Chain won't spin after tightening the nut

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wonder if he smoked the chainbrake band?
It looks OK here:
image-jpg.486106

LOL! And it gets worse! Getting back to the issue, I like your idea as the best place to start being to mount the B&C without the clutch cover using the nuts & washers & see if the chain can be freely pulled by hand. Another thought comes to mind. If I remember correctly (can't count on that) the OP said he continued to cut after damaging the chain & some smoking occured. I would expect the chain to stretch from being overheated, but maybe some warpage took place?? I had to chime in here, because I am very curious as to what the answer is.
Why did I walk over to this part of the shop again?

I'm curious too! Something doesn't look right about the tail of this bar:
346-pic1-jpg.486243

image-2-jpg.486188

Does it look like it's been cut off, and those corners left sharp? Maybe the tail is too close to the sprocket and the chain is getting hung up on those back corners? Could be just an illusion from the pictures I suppose.

I said that earlier, not the OP. I had a friend with the same issue, he had pryed has cover off. Not the OP.

Bar may have been cut, but it don't look like it was rubbing on clutch. Plus, it ran for an hour plus before with no issues before hit wire.

It does appear that the bar has been altered. WHAT IF: There were thin shims over each stud allowing maybe .01" more space between the clutch cover and bar? The chain hit wire, sending a violent shock through chain and bar. Maybe the shim wasn't fully captured and fell out in between the parts flexing and resetting. Or the shim fell out without you noticing when you removed the clutch cover. IF my highly hypothetical shim or something similar ever existed, it may have been rendered unrecognizable through the wire incident. Obviously this is purely theoretical and just my long winded way to point out that there may have been other alterations other than the bar that appears to have been shaved.

I had to use shims on the bar stud of an 020av to prevent the bar rails from closing and subsequently pinching the chain when the nut was tightened. Only occurred on one particular bar that was a cheap and nasty. Brettl's theory seems interesting as it may address the before and after situation.

The whole bar and chain set up on this ported saw seems very suspect. Short of it being set up for racing I have a funny feeling that the previous owner may have just wanted to get rid of that B&C. Obviously that doesn't address the subject problem nor the fact it worked well before the wire was struck.

Have you tried Chris' suggestion of installing the B&C without the sprocket/clutch cover? That seems to be a good starting point.

Does it look like it's been cut off, and those corners left sharp? Maybe the tail is too close to the sprocket and the chain is getting hung up on those back corners? Could be just an illusion from the pictures I suppose.

That may happen, at least if the one that cut the bar didn't bevel the rear end of the rails properly (since he didn't bother rounding the corners off, it is likely that he didn't).

Wrong sprocket for the chain + a bar that isn't meant for that saw model, and has a questionable modification to the tail...

The issues are adding up - and if that bar is thinner than a .325 NK bar, it is no wonder that it doesn't work (without shims in the clamping area).

Also, the bar is an A095 and not a K095, but that shouldn't really matter by itself with a 7-pin 3/8" rim.

That may happen, at least if the one that cut the bar didn't bevel the rear end of the rails properly (since he didn't bother rounding the corners off, it is likely that he didn't).

Wrong sprocket for the chain + a bar that isn't meant for that saw model, and has a questionable modification to the tail...

The issues are adding up - and if that bar is thinner than a .325 NK bar, it is no wonder that it doesn't work (without shims in the clamping area).

All true but he said it worked before. Imo, it's clear that the wire contact changed enough to cause this. It may be a combination of things. When the impact wit the wire occurred, the chain jerked back against the bar and in turn the bar impacted the front stud. Since the binding occurs when tightening the front stud, maybe the saw is damaged where it threads in. Tightening the stud could be pulling a damaged thread base against the inside of the bar.... Idk, just random thoughts.

My 353 husky you gotta make sure drive links are in sprocket or it will bind too when tighten the bar nuts. Only saw i got that is like this any other saw the chain goes write into place.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Did you count the drive links?? I think the chain is shorter than bar specs and it causes a misalignment...

Back