professional-saws/ms461r/

If I could get my hands on one I would, not too many big cc saws running around these parts and most that do don't have the wrap handle. Not to mention, even if there was one lying around at a shop, they aren't going to let me take a brand new, on the shelf saw out for a test drive. Like I said earlier, I am partial to the M-tronic stuff, my MS261 C-M has made me a believer and my BIL is going to purchase the saw from me (the 441 is what he prefers) when I finally get my hands on a MS462 R C-M and seeing how he doesn't want a 461, it makes no sense for me to buy one with the intention of offloading it. He plans to have it as his only saw and run both the 20" and the 28" bar on it.

If I could get my hands on one I would, not too many big cc saws running around these parts and most that do don't have the wrap handle. Not to mention, even if there was one lying around at a shop, they aren't going to let me take a brand new, on the shelf saw out for a test drive. Like I said earlier, I am partial to the M-tronic stuff, my MS261 C-M has made me a believer and my BIL is going to purchase the saw from me (the 441 is what he prefers) when I finally get my hands on a MS462 R C-M and seeing how he doesn't want a 461, it makes no sense for me to buy one with the intention of offloading it. He plans to have it as his only saw and run both the 20" and the 28" bar on it.

I understand.

The 441 reminds me of a Buick Electra 225 with old shocks.

You sure don’t like the 441, do ya.[emoji51]

It appears most just jump to the 461 since it's nearly the same weight and .40hp more. I understand that argument, but it's the M-tronic carb that sells me on the 441, I'll likely have it a year max before my BIL buys it off of me and it gets replaced with the 462 so I am not concerned about having less power.

Back