What to get.....462 or 661

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

merkel

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was at the dealer today and handled a 462 and 661 both with 25” ES bars (non light version). With basically only 100.00 difference between the two and the last large saw I will buy I am second guessing the 462 and just move up to the 661. The saw would be a weekend warrior saw a couple times a year and most likely a 25” bar is all I will ever need. Just can’t decide which one to order tomorrow. If I had to lug it all day the 462 is a no brainer but since I will not be using it much the 661 started to become more interesting%

If it is only $100, get the 661. It will be a bit more weight, but the POWER is so nice to have.
My other question would be is this is a new or older production 661? You don't want one with a build date amore than a year out. With a 25" bar all you're doing with a 661 is carrying around more weight IMHO.

If all you are running is a 24 inch bar a 440 to 462 will do you just fine. 661 is a big saw to manage, and a waste with only a 24 inch bar. If you are cutting super hardwood like osage orange or eucalyptus down under it would make sense. But if you are cutting oak and softwood, a 661 is overkill. 462 will be far easier to run longer and manage. For a part time saw with a 24, you could get by with a 362. I run my 361s with 24 bars most of the time. I cut alder, cherry, oak, pine, fir and maple just fine with them. I only bring out the 660 for the big old growth and to block down the larger hardwood. I cut 6 to 8 cords of wood here a year.

Yes, Stihl calls them 25 inch bars, but they are really 24 inch.

It’s a new version 661 and have other saws I will use more ...50cc and 60cc. I am looking for the next and last step up.....go 70cc or jump to 90cc

The augment that you will only use a 24" bar, so the 462 is all you will ever need, is short sighted. Who knows what you might need to cut in the future, or maybe you might need to mill out a plank for a table or bench top. $100 and you are covered for anything foreseeable.

I traded for an ms880, and I have hardly used it, but when I did, it was very nice to have. A few years ago a beautiful Red Fir was laying off to the side of the road. I would liked to have cut some planks had I the ms880, and it was not around long. A week later I went for it with my ms461 for firewood, but it was gone.

It’s a new version 661 and have other saws I will use more ...50cc and 60cc. I am looking for the next and last step up.....go 70cc or jump to 90cc
Ok you have a 60cc saw, in that case maybe get the 661, but with at least a 28" bar and use it for the big stuff. Now if you really just want to run a saw with a 24 the 661's power will just be wasted, you won't really see a difference cutting wood that size.

If you have 50/60cc saws, from the rave reviews about the MS462 and the 572xp, I would still get one of them. You are more likely to use them. Your 661 would likely be a shelf queen. I rarely use my 660. Just my experience having owned lots of saws. If I had to cut big old cottonwoods here a lot? Or need a 32 inch bar, then the 660 class saw makes sense. Anything less? A 462 and a 28 inch bar is going to be able to do a shyte load of cutting. I used my 440 and 460 way more than my 660s. And I use and have used my 361s way more than any other saws I have had.

If you have 50/60cc saws, from the rave reviews about the MS462 and the 572xp, I would still get one of them. You are more likely to use them. Your 661 would likely be a shelf queen. I rarely use my 660. Just my experience having owned lots of saws. If I had to cut big old cottonwoods here a lot? Or need a 32 inch bar, then the 660 class saw makes sense. Anything less? A 462 and a 28 inch bar is going to be able to do a shyte load of cutting. I used my 440 and 460 way more than my 660s. And I use and have used my 361s way more than any other saws I have had.
I completely agree. I use my 50cc saws more than anything else.

Isn’t there a good chance the 661 is a better choice due to higher resale value down the road? I’ll be honest I never think about this when I buy a saw but I guess it wouldn’t hurt

I completely agree. I use my 50cc saws more than anything else.

I love my 026 50cc saw. Light and nimble. But I run it with 16" picco B&C as a lightly modded screamer, so it is for topping, limbing, and brush work. If I can I will buck up logs with it into firewood from a pile. But I use the 60cc saws mostly. My 361s are not all the same though. One is stock, one is muffler modded, and one is ported and has a 460 oil pump so I can run a 28 on it. So I get away without having a 440 any more.

It really comes down to what you cut. Usually once or twice a year I have to cut large old growth firs here. Or attack a 10 foot oak or maple stump. Or noodle down big rounds. Then the 660 is a marvel with a 28 or 32 on it. But it is tiring to use the beast. And it sucks down gas like crazy. Most of the time the 361s do the grunt work.

Isn’t there a good chance the 661 is a better choice due to higher resale value down the road? I’ll be honest I never think about this when I buy a saw but I guess it wouldn’t hurt

I dunno about Missouri, but in the PNW 70cc saws sell faster and for about the same money. Today used saws on Craigslist in the PNW: 441, $750. 460, $775. 461, $850. 461, $900. 660: $785. $660, $900. 661s here got a bad rep after the Stihl early release fiasco. So people avoid them.

Depends on where you are. HERE, where so many people burn wood for heat, the 60cc saws rule. I think it is that most people aren't chainsaw fanatics, and the 60cc saw do get it done, and people just don't know.

Wait for the 500i as long as it’s reasonably priced. Then let us know how much you like it. If you can’t wait get the 661 with a 28” bar, probably won’t notice the weight difference much.

Wait for the 500i as long as it’s reasonably priced. Then let us know how much you like it. If you can’t wait get the 661 with a 28” bar, probably won’t notice the weight difference much.
The 661 is considerably larger and heavier than the 462 or 500i.

Back