hemostats for chainsaw repair or other use

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And here I thought I was being an oddball by using hemostats while working on engines - now I find out that it is commonplace.

Great tool, if you don't have at least one - get one.

I would also carry one in my tool bum bag on cross-country motorcycle trips (along with some suture kits). It beats the heck out of a curved sewing needle and dental floss for patching up an injury.

Probably not a bad idea to have something like that on hand when out cutting in the bush.

be sure to shave off any of the teeth on them if your grabbing for fuel/impluse lines. Look for a pair or long billed curved ones, actually get two of then one locking and one non-locking, they will become your favourite tools.

I realize this is an old post - but is this still solid advice (shaving off the hemostat teeth/serrations on the jaws)? I've been looking around for a set but have yet to find some with smooth jaws or at least some with jaws that are not heavily serrated.

I realize this is an old post - but is this still solid advice (shaving off the hemostat teeth)? I've been looking around for a set but have yet to find some with smooth grips or at least some with grips that are not heavily serrated.
If you are needing some that are smooth but don't want to file away the teeth you can either slip a small piece of thin tubing over the ends of the Hemostats or put a small piece of heat shrink tubing over the end and then shrink it to the Hemostats, this way you can remove it later if you need them to have some bite, or even put some tape on them long enough to use them.

Of course they make/sell smooth jaw Hemostats as well, but I have always just put something in the jaws to cushion what ever I was clamping.

lostone - thanks, using tape or heat shrink sounds like a good idea. I'll keep looking for a set of smooth jaws as well.

I realize this is an old post - but is this still solid advice (shaving off the hemostat teeth/serrations on the jaws)? I've been looking around for a set but have yet to find some with smooth jaws or at least some with jaws that are not heavily serrated.
They are readily available
For jewelry and non marring applications.
https://www.ebay.com/i/352626969265...dpuNzWHjriuaIPGSlme3Yyux2D-gRUYkaAtsrEALw_wcB
I have many set's.
I use the toothed one's to capture the recoil when i replace starter ropes.
Or fuel/pulse line's.

I have a straight and a curved hemostat set and find them really useful, changing the fuel filter on the tractor or using them to replace fuel line on a chainsaw. The curved set is handy pulling the chainsaw fuel line into the tank through the fill hole. There might be a better way, but I trim the fuel line to long point and stick it through the hole and reach in the fill hole and pull the line through then cut the point off and insert the fuel filter. I picked mine up at that terrible Harbor Freight.

I got a 7" set that has been handy for a lot of thing. Came in very handy when my dog bit a porcupine. He had quills in his gums, tongue, cheeks, lips, etc. Took 3 of us to hold the bugger down with a 4th pulling the quills.

Back