What to get.....462 or 661

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I was going to carry one all day every day, holding it at arms reach or overhead, then yes, a 462 would definitely be noticeable. To each his own I guess...

I have done a lot of backpacking, and yes weight does matter. But I was never about cutting the ends off my tooth brush, attempting to live off the fishing in the lakes, or buying the latest and most expensive gear to save an ounce or a pound here. Hike a little slower, take more breaks, don't go quite as far into the wilderness, i.e. use your head.

Likewise, don't expect to swing a saw around over your head, it being a 661, a 462, or a tiny little electric pruner. And just what else are you carrying while trekking into bear country with your 462? Gallons of gas, a tool box for repairs, snatch blocks, cables and chains, ....?

I've seen guys toting saws in, and they carry them on their shoulders, with thick padding over the B&C, so a few ounces or a couple of pounds is not the burden one might make it out to be.

I hit post before I could finish my thought.

Having spent a chunk of my life in the Airborne Infantry and also on 1000's of miles hiking the nation's trails, I can assure you of one thing - "ounces equal pounds and pounds equal pain".
Anyone that says a few ounces or pounds doesn't matter when hiking in the mountains, or otherwise is speaking from a point of pure ignorance. I've hiked portions of the Appalachian trail, every bit of weight counts!

When in doubt go bigger as that 661 will eat a 462 up in big timber. Unless you are carrying the saw a lot cutting wood the extra weight just makes the saw go through timber better and it also cuts down on vibration. Also you have the option of using a 36" bar with authority and a 462 will not fair very well with one.

Anyone that says a few ounces or pounds doesn't matter when hiking in the mountains, or otherwise is speaking from a point of pure ignorance. I've hiked portions of the Appalachian trail, every bit of weight counts!
Well in that case YOU are the man!

Several more thoughts about this 462 vs 661 debate that have not been mentioned here. When you get older (and you WILL get older) your doctors will start talking to you about things like white finger, carpel tunnel, tendonitis, osteoarthritis, or even more severe things like vibration triggered urticaria or degenerative spine disease.... you need to think about vibration as well as the added weight. And also the torque of the saw that you have to fight in the cuts. Comparing the power to weight ratio, they are both exactly the same at 1.4. Comparing the vibration of the 661 to the 462, they are miles apart. Vibration will not only cause more fatigue in the short run, but it can also lead to long term permanent damage. Comparing the saws:

MS462 power: 6.0 Bhp. Weight: 13.3 lb. Vibration in m/s*s left/right: 4.8/3.6
MS661 power: 7.2 Bhp. weight: 16.3 lb. Vibration in m/s*s left/right: 6.9/5.6 <---WAY MORE VIBRATION and well into the cautionary zone for longer use

So save a few second in the cut for lugging more weight and exposure to way more vibration? No thanks. I would still opt for the 462 between these two.

Now the fix for this debate between the 462 and the 661 is the 500i. The new miracle saw out in Europe. Due out in the USA at the end of the year. Maybe... never know with Stihl and new saw release dates. It was supposed to be available here by now.

MS500i power: 6.8 Bhp. weight: 13.7 lb. Vibration in m/s*s left/right: 4.2/4.0

The 500i is lighter than the 462, almost the power of a 661, and smoother than either. <---- THE WINNER. NO BRAINER. NO COMPARISON.

I got these numbers from the European and NZ web sites. The vibration numbers are not listed in the US.

When in doubt go bigger as that 661 will eat a 462 up in big timber. Unless you are carrying the saw a lot cutting wood the extra weight just makes the saw go through timber better and it also cuts down on vibration. Also you have the option of using a 36" bar with authority and a 462 will not fair very well with one.
Unless you need to pack it on your hike up the Appalachian trail, in that case better bring the 462

Appreciate the replies and I ordered a 462 from the local dealer this evening. Can’t wait to pick it up in a couple days once it arrives from Stihl. He only had 461’s on the shelf.

Good choice. Also cool that your dealer ordered the 462 for you with 461s on the shelf. Most dealers here will not sell a newer saw model until the older model saws are sold out.

I totally agree MontanaResident!

Some people just can’t listen.

I’ll try one more time. For the intended purpose of the saw, bucking and felling large trees the weight is not as big of a factor.

Now if your going to limb and trim, swing it over your head, sword fight a bear with it, or pack it on long hikes through large mountain ranges then by all means use the smaller saw.

Appreciate the replies and I ordered a 462 from the local dealer this evening. Can’t wait to pick it up in a couple days once it arrives from Stihl. He only had 461’s on the shelf.
Nice! Did you go with 25” bar and chain? Stihl dealer in my town won’t put a 462 on the shelf until 461’s are gone.

I've seen guys toting saws in, and they carry them on their shoulders, with thick padding over the B&C, so a few ounces or a couple of pounds is not the burden one might make it out to be.

A couple of summers ago we had to dig a big hole in the woods. Needed to move the outhouse. A girl who was visiting at the time was interested in helping out. She thought it'd be best if as many people could be there as possible so we could all take short turns. She said that she had watched someone dig a hole before and that it was clearly hard work; the guy was sweating really hard she recalled. Just cracked me up. She was in her mid thirties, by the way. Never had dug a hole.

Latest posts

Back